Quantcast

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    My commentary on it is pretty simple, a shitty game became even shittier.
    its blatant SJW pandering, look at our game! it features a pink haired black girl who's very strong (stronger than her dad!) and she plays music! take that nazis!
    not enough? well now that previously very dangerous biker gang now hires obese women, and they even made a hole for her purple hair to stick out!

Its a fucking trainwreck, thank you Sega for choosing this over SORR.

But hey at least it has Yuzo's music right? so its gonna be a shit game with good music.

I agree with the sentiment, but if gets a physical release, it'd be a 2D beat 'em up on modern hardware. If not, fuck it entirely. It'd just be another piece of software that eventually disappears.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I'm still stoked for this but I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into a mindless PC vehicle for SJW types who find offence in every conceivable area. As a SOR game I want it to have about as much depth as a Death Wish movie, plenty of martial arts beat-em-up violence, great music and solid gameplay. I don't think that's asking too much.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Wow what a time to be alive, lol.

From earlier today.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I didn't realize until now that they drew a beard-like thing with no moustache and a mouth living out of it. They even added shadowing to show the yellow facial mass curving inside the mouth, where lips should be. Kinda adds realism to the floating disconnected arm frame by contrast.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

It turns out the trailers were *really* good.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

I'm hoping that the inclusion of Cherry doesn't mean the omission of Adam. There's no reason a modern game like this couldn't have the entire Hunter family playable as much as I don't care for Skate. The level in that last video linked above looks pretty incomplete to me. It could use some parallax effects and some foreground layers like the original games.

The combo system looks interesting and reminds me of how Street Fighter Alpha 2's system changed in Alpha 3 in order to allow juggle mechanics.

Overall, I'm still looking forward to playing a new entry in the series and I hope that it turns out well. I don't want it to fail. I want it to do well enough to hopefully convince Sega to revive their other franchises and hopefully make some decent games again.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    I don't want it to fail.
    I don't think you need to worry about that.

SOR4 is placed in the rather empty 2D beat'em up genre. There aren't other major companies releasing similar games at this moment AFAIK so unless it's a completely broken mess (which doesn't seem to be the case) it will do fairly well; especially among the Switch audience which seem very receptive to both 2D games and whatever retro reference you can throw at them.

The one platform where it will probably get a bit more criticism is Steam (IF it doesn't end up landing on Epic with exclusivity) where you have a handful of decent alternatives (some by indie companies) and a more vocal community about gameplay depth, replay value, etc.

A lot of (probably most of) people who will buy SOR4 have never played the likes of SOR2, Final Fight, Captain Commando, etc. And given the lack of recent output in the genre, especially on consoles, I'd be surprised to see any noticeable amount of criticism outside the very small circle of Sega-16 and a half dozen of weirdos living under a rock somewhere.
    The target audience is far more casual than we'd like to believe but DotEmu is no stranger to that.

Pang Adventures by DotEmu has moderately positive reviews everywhere while hardcore fans/players of Pang/Buster Bros. absolutely hate it.

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar occurs with SOR4.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

There is the new Battletoads and River City Girls just came out. The Takeover is on the way. Raging Justice came out and got a limited run. I know of another on the way but I won't plug a friends thing, besides it's a tad different. There is a few more on the system as well on Eshop.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

There was also a new double dragon tribute game a while back ago.

Hero of Algol

Closest contender on paper would be Battletoads (old franchise at least) but uh:

Not a real threat, let's say.

The TakeOver looks promising (have had it on my Steam wishlist for a while) but still rather niche.

Raging Justice is mediocre at best and absurd at the same time. Also very little push behind it.

River City Girls is a big one and probably good (given the people behind it), don't know how many people would try to draw a comparison between it and SOR4 though.

River City Girls is gonna be an interesting one. It has not much in common with the classic technos kunio-kun games, other than the title. And it remains to be seen how many game breaking bugs WayFoward will be able to squeeze in there. Not much of a choice ragarding new beat em ups in 2019. You gotta play this crap anyway if you want your fix.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Back in the day, I didn’t play Streets of Rage 2 at the arcades, I didn’t even get to play it on the Mega Drive, no, I played it on the Game Gear. Alongside other reworked Sega home console classics like Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi, a Japanese import of Ganbare Gorby! and more, this kept me and my brothers sat on the upstairs landing right next to a power socket – no way were we going to be rinsing through half a dozen AA batteries at a time without a good reason!

My memories of Streets of Rage might be a little more atypical, but Streets of Rage 4 looks and feels like a modernisation of my memories in all the right ways.

Visually, Streets of Rage 4 is a delight. With Lizardcube having last worked on the Wonder Boy remake, overhauling the cult classic platforming adventure with gorgeously modern hand drawn artwork, they’ve understandably taken a similar approach for Streets of Rage 4, which is being developed alongside Guard Crush Games and Dotemu. You could argue that the Mega Drive originals had a kind of gritty realism about them, but that’s been traded in for a much slicker hand animated style that’s simply gorgeous.

It still feels just like Streets of Rage thanks to the iconic silhouettes of some of the enemy goons that wander onto screen to come and attack you and their easily identified movements. The knife guy who just takes a diagonal path across the screen with blade sticking out from him, the fat dude who’s going to breathe fire at you, the plethora of plumbing that can litter the floor after you’ve landed a few blows on a crowd of enemies, it all just feels right to me.

The same can be said of the combat, the simple strings of attacks, getting yourself onto the right plane to hit an enemy, the grappling throws and so on. However, the team of developers haven’t been afraid to make some meaningful additions to the formula along the way.

A returning aspect is that Special attacks come at the cost of sapping some of your health from you, but now you can recoup it by landing regular hits. It’s a similar concept to how Bloodborne keeps you on the front foot in combat, but as a result of your attack choices instead of your failings. You can also use the Special attack in the air as well, for the first time, and then there’s screen-clearing Star moves that you have to earn from pick ups in the level.

Joining the returning Blaze Fielding and beardily rugged Axel Stone, Cherry Hunter (the daughter of Adam Hunter from the original game) was revealed at Gamescom, with a fourth playable character still being teased in the game’s artwork. Her design is noticeably more lithe and nimble than Axel and Blaze, but her most distinctive feature is the electric guitar strapped to her back.

As you’d expect, it gets pulled out in the brawl for her various attacks, whether it’s battering someone round the head with it, sliding along the ground like a veritable Marty McFly, or unleashing a power chord that clears out nearby enemies. She kicks just as much butt as the others.

Though I only briefly fought through a couple of levels with a co-op buddy at Gamescom, getting to battle two level-ending bosses that I can only describe as an “electric snake lady” and a “robot dude”, I had an absolute blast and can’t wait to see what the full game has in store.
    https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/08...of-the-future/

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

I see the powered moves like axel's grand upper, still is just 3 long frames for some reason, looks like crap.
    I would only get this if it were 5 bucks.
    Also Cherry Hunter is conry af, everyone loses their weapons after a couple hits with it but she'll someone be able to have her guitar the whole game?

Also hate the graphics, if this was for Comix Zone 2 it would fit, but not streets of rage.

Thread Information