Quantcast

Thread: A Winner Is You 2020 Edition!

Default A Winner Is You 2020 Edition!

New year? NEW THREAD!

I haven't beaten anything yet, but I'm working on it.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

So far, I've completed:

- Phantasy Star IV
    - Shining in the Darkness
    - Gauntlet IV (Quest Mode)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

^ What is your secret?

1. Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis

I figured I'd make this the Sonic year and beat a bunch of Sonic games since the movie is coming out. I thought it was a good excuse. Starting at the beginning seemed logical to me, but I'm going to play a more recently developed game next. I've never actually completed a post-Genesis era Sonic game.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Silver Surfer (NES):

Bought this game as a late Christmas present to myself. I had no prior experience with it, but it looked fun. I played it off and on all weekend and last night I beat it.

The last stage sucked away all my continues, but I still managed to squeak out a victory.

Also, I think I love this game.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Thumbs up

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore.

Still remains my fave Persona game that's not named Persona. Yeah, idol shit is not for me. It's still a fun Persona lite. Social links are streamlined and no calendar system. Good OST, weaker in some parts but some of the battle themes are great and sound Persona ish. Tho the composer of this game has never done a score for games before or since. Wii U version which I did enjoy in 2016, I can never go back to. Load times were awful on Wii U and almost non-existent on Switch. This is a world of difference since you enter battle a lot in this game. This always had one of the better turn-based battle systems in an RPG but one thing that dragged it down is the sessions. Not the mechanic as that is what helps make it great. Just the animation of each character can take a while esp in big sessions. Switch version lets you skip them.

Aside from our typical Japanese bland MC. The cast is strong. Aside from Futaba I prefer this cast over Persona 5. The pacing is better as well. While this game has plenty of style. It's nowhere near as slick as Persona 5. New costumes like P5 Joker outfit is great. New side dungeon. DLC is included on the cart. Now, this is a very weeb game. If those tropes bother you. This game will piss you off. The dungeons are well done. They feel like an evolution of the Persona 3/4 dungeons but instead of randomly generated they are fixed. They each add their own unique puzzle element to them. Side quests could be a bit more varied. Seems they are all just more of the same 5-6 types. I do like all the small and big nods to both the Mega Ten series and Fire Emblem. From items to store clerks. There was some Nintendo style localization. Female characters aged up to 18. Swimsuits removed and in a side quest, they poorly edited a wedding dress to be all white even where her obvious cleavage and arms are. None of this really impacts the game more than an aesthetic level but it does look silly. Thankfully optional.

Still only 720P and not sure why. More demanding Wii U ports got the bump to 1080P. This game doesn't have the budget, as slick of a presentation of Persona 5 but it is more fun to play IMO. Persona 5 while I did greatly enjoy it overall. Went way too long and as a result, became a chore at times. Never does TMS feel like a chore to me. Addicting more like it. As of this post. This and Cybersleuth are probably the best Persona fix like games on the system. But it's more of sample tasting and still not a full-on Persona clone.

What it does do in relation to Persona.

High schoolers.
    Mirages act as the Persona
    You must save a troubled person within their own themed dungeon.
    Social links.
    Fun music.
    Style with a color theme in the game.
    Tiki/Bloom Palace may as well be the Velvet Room.
    SMT/Persona costumes.

I'm sure it's obvious by now. I really do enjoy Persona and SMT and similar games.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Finally beat Road Rash III. Level 5 in that game is pure insanity. The races are all about 16-17 miles long, and there is so much crap trying to kill you it's ridiculous. But I finally managed it. I had the most trouble with the UK race in the final level, probably took me 10 tries before I was able to win it. And while I saved Japan for last, I ended breezing through it and finishing it on the first try. Go figure. The game appears to just loop the 5th level after you beat it. I thought maybe I had to beat them all again to get the ending, but it turns out there isn't one, so that's disappointing. Anyway, awesome game. I might like 2 just a little better, but 3 is great. I like that there are more weapons, you can carry multiple, and they carry over from race to race, or even if you wreck your bike or get arrested. Sadly, the password system doesn't carry over weapons though. That's the price you pay. Hahahaha

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Silver Surfer (NES):

Bought this game as a late Christmas present to myself. I had no prior experience with it, but it looked fun. I played it off and on all weekend and last night I beat it.

The last stage sucked away all my continues, but I still managed to squeak out a victory.

Also, I think I love this game.
    Man, I have never beaten Silver Surfer. That game is effing hard. Do you have any tips?

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Man, I have never beaten Silver Surfer. That game is effing hard. Do you have any tips?
    I do, as a matter of fact (Iím working on few videos about this game and a handful of others)

Start with either Reptyl or Emperor, as those stages will give you all the power-ups you need in the first section, and they donít start with swarms of swirling enemies like Mephisto or Possessorís stages. The game is super, super scripted and consistent, outside of a few enemies (the pumpkins in Fire Lordís stage and the hands that pop out of the walls in Mephistoís stage), so you should be able to pretty quickly get to a point where you can anticipate when and where the enemies will appear on screen. The enemies behave so predictably, in fact, that I donít think a Ďpacifist runí is completely impossible.

Also:

Ninja Gaiden (NES):

Iíve been playing this game for years, but never beaten it. So I put the olí nose to the grindstone last week and started chipping away at it. This game is quite possibly the hardest and most frustrating game Iíve ever beaten. Actually, let me rephrase: BEATING it isnít really that hard; anyone can do it if you donít mind spending your entire day hacking away at it with the infinite continues. But I found that the toughest enemy in the game is your own frustration level. How many times are you willing to play through that 6th stage just to have another attempt at the final boss?

Iím now at a point where I can sit down with the game and beat it every time. But I still canít beat all three of the final bosses in one go. Jacquio kills me every time, and I have to make a second trip through the entire stage all over again and one-shot him with the spin slash... which feels kinda like cheating.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

25 years after the hype, I finally sat down and played Myst. I could never see the appeal of the game when it was first released. It always looked to me like it would be a tedious slog through a world full of pretentious, abstruse, dream-logic puzzles.

In actually, it's nothing at all like that. Myst is entirely straight-forward, nearly devoid of pretension, and I'm not even sure I'd classify it as a puzzle game because I can only recall two tasks in the entire game that required any real intuition. The solution to every other task was either given outright or proceeded from such pure logic (mechanical, spatial, etc.) that the way forward was obvious. I thought it would take me several days to complete the game, but it only took a few hours. I did get stuck in a few spots, however. Once when I failed to recognize that a path existed to a certain location, another time when I failed to distinguish a switch as being something separate from background debris, and in the most perplexing instance, when I was unable to find something I didn't even know I should be looking for.

Myst felt much closer to an old Infocom text adventure than it did to a typical point-and-click graphical adventure, which was a pleasant surprise for an old Infocom junkie like myself. Anyway, I enjoyed Myst much more than I expected too. I rate the game a solid 3/5. I've already gone ahead and picked up copies of its two immediate sequels.

Thread Information