Quantcast

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar

https://gamebanana.com/games/8173

Some rudimentary skins are already showing up. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post

These french fucks shoulda stuck to Wonderboy, fuck off with your shitty redesigns and cliche anime tropes.

Original Shiva made you feel like you just encountered a fucking demon and you were in for a real fight, new Shiva is.. lol that's someone you beat up because he's revolting.
    and that's how I feel about the entire game, this isn't Streets of Rage. this is Streets of I'm 12 years old and suspenders and shades are cooooooool man, also what if his Donovan's pants were hanging off his ass? thats kewl man!"

It's a 12 year old power fantasy.
    I always thought I was fighting against Topper:

Road Rasher

Having seen quite a bit a play, there are some things that irk me

vertical attack range is VERY small, unless enemy is near perfectly lined attack will not hit.
    base chain attack range is... strange ? I get the feeling that following attacks have less range than initial hits, leading to be hit out of combos
    Breakable weapons, but without special attacks ? Kind of a bummer.
    But the biggest one has to be enemies unthrowable when in armor state. It feels very unlogical.

You guys are way too salty. This game looks great. The retro characters look a little out of place, but the fact that you can even listen to the original soundtracks, and that the gameplay is great, new soundtrack is solid, and it is still in the spirit of the original game should be enough. I agree, I would have liked to have seen something more in the vein of Streets of Rage Remake but Sonic Mania style. But this is not bad. At least SEGA is listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Yeah I like SR4 got it day of release been playing a lot of it have and so far have 17hs. invested and unlocked 59% of the achievements but is it wrong to be using the Retro CRT filter because that is the only way I have been playing it from the start as to get rid of that cell shading comic book look.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You guys are way too salty. This game looks great. The retro characters look a little out of place, but the fact that you can even listen to the original soundtracks, and that the gameplay is great, new soundtrack is solid, and it is still in the spirit of the original game should be enough. I agree, I would have liked to have seen something more in the vein of Streets of Rage Remake but Sonic Mania style. But this is not bad. At least SEGA is listening.
    Repped for telling it like it is....
    05/05/15

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

I enjoy the game for what it is. There are so many other series that had lackluster sequels and/or terrible transitions to 3D that basically destroyed them.
    A few examples: Golden Axe, Contra, Altered Beast, Final Fight, Shinobi.

From what I've seen of all of the canceled Streets of Rage games over the years (Saturn/Dreamcast/PC, etc) they all look notably worse by leaps and bounds (in terms of gfx & gameplay) than this game.

IS SOR4 perfect? No. There is some give and take when put side-to-side with the prequels. That said, for such an old IP to get resurrected out of the ashes, at least it's obvious that this team cared enough about the property where notable effort was put into it.

I had my reservations, but overall, I'm pleased with it and it's fun to play with people.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    From what I've seen of all of the canceled Streets of Rage games over the years (Saturn/Dreamcast/PC, etc) they all look notably worse by leaps and bounds (in terms of gfx & gameplay) than this game.
    Fighting Force could've made a decent SOR4 if Sega gave them the license. The DC tech demos were junk, but then they were too early to tell. There was another company who did a full 3d SOR4 teaser in Unreal Engine (?), which looked interesting but nothing came out of it.

What could be interesting to see is the concept Ayano Koshiro mentioned in that interview, make a SOR game that takes internet multiplayer as a central feature, the players could form literal gangs, going down the street and crashing with each other in gang wars. You probably couldn't have the classic players, Axel, Blaze, etc in that setting, but it might be an interesting experience. Of course the lag would probably ruin it a great deal, SOR4 tends to lag badly even with 2 players, let alone enough to form a virtual gang.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Fighting Force - owned it back in the day and enjoyed it, but tried it recently and found it a really hard pill to swallow.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Fighting Force was garbage back then.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Slot me in as another person who's pretty happy with how SoR 4 turned out. I think it's really good. Is it perfect? no. Yes, there are some things I'd change, but I'm happy with the game I got.

Honestly, my biggest gripe isn't even SoR 4's fault. Right before I played through SoR4, I'd played through the entirety of both Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition and Guacamelee 2 complete, both with the best ending. I desperately wanted a dodge roll, but alas. Not really SoR4's fault on that one, though.

I looked up not long ago Fighting Force on PS1 and… uh, what's with all the loading times? Like there's a loading screen after every encounter or so. I don't recall the prototype suffering from that despite having the entire first section there. Also today I was watching a Dynamite Deka playthrough on Saturn… well, tried. It has the same loading every encounter or so issue and gave up quickly. Arcade version doesn't suffer from that.

I dunno, I think there's a reason why 3D beat'em-ups didn't take off despite the core concept being sound…

Master of Shinobi

I tried playing Fighting Force again recently, but it's just so boring. IIRC I didn't like it back in the day either.

Master of Shinobi

Fighting Force was the tits back in the day. Maybe a bit too slow paced compared to SOR2/3, but that's cause it was free roaming 3d. You could tear out stuff from the landscape to use as weapons, or just a car with an RPG. Multiplayer was a lot of fun, I think we got up to the elevator before the boss back in the day. The faults I remember from back then was that the levels only zoomed out so far, so 2 players couldn't get too far away from each other. And specials had no invincibility and drained life at the startup - I kept doing the bruisers special when cornered and got hit out of it, but lost all my life due to the health penalty. And the most efficient move was to just run around and use one of the two different run moves to knock people down, until you only had one or two punks on screen, then it was safer to duke it out hand to hand.
    And the second game sucked.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

FF was a piece of shit then and more of a piece of shit now. The SOR4 we got is worthy of the name.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information