Quantcast

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SOR IV doesn't even look like a SOR game
    And Streets of Rage II didn't look like Streets of Rage. The art style of the original games was born out of necessity, and new games don't have to be wedded to that style.

Unlike Sonic Mania, scrolling beat 'em ups don't typically have the luxury of expansive level designs, and as such would be far more likely to fall into the category of lazy looking rehash if they just used graphics akin to the originals.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Axel has gained some weight while waiting for Paprium...

Wildside Expert

no wonder why if Yuzo don't want to be involved in

BANG Wildside Expert Gadispalembang's Avatar

SOR4 looks like the typical post-2011 indie game. Forgettable and everyone will go back to SOR2/3 in a few months after it releases.

Master of Shinobi

I've seen a few other projects of the lead animator working on this game (Balak), so I'm not worrying about how the game will look. I really dig the new design for Axel and Blaze too.

Even if they used pixel art, it would be close to impossible to look like the old games since those were tailored specifically for things like the Megadrive palette and sprite size limits. If they'd use pixel art, they'd fall into the mistake of using arbitrary sized and positioned graphics, which don't look like the old game despite being pixel art. Plus the old games had wildly different styles too, SOR2 was more colourful anime like and SOR3 tried having more realistic looks. I don't mind the change to full HD graphics instead, since getting the looks of the original games would be difficult.

If anything, I'm happy that it looks like the game will be a 2d brawler, that looks like the original games but with new graphics. They could've done something like making it polygonal or so, and that would've been way worse.

About the only thing I dislike in the looks so far is the look on the Galsias face. And that's just nitpicking, since in-game you get to smash it in anyhow. And maybe the Raptor enemies are too short, they used to be one of the tallest enemies in SOR2. But this is a reveal trailer, probably not even real gameplay, things can still change around.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Blaster Master Zero's sprites are the same resolution and dimensions (barring the bigger enemies, and Jason's rifle and such) as the NES game. Everything is made of 8x8 pixel tiles, and 2x2 tile blocks. Good pixel art takes a lot of talent. It is an abstraction layer even further beyond traditional drawing.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

I don't really care if the game is pixel art or HD, in fact I rather it be HD, pixel art is overused these days.
    Some games are full of crazy modern effects on top of pixel art which looks really disjointed.

But this game's graphics are very poor at the moment, even the perspective looks supper wrong on some parts of that video. Needs a lot of work.

I know it's asking for too much, but high budget "2D" games can look super good:

This is what I'd like from a modern 2D game, not pixel art.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post

Axel has gained some weight while waiting for Paprium...
    His arm is also as long as he is tall
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    In animation it is perfectly normal to have some exagerated frames in order to give an impactful overall impression.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    pixel art is overused these days.
    I get so tired of going on the Switch e-shop or Steam and seeing all these titles that looked like they stepped straight off a Neo-Geo or CPS3 board. Everything is so bland and cookie cutter it I just can't tell them apart from Treasure and Konami games from 30 years ago. The circa 2005 flash game look, now that's fresh.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I thought I recognised the screen cap its mine off twitter!!!

Attachment 14370

As tokay said, it's common to exaggerate motions in animation to increase impact. And in this case it's also probably tied to game balance (would rather stretch the arm a bit more than risk the attack range being too short and receiving too many cheap hits as a result).

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinkiller24 View Post
    no wonder why if Yuzo don't want to be involved in
    All Streets of Rage were developed by Ancient (Yuzo's company: Koshiro = Ancient). If Sega handed this off to a western studio there's no surprise they don't get involved. That said, it's by far the most famous work of Yuzo (SoR1, SoR2) and if there's public outcry I wouldn't doubt he'd pitch in a track or two just to please the fans. But in my opinion this should have been also done by Ancient. You guys saw the video about it many pages ago, the level of care and planning that was put into it. I'd have wanted the same guys to make SoR4.

I'd only trust either Yuzo or GrooveMaser303 for music. At least Paprium got GM303, but God knows if the soundtrack will be on it's full glory or not.

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    All Streets of Rage were developed by Ancient (Yuzo's company: Koshiro = Ancient). If Sega handed this off to a western studio there's no surprise they don't get involved. That said, it's by far the most famous work of Yuzo (SoR1, SoR2) and if there's public outcry I wouldn't doubt he'd pitch in a track or two just to please the fans. But in my opinion this should have been also done by Ancient. You guys saw the video about it many pages ago, the level of care and planning that was put into it. I'd have wanted the same guys to make SoR4.

I'd only trust either Yuzo or GrooveMaser303 for music. At least Paprium got GM303, but God knows if the soundtrack will be on it's full glory or not.
    Koshiro family ANCIENT still exist now ?

It might sound a bit "cliché" but as bare knuckle games weren't popular at all in Japan, being such a success for "overseas", I guess SEGA decided to let a foreign company deal with this game who is destined to the USA and Europe market, and so let them deal with the art style and all stuff... they even might think such a style like this one is powerful for this market. Sadly.

Let's hope the guy who disappeared in the chinese moutains will one day (soon) come down and save the world of beat em up.

Thread Information