Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fx Unit Yuki is being ported to the Genesis and the Devs are taking your questions

Default Fx Unit Yuki is being ported to the Genesis and the Devs are taking your questions

Hi everyone,

Fx Unit Yuki is a new game for the Turbografx 16 / PC Engine which was launched physically a few months ago. Now, the developers are about to launch a Sega Genesis / Mega Drive port and they're taking in any user questions.

Just thought you might be interested in leaning more about a modern release for two supposedly dead consoles!

Last edited by stika; 08-30-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The Genesis Mega Drive version is a very faithful straight port. So all of the imperfections in the PC Engine version remain. There is a hit to color though, but I've only see the intro stage.

The Dreamcast version will be a port of the Genesis version, except that the cinematic stills will be Dreamcast quality and I assume it will use the redbook soundtrack. So the Dreamcast version will pretty much be what playing a Sega-CD port would be like. Unfortunately that means pretty much the same as the original PCE version, with a hit to the in-game visuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Wait, why can't the Dreamcast version use the same colors as the PCE version at least? (i.e. without taking the color hit)

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Wait, why can't the Dreamcast version use the same colors as the PCE version at least? (i.e. without taking the color hit)
    Either Joshprod or their developer decided either that they didn't want to wait for the PC version to be completed first or that it was easier/faster for the team to work off of the Genesis version.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Genesis version's chiptunes and seeing how some of the background palettes are handled. All of the stages I did all of the backgrounds for pushed 90 - 100+ colors and the last two stages each have a background that used 16 tile palettes. I'm guessing that the cityscape portions of those will use a single palette, which could still look nice and retain most of the detail.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Will the Dreamcast version support 240p as well as 480p VGA? Both would be helpful. Screw 480i, that should not be an option as that resolution is evil and admired by exactly zero people in this world.

The Dreamcast version of Pier Solar kinda sucked and it had huge artifacts in the scrolling.

Nameless One

With the Mega Drive being a "straight port" does that mean that it won't take advantage of the MD's hardware like paralax scrolling and extra sprites? Sorry if this seems obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    With the Mega Drive being a "straight port" does that mean that it won't take advantage of the MD's hardware like paralax scrolling and extra sprites? Sorry if this seems obvious.
    It sounds like it based on the description of the programmer of the original. The screen shot he posted has the parallax lined up identical. There aren't really extra sprite limitations, as the bottlenecks are similar. So if the sprites are built the same way the flicker will be the same. Using an extra tile layer is the biggest sprite advantage by far and it sounds like dynamic tiles were still used in the same spots. I also forgot that some color cycling effects were also cut.

From what has been said, it looks like it's going to be a port like the 90's,
    not taking advantage of the hardware, cutting everything without adding anything ..
    even cutting even pallet cycling effects? (bad joke)

unfortunately a game that only had attention and affection in the PCE, in the other platforms is only hunting nickel.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Nice vid!!!

Is the Genesis version???

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It sounds like it based on the description of the programmer of the original. The screen shot he posted has the parallax lined up identical. There aren't really extra sprite limitations, as the bottlenecks are similar. So if the sprites are built the same way the flicker will be the same. Using an extra tile layer is the biggest sprite advantage by far and it sounds like dynamic tiles were still used in the same spots. I also forgot that some color cycling effects were also cut.
    WTF? When I heard "straight port" I had assumed that there wouldn't be extra parallax layers, not that effects would be implemented literally the same way. Which actually now makes me wonder if the second plane is actually ever used.

And this makes the whole thing about the Dreamcast version being a port of a downgraded version even worse.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    not taking advantage of the hardware, cutting everything without adding anything ..
    Sounds like the Mega Drive port will be lazy stuff probably in an attempt to downplay the system and overrate the PC Engine...

The Mega Drive hardware is more powerful than the PC Engine in most ways, games like Streets of Rage 2, Alien Soldier or Batman & Robin are more likely impossible on PC Engine so a rather "simple" game like Fx Unit Yuki should be better on Mega Drive than PC Engine if the developer want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    Sounds like the Mega Drive port will be lazy stuff probably in an attempt to downplay the system and overrate the PC Engine...

The Mega Drive hardware is more powerful than the PC Engine in most ways, games like Streets of Rage 2, Alien Soldier or Batman & Robin are more likely impossible on PC Engine so a rather "simple" game like Fx Unit Yuki should be better on Mega Drive than PC Engine if the developer want to...
    Why would a company that only publishes Sega console games try to make the PC Engine look better?

You should just create your own console war/propaganda thread and do all of your posting there and in youtube comments.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Why would a company that only publishes Sega console games try to make the PC Engine look better?

You should just create your own console war/propaganda thread and do all of your posting there and in youtube comments.
    I base my comment on what I've read here as well as on youtube and as you can see I'm not the only one to feel this way.

btw it's well-known that PC Engine fanboys are salty towards the Mega Drive. There are pathetic internet pages made by such fanboys in an attempt to downplay the Mega Drive (and the guy there got schooled rightfully so by various comments at the bottom of the page)... there's the same handful of people over there at youtube who always post laughable crap against the Mega Drive... there are youtube comments which suddenly disappear just because they were legitimately pointing out issues with the PC Engine or with PC Engine games... and even myself, I got one of my posts mysteriously deleted HERE, AT SEGA-16, just because I implied that the Mega Drive is a league above the PC Engine (and I still need to clarify this, gonna post a thread or contact some moderators)...

So if Fx Unit Yuki is made and/or backed by fanboys, maybe that this, explains that...

And notice that I talk about fanboys here, not fans. I personally like the PC Engine for what it is and I know myself some PC Engine fans and only with such people I can have genuinely nice and passionate discussions about it. But the fanboys, lol, they only make a fool out of themselves with such attitude and they don't do the PC Engine any favor, on the contrary I would say.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

If so, I do not want a Dynamite Duke in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post

unfortunately a game that only had attention and affection in the PCE, in the other platforms is only hunting nickel.

Complaining about PCE fanboys is stupid when this place is full of Sega fanboys who behave exactly the same way.

Thread Information