Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Translating Saturn Grandia

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm not that impressed with the Japanese acting either. They are way over the top, yet some people seem to take that as good. It's obnoxious to me.
    The Japanese voice acting is still better than the English dub. The English dub actors can't even maintain tone in the same sentence:

https://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip2.mp3

Or in other spots coming off completely deadpan like they're just reading a script into a microphone:
    https://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip8.mp3
    https://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip9.mp3

Wildside Expert

Ripped, patched and loaded onto my Mode. Will be spending some time on this later.
    Thank you for making this possible

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The Japanese voice acting is still better than the English dub. The English dub actors can't even maintain tone in the same sentence:

https://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip2.mp3

Or in other spots coming off completely deadpan like they're just reading a script into a microphone:
    https://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip8.mp3
    https://www.audioatrocities.com/games/grandia/clip9.mp3
    The 1st one is almost acceptable, except his 1st sentence took a wrong tone.The other 2 are pretty bad though. Iíve always noticed that the lesser characters sound like they just read it and were done. The main characters always seem to have better delivery, which probably went through several reads until they got it right.

The voice acting for Justin and his crew was alright for me. I started playing your translated version (nice work!) and I really didnít hear anything from the acting that would give me the impression that it that good, especially Justinís mom yelling gibberish, before conking him on the head with a pan. Adding gruff noises to their voices gives the reading a better feeling than mono-tone English reading, but it just sounds like they are over-acting.

So, I checked out a video from Saturn Dave. He was showing off a completed North American case and manual set, with a really cool map. Were there a lot of them made, and are they still available?
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-25-2021 at 02:15 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The 1st one is almost acceptable, except his 1st sentence took a wrong tone.The other 2 are pretty bad though. Iíve always noticed that the lesser characters sound like they just read it and were done. The main characters always seem to have better delivery, which probably went through several reads until they got it right.

The voice acting for Justin and his crew was alright for me. I started playing your translated version (nice work!) and I really didnít hear anything from the acting that would give me the impression that it that good, especially Justinís mom yelling gibberish, before conking on the head with a pan. Adding gruff noises to their voices gives the reading a better feeling than mono-tone English reading, but it just sounds like they are over-acting.

So, I checked out a video from Saturn Dave. He was showing off a completed North American case and manual set, with a really cool map. Were their a lot of them made, and are they still available?
    He hasn't started selling them yet. He's holding off until it's at version 1.0.

Version 0.9.2-RC is out. This changes the patch over to use the new SegaSaturnPatcher utility which should make patching easier.
    https://segaxtreme.net/resources/gra...lish-patch.67/

Changes include the following:
    • Fixed scripting errors on the Steamer Ship.
    • Fixed various minor pointer issues in menus.
    • Fixed minor alignment issues in some menus.
    • Repurposed Save File Comment to now be the first 10 characters of where you saved.
    • Replaced Japanese "This is a Sega Saturn Disc" CD Audio Track with an English equivalent from Burning Rangers.
    • Updated to Sega Saturn Patcher format.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 02-06-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Version 0.9.2-RC is out. This changes the patch over to use the new SegaSaturnPatcher utility which should make patching easier.
    https://segaxtreme.net/resources/gra...lish-patch.67/

Changes include the following:
    • Fixed scripting errors on the Steamer Ship.
    • Fixed various minor pointer issues in menus.
    • Fixed minor alignment issues in some menus.
    • Repurposed Save File Comment to now be the first 10 characters of where you saved.
    • Replaced Japanese "This is a Sega Saturn Disc" CD Audio Track with an English equivalent from Burning Rangers.
    • Updated to Sega Saturn Patcher format.
    Haven't had any success in getting this to work for me yet. The previous patches worked no problem for me making images of my actual Grandia discs. But using those same images produces a strange "Cannot be Null" error when trying to apply this latest patch to them using SSP 1.1. Also might make mention that is seems to require .Net to be installed as I didn't have that yet on my PC. Wondering if that is part of the issue since .Net now installs .Net 5.0 on windows 10 machines?

I also tried to make new images using my actual Grandia discs through SSP with the patch listed, but that just results in my Saturn showing the Sega copyright screen and then a black screen of nothing from there. I've tried all the image variants without luck so not really sure where else to go. Again, your older patches using the Delta patches worked for me in the past without issue.

*UPDATE* So literally after trying for several hours yesterday it figures I make a post about my troubles and then figure out a way that works all of a sudden.

What I had to do and hadn't done yet, was I had to take the original Bin/CUE image I created and use ISO buster to extract the contents of the session out like the old patch instructions required. Doing this and then selecting the new .Cue file from the Session extraction then worked to applied the patch. The only new image format I chose was iso+Cue+Tracks. But that only results in a .cue and two .iso of track 1 and track 2. But it seems to be working. Although the movie cutscenes are now showing a faint flickering line above the movies on the upper 1/3 right hand side. It might have always been there was maybe I wasn't able to see it before? Not sure but it does seem to work.

So might want to add back in the requirement to use ISOBuster to break out the session contents still as I was previously trying this just using the initial bin/cue that imgburn created and that was giving me the Must not be Null error I spoke of when trying to apply the patch.
    Last edited by CrossBow; 02-07-2021 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Updated info to provide

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Haven't had any success in getting this to work for me yet. The previous patches worked no problem for me making images of my actual Grandia discs. But using those same images produces a strange "Cannot be Null" error when trying to apply this latest patch to them using SSP 1.1. Also might make mention that is seems to require .Net to be installed as I didn't have that yet on my PC. Wondering if that is part of the issue since .Net now installs .Net 5.0 on windows 10 machines?

I also tried to make new images using my actual Grandia discs through SSP with the patch listed, but that just results in my Saturn showing the Sega copyright screen and then a black screen of nothing from there. I've tried all the image variants without luck so not really sure where else to go. Again, your older patches using the Delta patches worked for me in the past without issue.

*UPDATE* So literally after trying for several hours yesterday it figures I make a post about my troubles and then figure out a way that works all of a sudden.

What I had to do and hadn't done yet, was I had to take the original Bin/CUE image I created and use ISO buster to extract the contents of the session out like the old patch instructions required. Doing this and then selecting the new .Cue file from the Session extraction then worked to applied the patch. The only new image format I chose was iso+Cue+Tracks. But that only results in a .cue and two .iso of track 1 and track 2. But it seems to be working. Although the movie cutscenes are now showing a faint flickering line above the movies on the upper 1/3 right hand side. It might have always been there was maybe I wasn't able to see it before? Not sure but it does seem to work.

So might want to add back in the requirement to use ISOBuster to break out the session contents still as I was previously trying this just using the initial bin/cue that imgburn created and that was giving me the Must not be Null error I spoke of when trying to apply the patch.
    You shouldn't have to use ISOBuster at all. I tested it with my personal discs, my personal rips of the discs, and rips from redump. All of them worked. What doesn't work is just trying to patch an ISO directly without a proper cue sheet and it's other tracks. The ISO track is just 1 track out of many on the disc. What we did before was patch the data track correctly and then use a cue sheet and a separate wave file to represent the other tracks. This new patching program rebuilds the entire disc image correctly and therefore needs to know what all the other tracks are, so if you only provide it 1 of those tracks it wont work.

As for the faint line, that's always there even in the Japanese version.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 02-07-2021 at 12:41 PM.

You shouldn't have to use ISOBuster at all. I tested it with my personal discs, my personal rips of the discs, and rips from redump. All of them worked. What doesn't work is just trying to patch an ISO directly without a proper cue sheet and it's other tracks. The ISO track is just 1 track out of many on the disc. What we did before was patch the data track correctly and then use a cue sheet and a separate wave file to represent the other tracks. This new patching program rebuilds the entire disc image correctly and therefore needs to know what all the other tracks are, so if you only provide it 1 of those tracks it wont work.

As for the faint line, that's always there even in the Japanese version.
    I was selecting the cue sheet when choosing CD Image and it was showing the game etc as expected. But when applying the patch file and then choosing an image to save it as, that is when it was giving me the error. I will try it again real quick with the images I made from my actual discs and see if I can attach the error or something.

Well of course it isn't failing now... sigh.

Only thing I can think of is that I hadn't actually rebooted my PC after .net etc. was installed. Then again, if I'm not advised to, I don't normally. But that is the only thing different from yesterday vs today is that my PC was obviously rebooted since I shut mine down each night. I will say one thing about SSP that I like and that is the fact that some of the games I wasn't able to get working images of to work on my RHEA do work using this utility! My actual disc of Fantastic Pinball, I've never been able to get an image created from it that would work with audio or work at all through my RHEA. Using this utility to just create a disc image from the originals does work.
    Last edited by CrossBow; 02-07-2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Updating info

Thread Information