Quantcast

View Poll Results: Do you leave the RF shield on when you add mods?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for Genesis 1

1 7.14%
  • No for Genesis 1

0 0%
  • Yes for Genesis 2

0 0%
  • No for Genesis 2

0 0%
  • Yes for all Genesis Models

12 85.71%
  • No for all Genesis Models

1 7.14%
  • Yes for all Genesis Models except the Model 3

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you leave the RF shield on for your modded Sega Genesis?

Default Do you leave the RF shield on for your modded Sega Genesis?

I have a question about everyone that mods Genesis consoles. Do most of you guys leave the RF shield on or do you just toss it? Because I've desperately tried to keep the RF shield intact as much as possible but I find that it's really starting to get in the way of mods that I keep on adding and want to add on in the future. I keep cutting away some parts to of the RF shield just to make it possible for certain mods to fit. I just added a region switch and I had no choice but to cut off a corner of the RF shield. When I finally get around to adding an overclock mod, I feel that may be the last straw for me and the RF shield, unless the toggle switch has enough clearance in the back between the RF shield and the back of the console's top shell.

So do most of you try to leave the RF shield on for "professionalism" or do you just toss it? I know the NES Front Loader losses one half of its RF shield with the Hi-Def NES mod and the Top Loader losses its top RF shield for the NESRGB mod. Do RF shields even do anything nowadays? Aren't they sometimes part of cooling the console? I have noticed they can be real helpful as an alternative grounding that doesn't require soldering to a some kind of grounding pin.

-----------------------

Edit: Well nevermind, I just saw an old Mega Drive video of where the modder cut the part of his RF shielding off where he needed space at. I should've just looked on youtube rather than make another useless topic. I'm so lonely...
    or rather, I spend too much f*cking time in forums
    Last edited by roadkill; 09-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Personally, I keep it. I think the shield isn't super important and just more of an FCC certification thing. Maybe it could help if you have a lot of other electronics close by? Either way, it was part of the console when I took it apart, so I always put it back in. They often manage to slice up my fingers in the process though.

When I finally get around to adding an overclock mod, I feel that may be the last straw for me and the RF shield, unless the toggle switch has enough clearance in the back between the RF shield and the back of the console's top shell.
    I've done the same thing before. Taken a little square out just to make room for something else.

Edit: Well nevermind, I just saw an old Mega Drive video of where the modder cut the part of his RF shielding off where he needed space at. I should've just looked on youtube rather than make another useless topic. I'm so lonely...
    or rather, I spend too much f*cking time in forums
    Eh... At least it's a Genesis related topic and not about the Earth being flat or something. Might spawn some interesting discussion about the usefulness of the RF shields.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Master of Shinobi

There are none in both Megadrives, right? Is this just an USA-centric regulation?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

I've only ever modded some model 1s, but the only time I've had the RF shielding in the way was when I installed the overclock switch in my personal console. I prefer to have the shielding in place, I figure that its there for a reason.

I've done quite a few Genesis mods over the past few years. Not just on mine but for others as well. And I always leave the RF shield in place as much as possible. I do cut out sections of it especially in the back right corner to make room for wires and such. But even then I've got ways of getting around that so I don't have to really cut that anymore either. Here is the thing...

RF shielding was originally installed on pretty much all electronics due to FCC regulations about devices not causing interference with other electronic devices. But... the reality is that today, I like to keep the RF shielding in place to prevent outside interference from affecting the console. We have more RF frequencies in use around us now than was ever thought possible 20 30 and 40 years ago. Cell phones and Wi-Fi being the largest sources of massive RF signals today in use. So I've found that keeping the RF shielding on actually helps with the console so that stray RF doesn't give me odd noise on the audio, or strange ghosting and interference on the video.

Now the strange thing is that yes... I have a JPN Megadrive and there is NO RF shielding to be found on it anywhere. Then again, they don't have RF modulators installed in them either. Still, to answer this question...YES. I keep the RF shielding in place on any console I work on if the shielding was present.

Master of Shinobi

I think european Megadrives don't have it either, though they all had RF except for French ones maybe
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    There are none in both Megadrives, right? Is this just an USA-centric regulation?
    I can't speak for the Genesis in particular, but yes. FCC regulations in the consumer space were notoriously strict back then. It's especially noticeable in home micro-computers from the era, where American designs typically come equipped with excessive amounts of shielding from the outset even when sold in markets which didn't strictly require it. Historical example: a large part of the cost-overrun in Acorn's attempt to sell the BBC Micro in the US, ultimately leading to that project's failure, was retro-fitting the existing British design to meet FCC standards.

Quote Originally Posted by nv0bdizc View Post
    I can't speak for the Genesis in particular
    The US Genesis has RF shielding on both the bottom and top of the PCB that cover over 90% of the entire board. Even the area where the power switch is located has a small ledge of RF shielding over it. Many game consoles of the era were like this...the NES front loader has shielding over all of it minus the RF/power section, the 7800 has shielding over most of it except for the front panel switch area in the front and heatsink VR section behind the cartridge port... 5200 is the same way. I'm trying to think of a console released in the US I've taken apart that really didn't have a ton of shielding and I'm thinking the DC might be the first I can recount lacking in that respect compared to most.

FCC basically states that any device must be able to accept interference from other devices, but that said device must be designed to NOT interfere with other devices.

I have to say I'm rather surprised that everyone has voted yes that they leave the RF shield on, but that's good. I've always thought that that was the way to do things. I remember seeing SwampFox's conglomerated amount of mods on his messy modded Genesis he was trying to sell over a month ago and he didn't even bother putting the RF shield back on (Drakon usually didn't either). I've always found that to be the cheap shortcut way of modding the console, unless it's absolutely necessary for it to be removed (e.g. Hi-Def NES mods, NESRGB Top Loader).

Well the reason I even asked this question was because I successfully did a Region Mod for the first time on one of my spare Genesis 1s but in order to fit it I had to cut the corner leg of the RF shield, not too much though. Now I'm thinking of recapping it because I tried adding a Region Mod to this Genesis Model 1 of mine but for some reason once I tried to mount the toggle switch, it would no longer work when switched to NTSC-J (it worked when I tested it before mounting it). It must've been shorting out or perhaps there wasn't a good connection with the board, it started to get a little bit of some kind of rust anyway.

So I'm going to recap the Genesis 1 that does have the working Region Mod, I'm just confused as to why it even needs a recap because it's in pretty good, clean shape. I just want to make sure, when there's real bad background buzzing noise during silence and it's not the power supply, does that mean that there's a certain cap or caps going bad?

Thanks.

All the PAL MD1 and MD2s I've seen have shields, I haven't actually opened up my JP MD1 yet to check that one.

I leave them in, routing any modding wires around, or dremelling bits away if necessary for ports etc.

I can confirm that at least a JPN MD va3 does NOT have any shielding of any king on it. And the case shells are designed with this in mind because the standoffs for the board are a tiny bit taller than US shells due to no need to worry about the shielding. Also, since JPN MD have that locking mech for the cartridges, the RF shielding would get in the way and prevent that mech from working or at least you would have to have a large hole in the top of the RF to accommodate the mech for the cartridge lock.

But now I'm understanding Roadkill's issue here. The difference is that I mounted my region switch along with my RCA jacks on the top half of the shell and not the bottom half. There is more room on the top half. But because I still want to be able to have the shells come completely separate is why I also install headers and connectors on all the wiring now in most cases. Many of my earlier modded consoles do NOT have that in place but I've been doing that for the past year now at least.

Also I make sure to use RCA jacks that don't stick out much in the back to also prevent contact with the shield and shorting out.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I have to say I'm rather surprised that everyone has voted yes that they leave the RF shield on, but that's good. I've always thought that that was the way to do things. I remember seeing SwampFox's conglomerated amount of mods on his messy modded Genesis he was trying to sell over a month ago and he didn't even bother putting the RF shield back on (Drakon usually didn't either). I've always found that to be the cheap shortcut way of modding the console, unless it's absolutely necessary for it to be removed (e.g. Hi-Def NES mods, NESRGB Top Loader).

Well the reason I even asked this question was because I successfully did a Region Mod for the first time on one of my spare Genesis 1s but in order to fit it I had to cut the corner leg of the RF shield, not too much though. Now I'm thinking of recapping it because I tried adding a Region Mod to this Genesis Model 1 of mine but for some reason once I tried to mount the toggle switch, it would no longer work when switched to NTSC-J (it worked when I tested it before mounting it). It must've been shorting out or perhaps there wasn't a good connection with the board, it started to get a little bit of some kind of rust anyway.

So I'm going to recap the Genesis 1 that does have the working Region Mod, I'm just confused as to why it even needs a recap because it's in pretty good, clean shape. I just want to make sure, when there's real bad background buzzing noise during silence and it's not the power supply, does that mean that there's a certain cap or caps going bad?

Thanks.
    Few things now that I'm reading this in full...

Make sure when you did your region switch that you didn't put the capacitor back on JP1 in the region section? VA2 and VA3's tend to have that cap and it causes issues trying to switch from US to JPN mode in games.

Also buzzing from the audio that isn't due to the power supply isn't normal no. You could have a ground loop in place or it is possible that there is a short on one of the audio out connections you have in place. Similar to what happens when you first plug in RCA cables into the audio when the system is powered on. All it would take is one tiny stray wire from your stranded wiring to make contact from the ground to the center RCA somewhere to cause headaches...

I always leave it in place. Specially if selling modded units and buyers may expect it to be there . I may do a few cuts here in there but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    Personally, I keep it. I think the shield isn't super important and just more of an FCC certification thing. Maybe it could help if you have a lot of other electronics close by? Either way, it was part of the console when I took it apart, so I always put it back in. They often manage to slice up my fingers in the process though.

I've done the same thing before. Taken a little square out just to make room for something else.

Eh... At least it's a Genesis related topic and not about the Earth being flat or something. Might spawn some interesting discussion about the usefulness of the RF shields.
    Hehe thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Few things now that I'm reading this in full...

Make sure when you did your region switch that you didn't put the capacitor back on JP1 in the region section? VA2 and VA3's tend to have that cap and it causes issues trying to switch from US to JPN mode in games.

Also buzzing from the audio that isn't due to the power supply isn't normal no. You could have a ground loop in place or it is possible that there is a short on one of the audio out connections you have in place. Similar to what happens when you first plug in RCA cables into the audio when the system is powered on. All it would take is one tiny stray wire from your stranded wiring to make contact from the ground to the center RCA somewhere to cause headaches...
    Yikes. Ok thanks, the buzzing happens with generic composite/mono cables, but this doesn't happen using the same cables on any other Genesis 1 I've tried up to now. Also, the stereo output level is very low even when the slider is up to 10. Could it perhaps be the YM2612 chip? I can easily swap the chips between the two Genesis 1s I currently have. I'm basically going to take parts from the other Genesis 1 anyway. That would save me money on buying a cap kit and lots of time on recapping. Although I suppose I can recap anyway before I add more mods just as preventative maintenance.

Maybe there's a loose solder joint somewhere, I guess I can use my multi-meter. What should I look for to find out what's the problem with this Genesis? Check continuity with something? Check the voltage for each cap (and what should it be around for each)? Thanks CrossBow, for all your responses.

Edit: Ok after listening carefully with my studio headphones, some of the notes are off key in Sonic 1 & 2 (and there's very heavy sound distortion during the silent Sega logo screen in Sonic Collection). This really makes me lead to the conclusion that it needs to be recapped and/or possibly even needs new voltage regulators.

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    I always leave it in place. Specially if selling modded units and buyers may expect it to be there . I may do a few cuts here in there but that's about it.
    Well that settles it for me for sure then. I must admit this topic has helped me cope with my OCD on making sure I get things done right.

Although for those of you mentioning the Mega Drive, sorry for not putting it in the poll. I totally forgot about the UK/Europe (sorry!)
    Last edited by roadkill; 09-13-2018 at 03:36 AM.

Thread Information