Quantcast

View Poll Results: Do you leave the RF shield on when you add mods?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for Genesis 1

1 7.14%
  • No for Genesis 1

0 0%
  • Yes for Genesis 2

0 0%
  • No for Genesis 2

0 0%
  • Yes for all Genesis Models

12 85.71%
  • No for all Genesis Models

1 7.14%
  • Yes for all Genesis Models except the Model 3

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you leave the RF shield on for your modded Sega Genesis?

You say you have low volume? Are you taking the audio straight from the headphone jack or do you have separate RCAs installed? If so...where you are you tapping your audio from?

See on va6 and va6.5 units I've found the volume is much lower if you tap the audio directly from the 1034 amp chip itself from pins 1 and 8. But it is also much cleaner line level audio. On the va2 and va3 model 1s, the audio isn't subdued from the 1034.

Because of this issue alone, was one of the main reasons I was so interested in FirebrandX's new model 1 line level amp bypass board he made. It made the line level audio output on my va6.5 I installed one his boards in along line with my va2 and va3 models. The distortion could be due to caps, or it could also be due to some interference getting into the audio line somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    You say you have low volume? Are you taking the audio straight from the headphone jack or do you have separate RCAs installed? If so...where you are you tapping your audio from?

See on va6 and va6.5 units I've found the volume is much lower if you tap the audio directly from the 1034 amp chip itself from pins 1 and 8. But it is also much cleaner line level audio. On the va2 and va3 model 1s, the audio isn't subdued from the 1034.

Because of this issue alone, was one of the main reasons I was so interested in FirebrandX's new model 1 line level amp bypass board he made. It made the line level audio output on my va6.5 I installed one his boards in along line with my va2 and va3 models. The distortion could be due to caps, or it could also be due to some interference getting into the audio line somehow.
    I haven't added anything to it yet (other than the region mod just recently) because when I first got it, I put a modified 32X w. S-Video on it and just figured I'd use the headphone jack for stereo audio on my HDTV where I normally play all of my retro game consoles. For some reason the volume became so low, as in I had to put my HDTV to full blast just to get a normal level of audio, but this is never the case on any other retro console or anything I use with that HDTV.

Strangely though earlier this morning when I was testing it out, the volume level was fine with my studio headphones plugged into it except this time there was just so much audio distortion sounds mixed in even when there wasn't silence. Knowing from testing out a Model 2 that had most of its audio caps replaced to have a different sounding audio circuit (without using a Mega Amp) to sound better, I noticed that some of the audio notes in Sonic and Sonic 2 sounded messed up, or just completely wrong, so this leads me to believe that the caps have gone bad, and I'll even replace the 7805s with new ones because it can't hurt. The last thing that leads me to believe its the caps is that the RF shield is pretty rusted so it must have been stored in a damp environment.

RF shield might be rusted...on top. But what about inside it? I'd still leave the thing on if you can.

Now if the sound is low and distorted from the headphone jack, then it could be the caps...but most likely the volume slider reostat is going bad. I've had to replace two of those. But I've not found a source for them so I snag old VA7 model 1s from the local retro shop on the cheap for like $5 each (Because they know that no one wants them...), and salvage them from those.

So that is another thought. You could also get one of Firebrandx's audio amp bypass boards and not worry about the headphone section at all at that point. Really easy to install his board as compared to other solutions.

RF shield might be rusted...on top. But what about inside it? I'd still leave the thing on if you can.

Now if the sound is low and distorted from the headphone jack, then it could be the caps...but most likely the volume slider reostat is going bad. I've had to replace two of those. But I've not found a source for them so I snag old VA7 model 1s from the local retro shop on the cheap for like $5 each (Because they know that no one wants them...), and salvage them from those.
    I still have my other Genesis 1 that I screwed up the region mod on. I can easily take any part from it and put it on this different Genesis 1 I'm now going to work on.

So that is another thought. You could also get one of Firebrandx's audio amp bypass boards and not worry about the headphone section at all at that point. Really easy to install his board as compared to other solutions.
    That's true actually, that would fix it without a doubt. But I've already ordered the cap kit and the two new 2 amp 7805s. I'll just simply go ahead with the recap as well as upgrade the 7805s. I've already seen how much good replacing just the 7805 alone does to a console when I upgrade to the 2 amp rated ones from console5 on three SNESes of mine, it completely cleared up some really bad video distortion on one of them and cleared up the other two quite well also. A recap can't hurt, and tbh even though I can just get Firebrandx's audio amp, I actually would rather it be completely fixed.
    Last edited by roadkill; 09-14-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Again if non of that takes care of it, then it is the volume slider itself and that would have to be salvaged from another model 1 as again, I've not a found a source for that exact rheostat slider.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I used to remove them as they don't really serve any purpose, but nowadays I leave them in. It's more of a placebo thing for me, they add weight to the console and make them seem more premium.

Thread Information