Quantcast

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get SEGA fans petty grudge frm 20+ years ago.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Puyo

I get it that once Nintendo and SEGA were huge rivals. As adults, we also look back at te business behind them as well but as kids, we just saw the games. Yet some people still have this FUCK NINTENDO YEAH! SWEEP THE LEG! mentality..as an adult and still want to see them fail. It's childish. If you don't care for them as a brand that's fine. Granted I see this with modern day console wars with Sony fans esp towards Xbox and Nintendo. All 3 can be bad but Sony fans at their most extreme are the worst and this is from a person who plays games the most on PS systems. Yet I see the same kinda thing from SEGA fans. Why? Is there some reason you just can't enjoy gaming on all systems? Sure we all love SEGA of old but we don't need the playground crap as adults either. I personally have never understood why anyone holds a grudge period. My personal life has had horrendous things done to me by terrible people and even at home but I never held a grudge. I let it go and moved on. So answer me why are some people clinging to shit from 20 years ago as if it still matters for some justification to act like a moron? Gaming is too good to limit one self.
    Last edited by Leynos; 09-14-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    you now what screw it. forget this topic.
    Too late

I don't get SEGA fans grudge frm 20+ years ago.
    I get it that once Nintendo and SEGA were huge rivals. As adults, we also look back at te business behind them as well but as kids, we just saw the games. Yet some people still have this FUCK NINTENDO YEAH! SWEEP THE LEG! mentality..as an adult and still want to see them fail. It's childish. If you don't care for them as a brand that's fine. Granted I see this with modern day console wars with Sony fans esp towards Xbox and Nintendo. All 3 can be bad but Sony fans at their most extreme are the worst and this is from a person who plays games the most on PS systems. Yet I see the same kinda thing from SEGA fans. Why? Is there some reason you just can't enjoy gaming on all systems? Sure we all love SEGA of old but we don't need the playground crap as adults either. I personally have never understood why anyone holds a grudge period. My personal life has had horrendous things done to me by terrible people and even at home but I never held a grudge. I let it go and moved on. So answer me why are some people clinging to shit from 20 years ago as if it still matters for some justification to act like a moron? Gaming is too good to limit one self.

Sorry bro, but in all my years of gaming, ever since the 90s, Sega has been very much the underdog and Nintendo on the lead. Even during that short period of time when more Sega Genesis consoles were sold than SNES ones meant nothing at all to the bottom line, because that was during a time when Sega Geneses were $119.95 and SNES consoles were $200.

At the end of the day, Nintendo sold way more SNES and other Nintendo systems than Sega did. And this gave rise to a vast majority owning Nintendo products up to the 4th generation. Throughout the years, the dominant voice in forums and in the media has come from Nintendo enthusiasts and, sadly, also many Nintendo fanboys. The ratio of fanboyism that arose from that leans heavily on the side of Nintendo. So for every Sega fanboy comment you see out there, you will find 10 more from the other side.

And as far as the 90s go, there is not one time I remember a Sega owner saying stupid shit like that. Not even me. What I do remember is being shunned multiple times for not having the money to buy the "better" games and system Nintendo had to offer. All while cherishing gaming overall, including an appeal for Nintendo's, and later Sony's, systems and games. The same went for every exclusive Genesis owner I knew back then. Which boiled down to affordability more than anything else.

Also, I never once saw a Sega enthusiast bitd say shit like "I want Nintendo (or Sony) to go under". More systems meant more exclusives and it was good. The commentary back then was more along the lines of "I want Sega to endure".

But if your statement is more about leading the public eye away from system war mentality and more towards cherishing diversity, then cool. But that being said, and this may even be beyond the scope of this thread, this old notion of "systems war mentality" has been diluted over the years to an obtuse mob mentality where you see generic statements being made like "why can't we all just get along" for the sake of wanting all games to come from a single system and company. That is wrong in so many levels.

Monopoly has never been good for the consumer. One single entity can rack up prices as it sees fit. It has already happened in other industries multiple times in the past. If this obtuse statement means opening that single, all-in-one system to varying entities, which will never happen, then also bad; as the quality control will vary greatly amongst them. If it means "let's get rid of all consoles and go strictly PC gaming", also bad; as it will most definitely not afford the simplicity of use or user friendliness that console gamers have enjoyed throughout the years.

At the end of the day, more mainstream companies making generational mainstream consoles means more excellent exclusives, competition will keep console and game prices under control, it will drive game companies to be better and better, and this is all good for the consumer. Even when all I could afford was a $119.95 Sega Genesis with two games in 1994, I knew this. And nobody needed to explain that to me for it to make sense. Crying because your chosen system can't play the other's exclusives is childish.
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 09-13-2018 at 04:27 PM.

tl:dr

want the topic to die.

Same with fanboys of all brands, including "the PC master race" .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I think it's great that Nintendo is still a viable company. Since the big faceless corporate conglomerates have taken over the console gaming industry, it's refreshing that a real video game company is still in the mix.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

tl:dr

want the topic to die.
    Lame as fuck

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Nintendo is very much also a conglomerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    Lame as fuck
    I agree. It is a great topic and thread. I vote we keep it alive.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

SEGA 'TIL I DIE!! TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES AGES, TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES SEGA! GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T! BLAST PROCESSING, BITCH!

See, I've completely moved on from the playground console wars of my childhood, and am now a fully developed mature adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    SEGA 'TIL I DIE!! TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES AGES, TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES SEGA! GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T! BLAST PROCESSING, BITCH!

See, I've completely moved on from the playground console wars of my childhood, and am now a fully developed mature adult.
    Bitch, please. Blast processing isn't as good a Turbo x16!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

More processors = better gameplay

I don't consider it grudge, more like a constant annoyance. To this day, there are far too many people who think gaming began with the NES and that Sega only put up a good fight for a while instead of toppling Nintendo's momentum. Regardless of whether it sustained its success or not, the impact Sega had on the gaming industry is still being felt today, and it has a rightful place in gaming history, something many people either ignore or simply know nothing about.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

The purpose of a game system is to play (hopefully exclusive) games. Have every system, play the exclusive games, and you win. Swearing allegiance to any corporation is idiotic. I was a ward of the state during the 16 bit era, and I ended up with both the SNES and the Genesis, renting games for each because having more than $5 was like having more than two eyes to me at the time. Still, I got to learn that I can go three days and nights with no food or water, while locked in a stone room with a steel door. Umm... Video games?
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I don't consider it grudge, more like a constant annoyance. To this day, there are far too many people who think gaming began with the NES and that Sega only put up a good fight for a while instead of toppling Nintendo's momentum. Regardless of whether it sustained its success or not, the impact Sega had on the gaming industry is still being felt today, and it has a rightful place in gaming history, something many people either ignore or simply know nothing about.
    The Genesis paved the way for the PlayStation. Sony should be thankful for that.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

i had both growing up so no hate here, some games i enjoyed on the snes, others on the genesis. Meh, play what you want, nothing is stopping you from enjoying both. there was always an underdog feel to the genesis once the snes hit, but really they both had their pluses and minuses.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

I had both, Sega Genesis first, then an SNES. SNES was pretty boring by comparison, IMO.

Sega Genesis model 1 had undeniable class, and the Genesis edged out the SNES in so many technical aspects. Besides that, I don't like following the crowd. Who cares if most people preferred the SNES? Most people are stupid.

Having said that, I didn't get the idea of the 'console war' being meaningful to individuals. Just get both and enjoy them both.
    Last edited by ITViking; 09-14-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Thread Information