Quantcast

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis/Megadrive Mini (Official Thread)

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

It's a bit of a shame there won't be a gigantic hundreds-of-games catalogue. The memory is certainly large enough for it.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

In regards to AtGames: Has it ever been confirmed that they're not a part of this? Some people on Twitter are still arguing that they're involved, but that Sega is avoiding AtGames branding.

I think the argument is that AtGames has manufacturing and distribution pipelines that Sega lacks. Who knows. But I don't think they'll be touching the emulation, which is the main point.

They once tweeted something back when the Mini was first announced and then had to remove the tweet in a few minutes. I don't think they'd do that unless they thought they had a license and quickly realized that no, they didn't. Nobody heard anything else about AtGames since then (aside from them using the 6-button controller shape on other machines that had nothing to do with Sega, because they're such a mess right now).

Unless SOJ themselves want to let AtGames handle manufacturing, I really doubt they'll be involved. I'd expect everybody to get their minis from the same source. Though chances are that we won't know until after launch (if we ever do).

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    It's a bit of a shame there won't be a gigantic hundreds-of-games catalogue. The memory is certainly large enough for it.
    Oh no, we can't have that! That would lower the market price for physical copies of Sega games and thus lower the value of my collection! I insist on there being no more than 40-45 games included, and that's being more than generous from Sega. ;-)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Who are the European players who remembers playing Thunder Force III, and as said, US players playing Super Fantasy Zone? Gunstar Heroes didn't sell well in the west. And how much time does it take to learn to play Alien Solder? Five minutes? Shining Force takes much longer.
    ok point taken
    Nevertheless, die-hard Sega fans are not the main target of this thing even if they are somewhat listening to them. How many are we, anyway, around 1-2.000 people around the world, at best? We are very niche, especially comparing with the people who remember playing Sonic or Streets of Rage but are still unsure what their childhood console name ever was. Was it "the Sega"?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    ok point taken
    Nevertheless, die-hard Sega fans are not the main target of this thing even if they are somewhat listening to them. How many are we, anyway, around 1-2.000 people around the world, at best? We are very niche, especially comparing with the people who remember playing Sonic or Streets of Rage but are still unsure what their childhood console name ever was. Was it "the Sega"?
    No way. Look at the Sega Genesis Classics collection on Steam. It sold 350,000 in its first month:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...game_sales.php

These aren't "casuals" strolling through the supermarket who just throw this in their shopping cart on a whim because they played some Sonic game on "the Sega" when they were younger. Those people have long since moved on to some clicker game on their phone.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Not like SEGA stopped making consoles 50 years ago. The fans still exist just most might be the mid-30s to mid to late 40s. Tho I don't think all of that 350k is SEGA fans, probably a majority but not all. It is popular for indie games to look like old 2D games so some probably want to try some older stuff because of an indie game. Seen some younger people want to try Genesis Sonic after Freedom Planet. SEGA Mini will do well but don't think anyone should expect it to sell 10 million like the NES/SNES classic.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    In regards to AtGames: Has it ever been confirmed that they're not a part of this?
    Yes it's been confirmed by Sega that ATgames no longer has anything to do with the Mega Drive Mini. M2 and previous developers of the original Mega Drive system are now 100% handling this.
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Yes it's been confirmed by Sega that ATgames no longer has anything to do with the Mega Drive Mini. M2 and previous developers of the original Mega Drive system are now 100% handling this.
    Where was it confirmed?

As far as I know, the only thing that happened was that AtGames deleted their tweet. They could definitely still be handling distribution of this outside of Japan...

But anyway, they're not touching the emulation so I think everybody will be happy.

Opa-Opa

That's possible but I don't see Atgames handling anything. It's already been an embarrassment for them being told they arn't doing shit to the system for software or hardware.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 04-28-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    05/05/15

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Yes M2 is handling the ports.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/30/...-date-sonic-2/
    https://sea.ign.com/sonic-the-hedgeh...al-games-lineu
    https://gematsu.com/2019/03/sega-gen...s-september-19
    Atgames was dropped and they instead made a deal and reused the molds of those old fake Genesis systems/controllers for Pacman and old 80s Namco games. Some systems had the arcade version and others the Atari version and it's random so no way to tell which has which. People asked what's up and they blocked anyone who asked same with people who asked about SEGA a few months back. Pretty clear they are bitter.

https://sega.jp/mdmini/feature.html
    https://sega.jp/mdmini/titlelist.html
    https://sega.jp/mdmini/

When announced it was confirmed on their website so likely still there if someone can read Japanese.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Genesis Mini is already a top 10 pre-order on Amazon even though it's not out yet or at least a few weeks ago when I checked, it was. I'm sure it'll do well enough.

I also bought the entire Sega Genesis Steam collection on sale for $15, and use the ROMs on my RetroPie so long as I have legal ownership of them. Sega was generous enough to provide the ROMs for use in another emulator besides the included one from Steam, which got flack because of it's lag due to extra baggage. If you go into the app folder for Sega Genesis Classics, you'll find a folder, completely unencrypted or uncompressed, called simply "Uncompressed ROMs". This includes the international versions of games like Beyond Oasis and everything you were given when you bought the package. There's a few in SMD format, many in BIN, and some in 68K and SGD formats which are just BINs that need the extensions renamed. Kind of makes you wonder about where the developers sourced them from. According to both GoodSet and No-Intro, however, nearly every game is the same as the ones online, just for your information. Either way, you have them in a totally legit way and are entitled to use them on another emulator of your choice. I stopped downloading ROMs illegally in recent years (including BIOS) that were not authorized by the rights owners (with the rare exception of certain prototypes, as I dumped a few myself for preservation). I only play the games included in the Steam set on Pie, but will use patches from the internet that are applicable to the ones I have like the Amy in Sonic hacks.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    No way. Look at the Sega Genesis Classics collection on Steam. It sold 350,000 in its first month:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...game_sales.php

These aren't "casuals" strolling through the supermarket who just throw this in their shopping cart on a whim because they played some Sonic game on "the Sega" when they were younger. Those people have long since moved on to some clicker game on their phone.
    People buying retro compilations or the Megadrive/Genesis mini are not the niche I'm talking about. They are mostly childhood memories seekers, indie games fans, etc etc + the niche of the few thousands of people who ACTUALLY buy new games for the system whenever a new game is released (Tanglewood etc). They are not only casual players, ok, but still, they don't belong to that very small niche which lurks around places like this one, claiming no Alien Soldier would be a huge mistake but leaving Aladdin out is ok because it's a meh game
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    People buying retro compilations or the Megadrive/Genesis mini are not the niche I'm talking about. They are mostly childhood memories seekers, indie games fans, etc etc + the niche of the few thousands of people who ACTUALLY buy new games for the system whenever a new game is released (Tanglewood etc).
    That's quite true, Retro is just so in vogue now, not just for video games but for most things, be that clothing (With the likes of Nike making their 90's style Airmax shoes and classic Jordan tops) in films with the likes of Zavvi doing VHS style collections for 80's classic like The THING and for music with bloody vinyl making a comeback; I grew up with that format and its crap IMO lol, but its from people youth, so that now means its a classic, which means its 'cool'. The Mega Drive Mini is really going to appeal to all us SEGA fans who had the console back in the day: which is now 30 years ago and so by its very nature, will means its a lot of people looking to relive some of the best parts of their gaming youth and gaming will always seem far more special when you're young, to when you're a mature gamer.

And no doubt the reason why SEGA dropped AT games is down to the horrible feedback it would have seen on social media, never mind the press. It's very good to see SEGA did act on the news and that fact alone, will mean many of the old school die-hard gamers, will now buy the product. SEGA not to bad at the moment (for Sammy SEGA that is) which some half decent console productions and now looking to act on fan feedback. Not the old CSK SEGA I grew up with and loved, but the best SEGA been since SAMMY got hold of this amazing corp.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I definitely want a good Genny Mini, but I already have the equivalent through my "hacked" SNES Classic (filled with extra SNES, Genesis, and PCE ROMs).

Thread Information