Quantcast

View Poll Results: Which was the worst (or most hated)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atari 2600

2 9.09%
  • Odyssey II

2 9.09%
  • Intellivision

1 4.55%
  • ColecoVision

0 0%
  • Atari 5200

6 27.27%
  • Vectrex

0 0%
  • Channel F

1 4.55%
  • Arcadia 2001

1 4.55%
  • RCA Studio II

7 31.82%
  • Other

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worst of the Pre-NES Systems

Default Worst of the Pre-NES Systems

Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 is coming out this winter and I'm curious as to see which of the pre-NES systems gets the most hate.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Assuming we're talking programmable systems with cartridges and not just ones with built in games, I would say the worst is the RCA Studio II. It came out after the Channel F but was inferior (black and white), and it was much weaker than the VCS and everything after it in terms of technology and game library.

ZX Spectrum

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Atari 5200 was pretty bad. Not sure about worst but it was a giant no literally a giant machine and it was garbage. Controllers fell apart out of the box. What the fuck was up with that switch box thing? What a pain in the ass! Then when it came down to the library. It sucked. It's not even the worst Atari machine which is pretty sad but man it sealed Atari's fate before 7800.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Assuming we're talking programmable systems with cartridges and not just ones with built in games, I would say the worst is the RCA Studio II. It came out after the Channel F but was inferior (black and white), and it was much weaker than the VCS and everything after it in terms of technology and game library.
    We're talking programmable systems, so no Pong clones, no flashback stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Atari 5200 was pretty bad. Not sure about worst but it was a giant no literally a giant machine and it was garbage. Controllers fell apart out of the box. What the fuck was up with that switch box thing? What a pain in the ass! Then when it came down to the library. It sucked. It's not even the worst Atari machine which is pretty sad but man it sealed Atari's fate before 7800.
    No doubt there's far worse systems, but for that era, 5200 seems like the perfect candidate for the worst ever. One of the reasons for this topic is that there is going to be games for the 5200 coming onto the PS4 and Xbox One in Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3. Would that help give the 5200 a little bit of love or more hate? Has there even been any compilations for that system. There's plenty of 2600 ones.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

5200 games with a proper controller are generally well liked among fans of that era based on the Atari 8-bit computer versions. I don't think the 5200 will become any more or less hated. There have been emulation options to play the games with better controls for a long time now.

I have never seen a 5200 compilation. Only Atari console I know of (I will admit not being the most knowledgeable on Atari systems) post 2600 with ports to other machines is Jaguar. Tempest 2000.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

5200 games are great and have a nice signature console aesthetic. Just as I defend consoles like N64, there's no excuse today for dismissing libraries of games because of a controller (or video, convenience, etc) issue that no longer exists. Like the clowns that do SNES/Genesis SFII comparisons and say that the Genesis sux because it only has 3 buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

When I played the system back in the day the games I played didn't impress me. It wasn't just controllers. I hated the idea of the Switch box. I hated the size of the thing. I never played RCA Studio II but of the 80s consoles, I played in my life. 5200 is the worst. I don't think Atari as a brand is all that great either. 2600 legend in its day but aged poorly. After 2600 Atari was a bit crap in every system they made. They were better as a publisher to me than a console maker and that's not saying a lot. I began gaming on Atari but I don't have rose tinted glasses about them. Atari just wasn't that great overall.
    Last edited by Leynos; 09-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.

I was a bit biased against 2600 as a kid because I hated Atari hogging so much of the attention (I had a VIC-20 and Intellivision) but I ended up becoming a huge fan later on. I disagree with the 2600 aging badly. There are plenty of games on it I love playing today, many of which I didn't play or didn't care for back in the day. And I think Atari's arcade output in the '70s and early '80s is enough to give them legendary status.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The main reason I donít own an Atari 5200 is because most of its library was available on the Atari 8-bit computers and the C64. You can use a 2600 trackball with the C64, so the few trackball games on the 5200 work on a C64.

Iíve seen enough of the Fairchild F and RCA Studio II to say that they are both pretty crappy.

I grew up with an Atari VCS since 1978. Yeah, a lot of games havenít aged well, but I can still have a good time with Warlords, Kaboom!, Ms. PAC-MAN, Omega Race, Missile Command, Pitfall and Breakout.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I still miss my Atari 2600 library. We had a black Darth Vader 2600, growing up. OEM Atari joysticks were probably the worst POS ever, so we usually went with QuickShot sticks, which weren't great either but at least usually put up with our gorilla hands well enough.

Master of Shinobi

I think the VCS has aged about as well as any hardware from 1977 could. The games are simple but I enjoyed them back in the day, if you can use your imagination for the graphics they are still playable.

5200 is a strong candidate for the worst, the controllers were terrible and I can't think of a single exclusive title worth playing. (Did it even have any exclusive titles?)

For the best pre-NES system I'd say the Colecovision, impressive graphics for 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    5200 games are great and have a nice signature console aesthetic. Just as I defend consoles like N64, there's no excuse today for dismissing libraries of games because of a controller (or video, convenience, etc) issue that no longer exists. Like the clowns that do SNES/Genesis SFII comparisons and say that the Genesis sux because it only has 3 buttons.
    Unless one knows how to fix them, the 5200 doesn't have many controller alternatives compared to other systems. It's still a problem, no matter the era whether it was 35 years ago or today.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    Unless one knows how to fix them, the 5200 doesn't have many controller alternatives compared to other systems. It's still a problem, no matter the era whether it was 35 years ago or today.
    Right, also the topic was worst system, not worst games. The 5200 games might be better technically than the 2600 but that is of little value if the system to play them on barely works.

Thread Information