Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fave Saturn games?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I think I'm going to have to import X-Men vs Street Fighter. I played the Playstation version back in the late 90s, and I thought it was all right, but nothing special. Apparently, the Saturn version is supposed to be near arcade perfect compared to the gimped Playstation version though. Does anyone know if the RAM feature on the Action Replay cart is compatible with Japanese games? I use the Action Replay or Game Shark for playing JPN games on my American Saturn, but I've never tried it with one that required the separate RAM cart. If it does need the official Japanese RAM cart, will that cart work on an American Saturn? If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Does anyone know if the RAM feature on the Action Replay cart is compatible with Japanese games?
    Yes, it is.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Awewsome! Thanks, Phantar.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I kind of regretted trading that game in, to get a Dreamcast, but I've always felt that Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men vs. Street Fighter filled that void.
    I wouldn't agree with that, COTA plays quite a bit differently than all the later VS games. It is one of the few fighting games where your moves have momentum to them, affecting how far they reach. It isn't limited to just "dashing dragon punch travels slightly further forward", it is entirely dynamic and always depends on your movement. It is the most noticeable with Akuma (hidden character), you can make the hurricane kick spin in place or rocket forward the entire length of the arena depending on how much movement speed you had built up. This allows you to alter the reach of your attacks, having greater control over them, admittedly it is also difficult to do and it can backfire, but it's one of the rare games where this is possible. It is quite a unique experience, especially if you compare how Akuma fights in that game compared to later titles.
    You also do not have automatic super jumps on launchers, or special combo chains on super jumps, so it feels stiffer at first but you can still do those things manually, with some practice.

And unlike the later games, it actually feels like an X-men game. Not just in that it has comic-like animation, but the arenas, the character behaviours, even the fight end quotes and especially the fight with Magneto feels like something out of the comic. None of the later games in the series had any of that (to be fair mostly because they are all based on crossovers, not a single family of comics... even MSH was based on a crossover comic, but in its defense it was a far better adaptation than Avengers Endgame).

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I think I'm going to have to import X-Men vs Street Fighter. I played the Playstation version back in the late 90s, and I thought it was all right, but nothing special. Apparently, the Saturn version is supposed to be near arcade perfect compared to the gimped Playstation version though. Does anyone know if the RAM feature on the Action Replay cart is compatible with Japanese games? I use the Action Replay or Game Shark for playing JPN games on my American Saturn, but I've never tried it with one that required the separate RAM cart. If it does need the official Japanese RAM cart, will that cart work on an American Saturn? If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
    Yeah, that's what it's there for.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Well, sorry to be a failure then. 😉. Thing is, I don't care much for Racing games, never was much good at them. I agree that Sega rally championship is pretty good, better than most in its day really, from a purely technical POV. But this is about personal favorites, and I simply don't favor racing games of any kind unless they also allow for destruction and mayhem, like maybe the Burnout titles.
    I'm not being 100% serious here. Maybe I should have put a at the end of it.

On an unrelated note, I've recently dabbled with the fan translation of Sakura wars. It's a strangely fascinating game. I've still not even finished half of it I reckon, but if the quality keeps up, this one might also be a contender for personal favorites on the platform.
    I guess I need to burn a copy of the translated version. I've always heard good things about the game.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

X-Men vs SF was very impressive back in its day due to having the full-screen giant super moves applied to the SF cast, plus you could do TWO of those at the same time, and of course the tag team action and free flowing combos were very novel at the time. But it's not as impressive if you have played any of its half dozen sequels. Still, pretty good show for the Saturn, especially the loading times (or lack thereof).

Personally I prefer Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, it has a somewhat more mixed bag cast, but it has more moves, better visuals, assists, new music, etc. It is much closer to its sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I wouldn't agree with that, COTA plays quite a bit differently than all the later VS games. It is one of the few fighting games where your moves have momentum to them, affecting how far they reach. It isn't limited to just "dashing dragon punch travels slightly further forward", it is entirely dynamic and always depends on your movement. It is the most noticeable with Akuma (hidden character), you can make the hurricane kick spin in place or rocket forward the entire length of the arena depending on how much movement speed you had built up. This allows you to alter the reach of your attacks, having greater control over them, admittedly it is also difficult to do and it can backfire, but it's one of the rare games where this is possible. It is quite a unique experience, especially if you compare how Akuma fights in that game compared to later titles.
    You also do not have automatic super jumps on launchers, or special combo chains on super jumps, so it feels stiffer at first but you can still do those things manually, with some practice.

And unlike the later games, it actually feels like an X-men game. Not just in that it has comic-like animation, but the arenas, the character behaviours, even the fight end quotes and especially the fight with Magneto feels like something out of the comic. None of the later games in the series had any of that (to be fair mostly because they are all based on crossovers, not a single family of comics... even MSH was based on a crossover comic, but in its defense it was a far better adaptation than Avengers Endgame).
    Simply fabulous post and so spot on #Respect
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Nameless One

Does anyone else prefer Panzer Dragoon 1 over 2 ? Or is it just me

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    Not just you.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Tres!

Master of Shinobi

If PD1 had the same framerate and allowed for berserk attacks like PD2, I'd perhaps prefer it over its sequel.
    There's a 60fps cheat but it doesn't just make the framerate higher, it speeds up the game too - plus then the slowdowns are more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    No. The 1st game is much better. I like the bosses more, the art direction, intro and music more too. The 1st game captured perfectly the feeling of it's you and your faithful pet up against the whole world.
    IMO It's the best game SEGA ever made and my old-time favourite game. For sure there's games I played and play far more, but no other game had the impact on me like Panzer Dragoon, very much like Blade Runner in films. I was just memorised by the world
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Games like Magical Drop 3, Magical Drop 2, Puyo Puyo Tsuu, Puyo Puyo Sun, and Cleopatra Fortune are some of my favorite puzzle games on the Saturn, but I like those series on whatever consoles they happen to be on as well. Now the SNK stuff on the Saturn I like, I've gone out of my way to have everything SNK made and put out on the Saturn (including Metal Slug). I am a fan of many arcade ports on the console, besides those puzzle games I listed, stuff like Liquid Kids, Bubble Symphony, Elevator Action Returns, Metal Black, Pulirula, Night Striker, Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter, Pocket Fighter, Vampire Savior, and several more games. I own 57 games for the console, a majority of them are imports, many purchased while they were cheaper years ago, though I still pick up the occasional Saturn game, like Hanagumi Taisen Columns, that are at a fair price, and not overly expensive.

Out of all the Saturn games I own, or have played, Bubble Symphony, Elevator Action Returns, and Liquid Kids are my top 3 games, with Sexy Parodius being a distant 4th.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Well, today is the 26th anniversary of the launch of the SEGA Saturn in Japan, time goes on.

Fave Saturn games?

Thread Information