Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Fave Saturn games?

Old Sega is where it's at Wildside Expert Mykaizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    I had a PSX and the only Saturn-related game I played more or less during that time was the PC port of Sonic R. Despite being quite a mediocre game (despite being made by my heroes from TT), it provided some mindless fun for a couple of months.
    The thing is I just watched an old video of the Top Hat Gamer where he shits - on character. Who knows: maybe he enjoys it IRL - on that game's soundtrack and, inspired him and what seems to be about 75% of the retrogaming community, I have to make a confession: I adore Sonic-R's soundtrack! It may by my fav video game soundtrack of all time! [huffa-puffa, huffa-puffa, huffa-puffa]. Yes, I love it so much that I actually made a full copy of the game just to hear it, and almost 20 years later, I still play that CD often.
    I hve to admit that those lyrics (Living in the City being the most egregious example) are beyond stupid, but that happy-go-lucky Eurobeat still makes manages to cheer me up when I'm down: There are many albums that I may prefer to listen, but it's either Sonic-R or Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything that I play when I feel sad.
    I have to say the soundtrack is what makes the game worth it. Lol. "Work it out" to me is the best track with good meaningful lyrics. Some call it "cheesy" but I love the uplifting feeling I get when listening to it.
    "We all need to work together
    To build a better life"

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Sonic R's OST is awesome. The game is pure jank but in a fun way with a group of people. Playing it alone isn't fun but with a group it's hilarious.

Life?!...What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yes, there are SEGA GT, F355, Get Bass... albums released every 5 years in Japan. It's funny how people seem to now love Sonic R soundtrack, it used to be slated back in the day and the butt of jokes; How dare Naka-san put in a mandate for lyrics in a Sonic game, much less choose Richard Jacques to do the music, instead of SEGA digital studio.
    You are selling it short. People HATED the Sonic R soundtrack BITD. It was the same people that hate all the modern games today. Some people just can't enjoy things I guess.

Loved this song off the MSR soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    You are selling it short. People HATED the Sonic R soundtrack BITD. It was the same people that hate all the modern games today. Some people just can't enjoy things I guess.

Loved this song off the MSR soundtrack.

True, many people also hated the Daytona USA soundtrack at the time and now it's held up as a classic. MSR soundtrack was awesome, it must have been a massive effort, given how good each song was
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 04-28-2022 at 05:56 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Six Button Shooter Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I admit that I was initially put off with the singing in Sonic R's soundtrack, but there is the option to have instrumental versions, so it's nothing to bark about. After time I came to truly enjoy those songs and singing.

Sonic R needed twice as much content. Even different modes would have added something else worthwhile to do. A randomize feature like Burning Rangers had would have been cool.

Well, it's nice to see I'm not alone on loving Richard Jacques' work on Sonic Rů And that I'm not the only one here that likes Todd Rundgren (offtopic: that said, my fav band of all time is Earth Wind & Fire, followed by The Beatles and Supertramp. About solo artists, it's Stevie Wonder. Of course, all these with hundreds of other artists I love, Rundgren included).

Also, jeez, was my original post full of typos or what . Gotta fix some of them.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 04-28-2022 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Sonic R needed twice as much content. Even different modes would have added something else worthwhile to do. A randomize feature like Burning Rangers had would have been cool.
    I agree, but the team were given an mandate to get it out for Christmas. It really needed a sequel. To me it's very much with like Pen Pen, a lovely game, hated by many and where double the tracks and more content would have made all the difference. I love both and we really should have had both a Sonic R 2 and Pen Pen 2 on the DC (yes I know Pen Pen was on the DC) with double the tracks and full online support for rankings, replays and head to head online racing.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Best games in no particular order:

Panzer Dragoon Saga - One of the best RPGs I have ever played, bar none. Shame that most can't play it due to the price, but it is a fantastic game. Short and sweet, great story and great gameplay without being repetitive. Truly a masterpiece.

Policenauts - In the vein of Snatcher, another rare, Japanese-only game that recently got a great English translation a few years back that is very worthwhile to play.

Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 - One of my favorite fighters, more characters than the Arcade version and an amazing look and framrate. Just an extremely well-done port.

Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend: A fun pool game that is a sequel to Side Pocket by Data East, solid gameplay with campy FMV.

World Series Baseball 98: A very underrated baseball game with great controls and a great feel. This and World Series Baseball II (The pre-rendered 2D version of the game released before 98) blows away any baseball game on the Genesis.

Sega Ages - A 3 pack of Outrun, Space Harrier, and After Burner that plays excellently on the Saturn.

NiGHTS into Dreams: It's appeal is a bit esoteric as far as video games go, but once you get the hang of it, it's a weird sort of racing game through loops that gets quite addictive, with memorable music and memorable boss battles. A little too short, but a worthy addition to any Saturn library.

Darius Gaiden - An excellent horizontal shmup that is not too difficult with some great graphics and a cool powerup system.

Sonic R - A campy racer with one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard, it really feels like what Sonic was supposed to look like in 3D prior to the weird redesign that occurred after this game released. Feels like the end of an era.
    I forgot to add one thing to this list: Putting a CD in and watching the spaceship fly off!

But in all seriousness, some more Saturn worthwhile but ones that don't quite get there:

X-Men vs Street Fighter - Unbalanced by pro standards with plenty of infinite combos, it is my second-favorite of the Capcom vs. fighters behind Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for not being quite as crazy.

Sonic Jam - The original four games alongside a ton of exclusive artwork and the 3D world. Sound effects are a little off from the originals, since I believe they are in PCM. But where is Knuckles Chaotix?

House of the Dead - Re-loa-loa-loa-loa-load! Shoot outside-side-side-side-side the screen-screen-screen-screen. Also costs $500.

Daytona USA - I dont care about the graphics, this Daytona game still has the best handling outside the most recent arcade only (but secretly on Windows) port. But those draw distances.

Sega Rally Championship - Grear fun, but difficult as heck. Love the handling of the Rally car and the soundtrack though. Game Over Yeaaaaaaaah!

Burning Rangers - Should have been put on the Dreamcast. Great theme songs accompany almost nonexistent in-game music, terribly flickery graphics that leave you confused as where to go, and a lack of overall levels or truly coherent plot leaves for a lackluster experience. I played the heck out of it anyway.

I never cared for the Virtua Fighter series of games. 3D fighting on the moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information