Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave Saturn games?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

SG-1000 Fave Saturn games?

I have to admit. I may own like 40 or so Saturn games. Most of them are RPGs or fighting games as those are the most affordable. Sadly so many Shmups I'm just not able to buy. So I might have picked something else if I had a larger selection. That said despite my avatar and sig and I do own Assualt Suit Leynos 2 on the thing, least liked the game in the series. I love Virtual On sure but I like the DC game a lot more. So my fave game on the system for similar reasons as Strider 2 on PS1 is Bulk Slash. The main character is a 2D sprite with 3D environments and a fun action game I can always replay. I look at the game as a primitive sorta prototype for games like Zone of the Enders. Music again has that 90s feel of synth/midi whatever it's called. My fave era of gaming music. Like the PS1 topic if this takes off I have more games to mention.

Guardian Heroes is my other favorite game on the system. I won't post the OST since you all know it. It was Treasure at their peak. While we never got a full-blown worthy sequel, Code of Princess is as close as we got. Such an addictive game and I don't know how many times I played it on Saturn and Xbox 360. Not much I can say about GH that's been said before but it's easily one of my fave game son the system.
    Last edited by Leynos; 10-02-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Has anyone played anything from the Japanese launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Has anyone played anything from the Japanese launch?
    Still, have my launch Saturn with the 2 Launch games I got with it (Tama and VF) VF was off the chart amazing in Nov 94 and even Tama was ok: Just think of it as a very primitive precursor to Moneyball

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Anyone I have over 300 Saturn games and these would be my Saturn top 10 titles

1). Panzer Dragoon - My fav game of all time. I love the game setting the use of Dragons and the sense of companionship with the player and his Pet Dragon, how it was just you and the Dragon against the whole world (well the Empire) . The best art direction in the series, the best boss battles, the best intro to any game ever and an amazing soundtrack to boot

2). Soukyugurentai - The best shooter ever made, for the shooting GODs that were RAIZING. Its my most played game of all time and I still love it and play it on a monthly basis.

3). Exhumed - The best FPS ever made, still to this day. With Mario IV levels of level design perfection and a brilliant mix of Platform, Metroid and FPS style of games. Such a shame, still to this day many class it as just 'A Doom clone set in Egypt'

4). Decathlete - The best 2 player sports game of the 32Bit gen and the best ever track and field game. Plus it looks and runs like a Model 2 game too

5). SEGA Rally - No other game will ever match or beat this game perfect car handling.

6). Panzer Dragoon Saga - The best RPG of the 32bit gen, with most prob the best music score to any game ever

7). Radiant Silvergun - The best showcase game ever made and a true 2 finger gesture, to those who said the Saturn couldn't do 3D, couldn't match the PS and the Saturn was hard to programme for. This game was just the work of 6 staff, using modelling 3D tools downloaded off the internet for free.

8). Duke Nukem 3D - The best version of one of the best FPS's ever made. SEGA really should have added Lobotomy to their In-House teams after this game

9). Resident Evil - Plays and controllers better than the PS version and the extra content was just fab

10). Panzer Dragoon Zwei - The writing on the game disc said it all 'Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of the best 3D shooting games available Presented for your pleasure'
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Puyo Puyo Sun (have these on PS1 as well, because I love Puyo Puyo) - because 2 great puzzle games with an insane cast, and high difficulty is quite fun

Magical Drop 3 (also on PS1, it's a tad different, and great there too)- more great puzzle action

Elevator Action Returns - nothing like playing spy, gunning down enemies out to kill you, while diffusing bombs. Plus it comes with the original EA as well.

Liquid Kids- absolutely perfect home port from the arcade. Fantastic game.

Bubble Symphony - arcade perfect, plus it can be played in English via code, if you love Bubble Bobble, you'll love this. This same code also works on Liquid Kids, and Elevator Action Returns (unlocks the original game without beating EAR).

King of Fighters 97 - if you can live with slightly higher pitched audio for the voices, the game itself is quite solid.

Samurai Spirits 4 Amakusa Kourin - great samurai action, everyone knows what the series is about by now. The Saturn port is pretty amazing, other than slightly lower quality voice audio.

Pocket Fighter - Though there's a better emulated version on alpha Anthology on PS2, this version is quite solid. Sadly creeping up in price these days though.

Rockman 8 - the game gets flack, mostly due to the US voice acting on the US PS1 version, but the Japanese version has a more natural sounding voice cast. Having 2 optional older bosses in the game, Wood and Cutman give it a bit more oomph over the PS1 version. Avoid Super Adventure Rockman on the Saturn though, there's a big batch of bad press discs that are still floating out there. I had one a friend got me, but he found the error first, and told me to send him back the Saturn copy, and he traded it for a PS1 version for me.

Layer Section- simply one of Taito's best shoot em ups for the Saturn. The game feels, and looks like a work of art, and is simply marvelous to look at and play.

Battle Garegga - great game, stupidly expensive price tag though. But for what it is, one of the best horizontal shmups on the the Saturn, right next to Layer Section of course.

Darius 2 - if you can get over the weird zoom in/out feature, and not go blind by the zoom out, you'll find a fantastic horizontal shmup.

Darius Gaiden - one of the cheapest Saturn shmups still out there, amazing game.

Metal Black - another hori shmup from Taito, very dark atmosphere, and a bit difficult to get through.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Panzer Dragoon, on WIZARD MODE

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    3). Exhumed - The best FPS ever made, still to this day. With Mario IV levels of level design perfection and a brilliant mix of Platform, Metroid and FPS style of games. Such a shame, still to this day many class it as just 'A Doom clone set in Egypt'
    Well, now I have to try it. Wasn't it originally on PC?

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon, has anyone heard this CD? It is fantastic.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

In no particular order:

Darius Gaiden. The first shooter I ever player. I still adore the music, design, and crazy graphics.

Virtua Cop. RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD. Short, but fun.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. I especially enjoy the sort of alternate timeline/post apocalypse setting. It sort of reminds me of Nausicaa.

Metal Slug. Great port of the Neo Geo classic.

Sonic R. Half honestly, half ironically. It's juuust goofy enough to enjoy.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

My problem with the Saturn was that all the games were short. Gone were the days-long RPGs of the 16-bit days with a few exceptions (mostly in 2D). The PSX/N64 suffered from this too.

Panzer Dragoon Saga stands alone, but it's a very late title.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

My problem with the Saturn was that all the games were short. Gone were the days-long RPGs of the 16-bit days with a few exceptions (mostly in 2D). The PSX/N64 suffered from this too.

I prefer longer RPGs.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

I just love the saturn

It has FENG SHUI like none other

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    In no particular order:

Darius Gaiden. The first shooter I ever player. I still adore the music, design, and crazy graphics.

Virtua Cop. RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD. Short, but fun.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. I especially enjoy the sort of alternate timeline/post apocalypse setting. It sort of reminds me of Nausicaa.

Metal Slug. Great port of the Neo Geo classic.

Sonic R. Half honestly, half ironically. It's juuust goofy enough to enjoy.
    nausica. yes but much darker and the storyline is purely based on quantum mechanics, which is revealed by the absolute shocking ending. it's my favorite storyline in all of gaming and perhaps in any form of media except game of thrones.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

is this serious? panzer dragoon saga was a super short rpg so I don't understand your argument at all. yet countless saturn rpg's are at least 40-80 hours long like all the shining force 3 scenarios, the holy ark, dragon force 1 and 2, mystaria and pretty much every rpg. in fact name me any saturn rpg shorter than 20 hours? only panzer dragoon saga is.

Well, now I have to try it. Wasn't it originally on PC?
    [/IMG]
    Yes, but its not the same game. Forget Prime, Lobotomy perfected mixing jumping and Metroid style gameplay in an FPS with Exhumed years before Prime and the level design is better too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Thunder Force V
    Digital Pinball Necronomicon

Both with the volume maxed out.

Thread Information