Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intellivision Amico Console announced - Hundreds of millions of sprites. Superior 2D.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Those Intellivision wheel controllers were perfect for Burgertime. That game was unplayable on the NES. And what's with all the complaining about the controller anyway? It's not like they'll realistically be competing with PS and XBox. Just because those consoles have identical controllers, doesn't mean every console has to follow suit. Heck, even the Switch Pro controller has the same button layout. Another company dares to do something different, and some people just have to crap all over them. I wish them luck with this thing, but it sure looks like it'll be an uphill battle.

Now all we need is a new console that uses the paddle controllers. Still the only way to play Kaboom. They slap that game on every Activision comp that comes down the pike, but it is unplayable with anything other than the paddle controller.

I'd buy a new console that used paddle and wheel, and trakc-ball, and other long forgotten controllers that you could play ports of classic arcade games on a modern tv. It doesn't look like this Intellivision thing will be that though, sadly. Video games used to be so creative and innovative back in the 70s/80s. Now that corporations rule the roost, we get the same couple styles of game over and over. There's been very little evolution in game design since the late 90s. Sure, graphics and size have grown exponentially, but I think Doom and Wolf3D are just as much fun to play as all the latest and greatest FPS that flood the market.

Didn't mean for my post to detour so much, whoops. Good luck to this new Intellivision Amico project. Godspeed, fellas.
    I'm sure it will be good for some games. I just can't see an entire console designed around such an unusual controller. It would be better as an accessory. Consoles have converged on similar controller layouts because that's what works. This is like the Wii U all over again where all the focus is on the controller but I don't see any games that actually need it.

I hope they at least make the controller function as a standalone device with a media player and bluetooth audio. Then you can still use it for something when you get tired of the Breakout and Pong clones.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    My brother and I played Burgertime on the Intellivision controller, at the National Videogame Museum, and we both agreed that the console's controller was crap.
    On Burgertime?! Wow. Now I admit that the Intellivision controller was not good. It was ergonomically awkward, looked like a phone, and that disc control was not good for most games. But on Burgertime, I found that it worked to perfection. When your cook guy approaches a platform that you want him to disembark the ladder from, you can begin to slide the disc in that direction and he will smoothly follow your command. Try the NES version sometime. When you approach the platform, you can't hold the angle you want him to go. In fact, you can't press any direction until he is exactly in line with the platform on which you want him to move. Otherwise, he just stops dead in his tracks. You have to time your pressing of the d-pad perfectly with no margin for error. And when the enemies are up your butt, this is a problem. With the Intellivision disc, you can begin to adjust the direction disc in preparation of the platform. It's very intuitive.

That said, that is the only Intellivision game off the top of my head in which the disc pad is preferable to a d-pad. But I haven't played the console in ages.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Yeah, Im very familiar with turning the disc to move. My neighbor had the console and Donkey Kong. You had to time the turn just right, or your character would just stop, because you didnt time it right. Yeah, Id imagine it would work great with a little practice, but for pick up n play, not so much.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    On Burgertime?! Wow. Now I admit that the Intellivision controller was not good. It was ergonomically awkward, looked like a phone, and that disc control was not good for most games. But on Burgertime, I found that it worked to perfection. When your cook guy approaches a platform that you want him to disembark the ladder from, you can begin to slide the disc in that direction and he will smoothly follow your command. Try the NES version sometime. When you approach the platform, you can't hold the angle you want him to go. In fact, you can't press any direction until he is exactly in line with the platform on which you want him to move. Otherwise, he just stops dead in his tracks. You have to time your pressing of the d-pad perfectly with no margin for error. And when the enemies are up your butt, this is a problem. With the Intellivision disc, you can begin to adjust the direction disc in preparation of the platform. It's very intuitive.

That said, that is the only Intellivision game off the top of my head in which the disc pad is preferable to a d-pad. But I haven't played the console in ages.
    The Intellivision version of Burgertime is generally considered to be the best playing because of the extra time the programmer put into it. Instead of going for faithfulness he pinpoint what he saw as flaws in how the collision and control worked and made changes based on what he felt was best for Burgertime. His also being the main playtester helped in a big way.

I'm no Burgertime expert, so even if I try it with my modded Genesis pad, I won't be able to tell you how it compares to other versions.

But generally, what are now conventional d-pads work better for games made for that kind of controller. The Intellivision disc works great for games designed for it, keeping in mind that it isn't a regular 4-direction design with a disc on top. It actually has 16 independent directions.

I was disappointed when a new Intellivision successor was announced. I figured that there wasn't much point unless they were going to do something different, similar to how the original did bitd.

The more I've seen of the controller and been surprised by Tommy saying the right kinds of things, the more I've become convinced of the potential. But whether they actually pull it off or not, it could still succeeed or fail.

The Amico disc is not just a 64 direction update if the Intellivision disc. Not only is it raised instead of essentially recessed, the roller/dial aspect is what looks fun to me. Using a roller knob for Arkanoid, Astrosmash, Pang, Super Sprint, Forgotten Worlds, etc type games would be a lot of fun. Using one in each hand the way some Intellivision games support dual disc gameplay would work great. A version of Xenocrisis would be nice and it looks like they've alteady softened their hard stance on all games being original/exclusives.

I'm still waiting for the Xbox One to come down in price to buy one as a 4K movie player and for the Halo and GoW collections. I don't plan on buying or spending much of any time on new consoles any more.

So I'll wait until I get to try an Amico kiosk or something to judge it and even if it seems cool, likely won't get one for a while. Whether I like it or not, I'm glad that someone is putting out a different kind of console, because there isn't any reason to have more than one of the kind we're getting two or three of for the third generation in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Intellivision version of Burgertime is impressive. Much better than what the C64 got.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The Intellivision version of Burgertime is impressive. Much better than what the C64 got.
    Interesting. I really love Burgertime... color me intrigued.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods Bit Sized, Episode 4

WCPO Agent

That's interesting about Burgertime, never played the Intellivision version, I agree on the NES it's a frustrating experience. I wonder how a wheel would work with fighting games? Moves that require a quarter or half circle should be really easy to pull off.

If I was designing a controller with a wheel, I would start with something like the 3DS joystick but make it bigger, so it's analog but still almost flush with the plastic, then make the top part spinnable. That might be cool for games like Ikari Warriors, Forgotten Worlds, Heavy Barrel or Time Soldiers where you need to move and aim in all directions with only a single joystick. Plus with an analog stick you still have a more familiar sense of control for other games.
    Last edited by axel; 03-26-2020 at 02:28 AM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I've actually just asked for a refund on this. I'm starting to get a bad vibe that it's not going in quite thd direction it seemed to be. Having just watched Pat Contri's video (I'm not a big fan, those guys take things a bit seriously, which I find hard to take seriously when thay sit in a room full of toys! Also, that guy on the left gets on my nerves, he's just so snarky. That said, they do usually have good info and cut through bullshit quite well and help you make decisions) I decided to jump ship.

I'm a little sad about it though, it looked like a fairly decent prospect initially.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I've actually just asked for a refund on this. I'm starting to get a bad vibe that it's not going in quite thd direction it seemed to be. Having just watched Pat Contri's video (I'm not a big fan, those guys take things a bit seriously, which I find hard to take seriously when thay sit in a room full of toys! Also, that guy on the left gets on my nerves, he's just so snarky. That said, they do usually have good info and cut through bullshit quite well and help you make decisions) I decided to jump ship.

I'm a little sad about it though, it looked like a fairly decent prospect initially.
    Saw that one too. Pat is a smart guy when it comes to business. I agree with him there is almost no reason for this product to exist. A Switch JoyCon with a wheel would provide the same functionality. From the way Tommy described this thing I was expecting it to have a unique lineup of games but instead they're nearly identical to what you can already get on many other platforms. Didn't Tommy say at one point there would be no ports? What happened to that?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Yeah, this was promised to be a 2D machine with 2D visuals not possible elsewhere.
    Games were to be exclusive as they could not run on other hardware.

Then he shows a box with some MS Zunes attached to it playing steam trash and the games are 3D.

I keep getting YT videos suggested to me about "I canceled my Amico order and here is why". Not watched them but seeing them pop up.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Yeah, this was promised to be a 2D machine with 2D visuals not possible elsewhere.
    Games were to be exclusive as they could not run on other hardware.

Then he shows a box with some MS Zunes attached to it playing steam trash and the games are 3D.

I keep getting YT videos suggested to me about "I canceled my Amico order and here is why". Not watched them but seeing them pop up.
    In another video Tommy clarified it would not be more powerful than other consoles but the idea was to focus on local multiplayer gaming that wasn't being done elsewhere. I also remember hearing it would be 2D only.

At the price point we should have known this would be impossible. A $7 game that can't be ported elsewhere is not going to have AAA quality or tons of pixel art. So of course they all look like mobile games. A used Wii with a bunch of games is a better deal for $200.

I got my refund with no issues. I'm a little sad, because the console looks nice, as a machine on a shelf I mean, and I would have liked it in the lineup.

It's a shame that it's really strayed from the original concept, that might have been quite a thing. I get the impression it started out as a noble endeavour, but the conclusion that it was a big ask and too much to carry through soon became apparent to the devs and they just had to go the easy route. Nevermind.

I just got that Ouya vibe and had to jump ship.

It's pretty hard to have a console with exclusive titles these days, unless a company has a ton of in-house development. Even MS struggles with having that.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I got my refund with no issues. I'm a little sad, because the console looks nice, as a machine on a shelf I mean, and I would have liked it in the lineup.

It's a shame that it's really strayed from the original concept, that might have been quite a thing. I get the impression it started out as a noble endeavour, but the conclusion that it was a big ask and too much to carry through soon became apparent to the devs and they just had to go the easy route. Nevermind.

I just got that Ouya vibe and had to jump ship.
    At least you got your money back.

I get the impression this is Tommy Tallarico's vanity project, he's probably dreamed of building his own console and now he can finally do it. I can't blame him I'd totally do the same thing if I had the opportunity. Maybe I'll buy one used when they're selling for $50, especially if the controllers can be hacked for use as media players. Do they have a headphone jack or Bluetooth? That's all they'd need.

That's not a bad idea, I'm not too sure though.

Thread Information