Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intellivision Amico Console announced - Hundreds of millions of sprites. Superior 2D.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

They already said it isnt PC-based

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    They all claim to be custom then we find out they borrowed some off the shelf PCB board or capture card and pretend it's prototype hardware.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    No 10 yo kid is going to give a fiddlers fuck about this system, they'll be too busy playing Fortnite or whatever latest fad game on their parents iphone or Xbox/Playstation/Switch. Insta fail!
    I imagine it's more to do about older people who want to play something non-violent. It's honestly kind of sad how ratings are directly tied to whether a game is violent and/or sexual (and gives the impression that games without that are only meant for kids, despite many adults who would prefer to avoid that kind of content too).

Mind you, I can see a zillion of reasons why this thing will probably fail, I just don't think this is one of them.

PS: also mind you that for kids everything is new. If they hear something can play games they'll pick it up no matter how stupid it is because as far as they're aware it's still a new thing to try. I met a 9yo kid who wanted to play with an Atari XE/GS that happened to show up at the house because it had a lightgun and she wanted to try playing with it. And the kids there seemed more interested on playing Flintstones on my Mega Drive than the games on the PS3 at that place too.

The Intellivision was my 1st ever console and still have it today. I'm guessing this talk of millions of sprites is just clever PR.
    The DC was just a 3D console and that pushed out some of the best 2D I've seen, never mind the amazing 2D games were seen this and last gen. It would be nice to see a system out there with dedicated 2D hardware and a focus on 2D games . If they could get the rights to RAIZING shooters, it would make it a must own
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

This is clearly a nostalgia fishing trip. I can't predict its success level, but the games for it had better damned well be fun, or it'll die ugly.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Amico... now with blast processing

Seems like a solid concept, but at that price point, I just don't know if there's an audience for it. Plus 2 years out? Really?

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post

All they've said is that it has "21st century 2D chip and architecture".

Where have they stated clearly that this system is not either PC based? Or ARM smart phone based for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I imagine it's more to do about older people who want to play something non-violent. It's honestly kind of sad how ratings are directly tied to whether a game is violent and/or sexual (and gives the impression that games without that are only meant for kids, despite many adults who would prefer to avoid that kind of content too).

Mind you, I can see a zillion of reasons why this thing will probably fail, I just don't think this is one of them.
    Yeah I totally get the your point about adults wanting non-violent games and agree with it. I'm just not seeing anything that this system is going to do that can't already be done on XBONE/PS4/SWITCH etc.

Where is the unique selling point of this system? Need to be more than just L33t 2D!!!! Hardware is useless without great games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    PS: also mind you that for kids everything is new. If they hear something can play games they'll pick it up no matter how stupid it is because as far as they're aware it's still a new thing to try. I met a 9yo kid who wanted to play with an Atari XE/GS that happened to show up at the house because it had a lightgun and she wanted to try playing with it. And the kids there seemed more interested on playing Flintstones on my Mega Drive than the games on the PS3 at that place too.
    Yeah my son thinks the NES and Super Mario Bros are the greatest thing ever, mostly because he's watched a couple of Youtube videos saying as much. Some kids like the old stuff. All I'm saying is that they are going to need something pretty special to push past the pull of existing systems, especially at the price they are supposedly launching at.

This thing has the same stink as the AtariBox and that epic fail Coleco thing. A cynical cash in fueled by retro nostalgia.
    Last edited by stu; 10-23-2018 at 02:57 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvEkBGUxWDE
    In depth interview with Tommy Tallarico.
    Basically this is for the non-gamer/mobile crowd, people that used to like the wii.

WCPO Agent

I can't see this getting many games. Between the unusual-sounding architecture, prohibition on ports and fixed pricing, how many developers will want to take a risk on this? Actually I can't think of a single console that launched without any ports. If they relax the rules a little I think it would have a much better chance at success.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Like any developer who wants to take themselves seriously wants to support another Wii. This thing will get little to nothing. I can see a new generation of Bible games coming to it.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Looks like a George Foreman grill with 2 4GB iPods for controllers. That's not exactly appealing for getting the 2D masses excited.

I think that are many rpi consoles to be released. Maybe the market can be saturated.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ1984 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvEkBGUxWDE
    In depth interview with Tommy Tallarico.
    Basically this is for the non-gamer/mobile crowd, people that used to like the wii.
    Thank you for posting that, one of the best interviews I have seen from a console designer.
    I'm still not totally sold on the idea but this guy knows what he is doing, it wasn't created by some schmuck who thinks it will have better 2D than the PS5 lol.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I was dubious 100% until watching that interview. I am curious about this, if it looks good I might get one; £150ish is not a big drop if there are even three good games that are not available elsewhere.
    Last edited by cleeg; 11-05-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Thread Information