Quantcast

Thread: Top 10 Best Selling Saturn Games in the U.S. (dollar sales)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Default Top 10 Best Selling Saturn Games in the U.S. (dollar sales)

1. Madden NFL 97
    2. NiGHTS
    3. Virtua Fighter 2
    4. Daytona USA
    5. Virtua Cop
    6. Tomb Raider
    7. Sega Rally Championship
    8. Sonic 3D Blast
    9. World Series Baseball
    10. Panzer Dragoon

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/st...35806894272512

Pretty revealing about the state of the Saturn in the U.S.

The only SOA-produced game is Sonic 3D Blast, a Genesis port. There's no sign of the sports titles that Sega profited so much off of during the Genesis era (World Series Baseball is a Japanese title). The number one best seller is a 3rd party multi-platform football game.

NiGHTS is surprisingly high, given that people usually call it a niche title without mass appeal.

Note that since this is based on dollar sales, I would assume that pack-ins are not included.

Thoughts?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

I had no clue that NFL 97 was the top selling game here.. odd

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I think that pack-in sales must be included, since half of them were pack-ins and during the early launch in Canada Panzer Dragoon was part of a bundle at a major store chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

No surprise about Madden really given it was Madden and also a stunning 32Bit update to the game and brilliantly ported to the Saturn. I was very shocked to see no Bug there, I thought that was one of the better sellers in the USA. Other than that that a nice list of games tbh.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I think that pack-in sales must be included, since half of them were pack-ins and during the early launch in Canada Panzer Dragoon was part of a bundle at a major store chain.
    From what I've read elsewhere (resetera/neogaf?), supposedly none of these games sold more than 500,000 copies. The 3 Free Games deal (Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA) sold a lot more than that, so I'm thinking pack-ins aren't included. Otherwise I imagine they'd be at the top. I also don't know how you'd calculate dollar value based on the 3 Free Games deal (they're technically "free").

That said, I have no idea how NDP calculated these numbers or how accurate they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    No surprise about Madden really given it was Madden and also a stunning 32Bit update to the game and brilliantly ported to the Saturn. I was very shocked to see no Bug there, I thought that was one of the better sellers in the USA. Other than that that a nice list of games tbh.
    I think the stunning thing is that the Saturn's best-selling title is a 3rd-party game that was released on practically every platform available. I think it's very rare for that to happen. Has it ever happened before for a major console?

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Saturn

NiGHTS came with the controller so that makes sense. Wii Play sold a bunch mainly because it came with a controller in the US for the price of a game. I only remember because I worked as a manager for Gamestop at the time. NiGHTS with the controller if I recall correctly was like 60-70 bucks and the controller on its own was $40? Pretty good deal.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post

I think the stunning thing is that the Saturn's best-selling title is a 3rd-party game that was released on practically every platform available. I think it's very rare for that to happen. Has it ever happened before for a major console?
    Well I would imagine one of the GTA or Call Of Duty games would figure tbh. I thought Madden 97 was utterly brilliant myself and Tiburon did wonders with the Saturn port

I have no idea how NDP calculated these numbers or how accurate they are
    Well I always remember in the Dreamcast Technical pages days, people would always point out NDP never used sales in the likes of Walmart when talking about OG XBox sales.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Well I would imagine one of the GTA or Call Of Duty games would figure tbh.
    I think you're right about GTA - at least on PS2.

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

No surprise about Madden really given it was Madden and also a stunning 32Bit update to the game and brilliantly ported to the Saturn.
    Agreed. I find Madden 97 on Saturn to be very fun. It is sprite-based, and comes across like a supercharged Genesis port with lots of A/V upgrades, not a busted early-3D low-frame rate polygonal mess!

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    From what I've read elsewhere (resetera/neogaf?), supposedly none of these games sold more than 500,000 copies. The 3 Free Games deal (Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA) sold a lot more than that, so I'm thinking pack-ins aren't included. Otherwise I imagine they'd be at the top. I also don't know how you'd calculate dollar value based on the 3 Free Games deal (they're technically "free").

That said, I have no idea how NDP calculated these numbers or how accurate they are.

That 3 pack of games was sold at some stores. I can't say for sure if it was sanctioned.

But I didn't see many full retail copies of those games around during the life of the Saturn, after they were no longer new/current titles.

It could just be that they sold most of them early on and the sales were some of the best because they overprinted them and there was enough supply for demand.

Lots of Saturn games weren't available at every store that carried Saturn games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Game Peddler and one Toys R Us in my area even carried Saturn games. Oddly Software etc quit carrying Saturn games but still had a small section for Game Gear.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Agreed. I find Madden 97 on Saturn to be very fun. It is sprite-based, and comes across like a supercharged Genesis port with lots of A/V upgrades, not a busted early-3D low-frame rate polygonal mess!
    NFL Gameday did it right. Madden was a big disappointment after playing the 1st Gameday.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Game Peddler and one Toys R Us in my area even carried Saturn games. Oddly Software etc quit carrying Saturn games but still had a small section for Game Gear.
    Toys Rí Us was one of the store chains that got the early launch Saturn. I got my launch launch Saturn from a Toys Rí Us. I was quite shocked when I saw it at retail in May of 1995. That same TRU would also carry Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers, and would later have those titles discounted to $20.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    It was and still is a totally brilliant game. The use of sprite and polygons meant the speed was there, I loved how this game was one of the 1st Sports games to model all the stadiums accurately and then you had the stunning EA presentation with Madden, Pat and Brown which was just exceptional at the time and add in 8 player support. It was just a amazing sports games with tons and tons of playability (which was crazy fun back at the time) . I also loved the Q sound effects used on stuff like the umpire's call
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information