Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How thrifty are you?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Default How thrifty are you?

If you like going to thrift stores (for not only video games but other sorts of goodies) how often do you go and how many stores do you hit?

I generally go every Thursday and go to about a dozen stores - there are a few others I only go to occasionally since they never seem to have much.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

On average, I hit up a store every day. My job requires me to drive all over town, which gives me access to dozens of Goodwills and music stores carrying used games.

I'm very cheap, so I thrift quite a bit.

Love half-off Mondays.

A helpful hint if you don't know it - you can replace the multi disc PS1 jewel cases pretty easily if you look in the audio book section (all of the thrift stores have them separate from the cds in my neck of the woods) - same cases (although you might have to shift some of the cover inserts around to get what you want).

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I'm somewhere between frugal and cheap bastard.

There is a wildlife charity shop near me that I go to about once or twice a week. Each day a different type if item is half of. Thursdays electronics, Sunday cloths, etc. I'm not proud to admit that I've lost out on items that I actually really wanted because I waited until it would be half off.

A good chunk of my cloths are from thrift stores, especially blue jeans which are usually expensive new. I find a lot of interesting shirts too. I won't wear thrift store underwear or socks though. The line gets drawn there.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I used to hit thrift stores every week, looking for retro games. But now I own most of what I want, and the thrift stores rarely have anything good anyway. So, I haven't hit a Goodwill for at least 2 or 3 years. There is a lot more to find here in western PA at specialty games/dvd/toy shops like Wild n Woolies, Game Again, and the Exchange.

I would have stopped long ago if was just looking for video games - but I look for a lot of other things I collect so I usually find something. And I just like going out and about by myself once a week.

Very thrifty, very thrifty indeed!

I look around.

Often go to a local independent one opposite a supermarket once a week and got some stuff there, books are decently priced too but I don't get them for myself. One time they had some Star Wars Gamecube games and got them cheaper than the big used games/DVD store, even Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 on the 360 was cheap but at the moment, the stock as been a bit weak for me.

The major problem is that where I come from, there aren't really thrift stores but rather charity shops due to culture differences and that's where the difference ends. Unlike local and small ones, most of the big ones that have online stores, eBay accounts and have professional evaluations or look online at the value of stuff, at least common things so they are not cheap unlike the past. There are also a lot more big ones than independent charity stores. In terms of games, DVDs and books as in the main things that they sell they are very hit and miss and in many cases overpriced for what they are because they charge minimum Amazon price for old books, 4 times as much on blooming sports games and PC games (that might not work) than some places plus whose to say that they go to charity anyway rather to their advertising fund... British Heart Foundation most of the time is the really overpriced one.

The last bargain that I got were 2 Macross DVDs where it was part of the discount section (and even had to point out calmly otherwise it would have been more). Now Macross never got any DVDs where I come from apart from Macross Plus so they are Region 1, looked it up online and turn out to be expensive and rare as some anime series are. Haven't see it yet but will watch them if I can/have time. That was plain luck since we rarely get any anime DVDs.

It's not just charity stores but also look around car boots (flea markets). Car boots are just as bad, overcharging for a 5-10 year old 360 FIFA game, resellers that have the same stock all the time and comparing/praising eBay. Sometimes you do okay with just one game but anything older than PS2 (sometimes PS1), you rarely see and if you do its that copy of FIFA 95. For experience, been to car boots for a large portion of my life and only seen one Dreamcast game that I happened to pick up. When I was a kid, I saw plenty of Mega Drive games at car boots usually the common games (e.g. Sonic, EA stuff) but now nope. You rarely see Nintendo stuff and if it is, its the female target audience games on the Wii or DS. Did get a few good season Simpsons box sets for a low price in good condition but you rarely see boxsets that aren't the usual 24 or Friends. Most of the time, it is just DVD movies that no one wants or junk, literally junk like broken cables or TV remotes from 20 years ago that are in landfills now. Oh and car boots also sell copies too, old DVDs in VCD/back of a cinema quality or PS2/Xbox/Wii games that won't work.

Probably spend more time in used game/DVD stores on the grounds of selection. Plus side is often cheaper than charity stores, sometimes even cheaper than Amazon/other retail places. For many consoles, they are your only way of buying them outside of online similar thing for DVD boxsets and anime. The only downside is that you can't always look at condition and outside of cartridges and Blu-rays most of the time, you don't know if they are scratchless/minimal scratches or don't work due to way too many scratches. It really depends on people and how they looked after it.

Oh and your advice doesn't work on PAL PS1 games due to different design, same thing for PAL Dreamcast games as well the latter a cup is sturdier than DC cases.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

^ I take it your from the UK as well, Furnessly. What you wrote matches my experiences exactly.

I volunteered in British Heart Foundation and they had all their good stuff e.g. games, consoles, blu rays, etc in the back, which was reserved for their Ebay account. The days of getting a deal are long gone over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Furnessly View Post

Oh and your advice doesn't work on PAL PS1 games due to different design, same thing for PAL Dreamcast games as well the latter a cup is sturdier than DC cases.

That's what you get for living in a foreign country. (Silly English kaniggets and what not.) ^___^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of our thrift stores claim a charity status (for various governmental advantages) but they are basically a scam with basically phony charities they control.

Even with stuff I do find you have to go through a lot of crap to find anything decent. And pricing is wildly erratic - it used to be the thrift stores had set prices for various things such cds, dvds, books whatnot. Those days are long gone. Everything is individually priced and the employees are encouraged to put the highest prices on things.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I hit up thrift stores all the time. I'm into all sorts of random media and knicknacks, so those are always places I like to check out. I prefer to check the places that keep everything local as the Goodwills around here generally don't have anything good (at least for reasonable prices). To continue the talk of the wildly erratic pricing, something that just popped back into my head was when I saw an original Xbox controller without the adapter to actually plug it into the console for 10 bucks while a DS Lite was right next to it for four.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I volunteered in British Heart Foundation and they had all their good stuff e.g. games, consoles, blu rays, etc in the back, which was reserved for their Ebay account. The days of getting a deal are long gone over here.
    I stopped donating to stores years ago because of that. I used to donate my old toys (most of which still had the original boxes) and old books because I genuinely believed that I was helping some poor family by letting them buy cheap, well looked after stuff. My girlfriend (who used to work in such a shop) told me what most stores are doing now, she even said that where she worked most of the good stuff was being taken by the staff.

I was done with it for good when I went to a new place that opened up near me and every time I found something nice I was told that they couldn't sell it to me because they already had an agreement to sell it to a local dealer. For example, I tried to buy a Gamecube but was told that "The games stuff goes to someone we know". Then I saw my friend get shoved out of the way of some golf clubs (yes, literally shoved) because the store had an agreement to sell all the golf clubs to this one guy they dealt with.

And so I'm done with those kinds of stores, the only people benefiting are the greedy staff members who pick out the good stuff for themselves, and the overpaid executive at the top of the organization. I don't even put clothes in the clothes banks anymore.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

What's up with the defeatist attitude here? Game hunting fails only serve to make the success stories all the sweeter.

Here's some highlights of this year from various California Goodwills:

*A stack of CIB PS2 & PS3 games including the entire Devil May Cry and Uncharted series for $1.50 each

*CIB Zelda II: Adventure of Link for $15.00

*Nintendo 3DS system (purple) for $15.20

*Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition for GameCube (CIB) - $20.00

*Stack of CIB PSP games with Final Fantasy Tactics, MGS Peace Walker, and Monster Hunter Freedom for $3.19 each

*CIB Mario Party 6 for GameCube - $3.19

*2 PS3 Controllers (Black and Camo) for $4.00 each

The deals are out there, guys. If you want the gold, you gotta mine a little.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

The taxi cab ride out to the nearest DI/Thrift Store and back plus the game would cost more than it would be to get it on Ebay. So meh.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information