Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Console Wars TV Series Announced

  1. #16
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,347
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    I love the Console Wars YouTube channel lol. They're so relatable, like just a couple nice guys who like 16-bit games. And their dialogue is legit funny.

    I haven't read the Console Wars book because the inaccurate premise is enough to turn me off. It reminds me of those historical fiction books, like what's the point lol when there are real historical books.

  2. #17
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Romanticized tellings of historical facts and peoples have always been more or less inaccurate long before the Bible lol. I mean, it didn't turn me off from all those inaccurate (including some Oscar-worthy) movies from the past decade depicting historial figures or from inaccurate, but good, series like Narcos, for instance. If the series is good I will enjoy it. When it comes to books/movies/tv series, unless it is a documentary, if it is good it is good and accuracy is a secondary concern.

    I'm a big F1 fan and one of my favourite movies is Rush, despite it being filled with wrong facts and a lot of bullshit, if you know the real history. But it is still fun to watch.

  3. #18
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygrunt View Post
    Romanticized tellings of historical facts and peoples have always been more or less inaccurate long before the Bible lol. I mean, it didn't turn me off from all those inaccurate (including some Oscar-worthy) movies from the past decade depicting historial figures or from inaccurate, but good, series like Narcos, for instance. If the series is good I will enjoy it. When it comes to books/movies/tv series, unless it is a documentary, if it is good it is good and accuracy is a secondary concern.

    I'm a big F1 fan and one of my favourite movies is Rush, despite it being filled with wrong facts and a lot of bullshit, if you know the real history. But it is still fun to watch.
    Well, when the inaccuracies are harmless, I don't see that it matters. But when those inaccuracies put down and discredit people who deserve at least some respect, and credit others for their accomplishments, I can't help but feel that something should be said.

    But as I said in the first post, I'm really hoping this TV series will bring forward people to point out its inaccuracies.

  4. #19
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    In a nutshell, there is a lot of shifting of credit for Sega's achievements and blame for its missteps.

    Two particularly egregious examples, although there are many more:

    1) Kalinske is portrayed as fixing the design of Sonic. The book states that upon beginning work at Sega, Kalinske is shown a horrendous "goth" Sonic with a collar, spikes, and fangs, and he applies his toy industry know-how to correct this into something that will actually sell. The Japanese Sonic designers are portrayed as whiners who don't know anything. In reality, there is ample evidence (e.g. the prototype) that Sonic was in his final state of design more than six months before Kalinske was hired. No evidence of a goth Sonic has ever been found. Many people have tried to take credit for Sonic in the past, but it's really a stretch of the imagination to believe that Kalinske had anything to do with it (given, he likely had input on the background story of Sonic, which ended up being drastically different in the US and in Japan).

    2) The 32X is portrayed as being forced on SOA by SOJ. In reality, the 32X was a compromise between SOA and SOJ. SOA had requested a way to extend the life of the Genesis into the 32-bit generation due to the huge user base and the fear that the Saturn would be too expensive. In response, SOJ made a design for an enhanced Genesis. SOA didn't like this and was given permission to design an add-on system, the 32X. Everybody was initially optimistic about the 32X. If you want to read more about this, check out the extensive quotes in Collected Works and also Retro Gamer magazine.

    If it were just these two things, you might call this nitpicking, but really, the entire book is guilty of it.

    The book ultimately wants to tell a simple narrative: a David (SOA) vs Goliath (Nintendo) story, but David is stabbed in the back by a traitor (SOJ). It takes a lot of shortcuts to get to that narrative.
    That Goth Sonic bullshit story sounds horrible. The recently-translated interview on shmuplation shows some early designs that match what is said in the interview, which is obviously completely different, and to anyone familiar with the Sega aesthetic at the time, that's a pretty ridiculous assertion. That SOJ weren't as adept at business as SOA at that time is clearly true, but what made Sega great, by and large, is the talent of its Japanese game designers and R & D departments. So to try and steal the credit from the Japanese character designer and act like the big American business man knew all about video games is messed up. It's also silly to act as if SOJ saboted SOA on purpose. They just didn't know much about the home market, coming from the arcade market, and made a lot of beginner's mistakes when there wasn't any blueprint for how things should be done.

  5. #20
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Well, when the inaccuracies are harmless, I don't see that it matters. But when those inaccuracies put down and discredit people who deserve at least some respect, and credit others for their accomplishments, I can't help but feel that something should be said.

    But as I said in the first post, I'm really hoping this TV series will bring forward people to point out its inaccuracies.
    Pointing out inaccuracies is fine and natural. But dismissing a work because of inaccuracies when being accurate wasn't its aim may cause people to miss a good show.

    But anyway the chances of a show being good on Netflix are not very high. For every good one they create 10 others that are garbage lol

  6. #21
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygrunt View Post
    Pointing out inaccuracies is fine and natural. But dismissing a work because of inaccuracies when being accurate wasn't its aim may cause people to miss a good show.

    But anyway the chances of a show being good on Netflix are not very high. For every good one they create 10 others that are garbage lol
    Harris has defended the accuracy of the book, so I don't know why you're saying being accurate wasn't its aim. It is being sold as an accurate history told in dramatized format.

    Regardless of that, it goes against a lot of what this community and others have done to gain recognition for the many people that were involved, and deserve credit, for the success and popularity of early gaming. So I hope you can understand why it might receive a negative reaction from those people, despite making good entertainment.

  7. #22
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Harris has defended the accuracy of the book, so I don't know why you're saying being accurate wasn't its aim. It is being sold as an accurate history told in dramatized format.
    That's dumb of him. In the moment he decided to dramatize it, he gave up accuracy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Regardless of that, it goes against a lot of what this community and others have done to gain recognition for the many people that were involved, and deserve credit, for the success and popularity of early gaming. So I hope you can understand why it might receive a negative reaction from those people, despite making good entertainment.
    I understand it, but I don't necessarily agree. Like I said, take the Rush movie as example. Niki Lauda is one of the greatest drivers of all time and his history is very well known and documented for F1 fans. The movie makes him look petty in several moments, because the point of the movie is showing James Hunt the hero. The movie is still great, even if it is unfair with one of F1's greatest legends. It is the same for every drama based on real facts amd I won't judge something differently because it is about Sega. Documentaries exist for accuracy, and they must show their sources of information.

  8. #23
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,696
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygrunt View Post
    But anyway the chances of a show being good on Netflix are not very high. For every good one they create 10 others that are garbage lol
    That's called Sturgeon's Law.

  9. #24
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    In a nutshell, there is a lot of shifting of credit for Sega's achievements and blame for its missteps.

    Two particularly egregious examples, although there are many more:
    This post does a great job of giving two examples of verifiable and easily-refuted stories that were dreamed up to make Kalinske a protagonist. It's a story first, and it happens to be based on historical events. The disclaimer is a cop-out used by Blake J Harris to give him license to make up whatever he (and apparently Kalinske, since he was interviewed for the book) wanted. SOJ wasn't perfect, but this book makes SOA out to be totally innocent. It wasn't.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •