Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad game names.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Meh Bad game names.

Not pertaining to the quality of the games themselves. Just a topic for bad video game names.

Paprium.
    -Nothing
    Seriously? Like really? Paprika? Pap smear? What a terrible name.

Fast Racing/Neo/RmX-Wii/Wii U/NS

Great racing games but could you get more generic?

Horizon Zero Dawn.-PS4

Is this a racing game? Oh no, it's a big open world Epic with that name...um..ok.

ET Go Come.-Atari 2600

What else can I say?

Touch Dic-DS

I will not.

Sticky Balls
    -Gizmondo

Plenty more out there.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Horizon: Zero Dawn sounds aptly named. I picture a moment of war when I hear that name.

The Japanese names for some games is just really weird. I don't get how they think that something like Doki Doki Panic sounds like a good name for anything.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Egg (PS1 game). It's about as weird as it's obscure.

Also a console rather than a game: Power Base. For those who aren't aware, that's the actual name of the Master System in the US (hence Power Base Converter). Master System was the name of one of the bundles (console + gun + two games), while there was also Base System (just the console) and 3D System (with bundled 3D glasses). I think it says something that Master System became the proper name when exported to other countries…

Master of Shinobi

6 Inch My Darling
    Blackhole Assault

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Egg (PS1 game). It's about as weird as it's obscure.

Also a console rather than a game: Power Base. For those who aren't aware, that's the actual name of the Master System in the US (hence Power Base Converter). Master System was the name of one of the bundles (console + gun + two games), while there was also Base System (just the console) and 3D System (with bundled 3D glasses). I think it says something that Master System became the proper name when exported to other countries…
    There was a Dreamcast game called EGG. It was short for Elemental Gimmick Gear.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

One of my Faves on the system is E.G.G.

Cock'in-C64
    Revengers of Vengence-SCD
    Nuts & Milk-NES
    Wild Woody-SCD

Crusader of Centy
    What's a Centy? What a dumb name.

Story of Thor
    Arabian setting with a main character called Ali. Makes sense.

Puggsy
    How to name your game so it doesn't sell.

Lightening Force
    Renaming a title in a popular series wasn't enough, you had to give a name with a freaking typo in it.

Chicky Chicky Boys
    Sounds like a game about doing pranks.

Paprium
    Seriously, what the heck?

SNES game titles > Genesis game titles

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    There was a Dreamcast game called EGG. It was short for Elemental Gimmick Gear.
    There was also one called LOL (Lack of Love).

Lightening Force
    Renaming a title in a popular series wasn't enough, you had to give a name with a freaking typo in it.
    Lightening is the present participle of the verb "to lighten". So not a typo by itself, although it is in the context.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training The Reverend 330 Mega's Avatar

The Earth Dies Screaming -Atari 2600
    Bobby is Going Home -Atari 2600

Any Nintendo 64 or SNES game with "64" or "Super" in the title. The biggest offender being Super Castlevania IV. Couldn't they have just gone with Castlevania IV?
    Last edited by The Reverend 330 Mega; 12-01-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    * Jigen has joined #neo-geo
    * ChanServ sets mode: +a Jigen
    <BonusBot> [Jigen] <Double up or quit, Devils take a split! The Ace of Spades!>

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Agree with Lightening Force. Clumsy to pronounce, but as Kamahl mentions the stupidest thing about it is it's meant to be Thunder Force IV.

Wings of Wor(Genesis): Called Gynoug in Japan and Europe, another case of stupid renaming. The main sprite's name is Wor! and he has Wings! Lol

Ketsui Deathtiny(PS4): M2's latest CAVE port has an unusually silly sounding title IMO.

Death Smiles(Arcade/360): Speaking of CAVE, I always thought this one sounded stupid.

Vroom(Amiga/ST): Sounds like a kid's game. Doesn't do it justice at all.

I'm sure I'll think of some more. On the subject of Japanese game names though: I think most of them end up being accidently awesome in spite of themselves. Eliminate Down? Melty Blood? I mean you can't make this stuff up.

Oh, and seconding Paprium. In the Combook it lists a bunch of alternative names that didn't make it, two thirds of which are better than what it ended up with

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Lightening is the present participle of the verb "to lighten". So not a typo by itself, although it is in the context.
    I know it is a word, but they clearly meant Lightning.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Lady Stalker, the not-really-sequel to Landstalker by Climax on the SFC.

That one sounds wrong even in Japanese.

Master of Shinobi

Why is Granada called Granada?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

I love how we're implicitly using bold to mark the names we're shaming.

Adding to the list: Tuff E Nuff (tuff e nuff said :​v)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Crusader of Centy
    What's a Centy? What a dumb name.
    It's the name of the town you start on in that version… Better question is why didn't they leave it as Ragnacenty instead (which is the town's name in Japan and Korea, and yes, those versions are named after the town too)

I'd argue Soleil is even worse. At least Crusader of Centy gives you a loose idea of the mood of the game (going on an adventure while fighting with swords :​D), but Soleil does neither that nor its pronunciation has any real impact to make you want to look at it (unlike Ragnacenty).
    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Why is Granada called Granada?
    It reminds me of a military setting (maybe because it means "grenade" in Spanish) so I guess it barely works…

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Everything is wrong with this title. Not New anymore if this branch of the series is 12 years old. U as in Wii U *shudder* and Deluxe. Is this Nintendo trying to do its own spin on Capcom naming? At least Capcoms were so bad they were great. Super, Hyper, Turbo Alpha whatever. U Deluxe and New?

You know what fuck it. Nintendo loves to slap "New" on things. It's lame. I don't mind Super Nintendo's naming gimmick. Super Mario World, Super Metroid and such. Works for those but yeah doesn't work for Castlevania. Mario 64 it sorta works. Doesn't work for Starfox and just about everything else. So going to agree. Shocked Nintendo didn't call Mario Sunshine Super Mario Cubed.

There is one game on PS3 some may not know preceded Rocket League and it's no wonder it never sold.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars Just rolls right off the tongue. it's no wonder they simplified it for the sequel.

Thread Information