Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SEGA-16. 2018 is about over. What's your GOTY's?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I don't like Blood Dragon.

Far Cry 5 is so much better than the previous titles. You can jump in a plane, fly over a compound and destroy everything with a volley of rockets and bullets. You can chase down a convoy and pick it apart while in a helicopter. You can locate cult plane and shoot it out of the sky. It's one big sand box of things to do.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

"fly over a compound and destroy everything with a volley of rockets and bullets" This sounds like what I like to do in a Battlefield game.

I do have much more interest in 5 than 4 in fact I may never play 4. But liked Blood Dragon and hell yeah the theme music is awesome! Blood Dragon was my first Far Cry romp and because I liked it so much I got 3 went nuts and achieved a platinum trophy in just 9 days and ha-ha I just couldn't stop I still played after 100% with everything that could be done and than did it again also 3's intro music was great too. 2 was okay didn't like it as much.

I wonder how New Drawn will be?
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 12-09-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

God of War (4)

I just picked up GOW 4 last week. I'm trying to finish the 1st Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360) before I start to play that.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    "fly over a compound and destroy everything with a volley of rockets and bullets" This sounds like what I like to do in a Battlefield game.

I do have much more interest in 5 than 4 in fact I may never play 4. But liked Blood Dragon and hell yeah the theme music is awesome! Blood Dragon was my first Far Cry romp and because I liked it so much I got 3 went nuts and achieved a platinum trophy in just 9 days and ha-ha I just couldn't stop I still played after 100% with everything that could be done and than did it again also 3's intro music was great too. 2 was okay didn't like it as much.

I wonder how New Drawn will be?
    The only console version (PS4) of Far Cry that I have is Primal. It was just okay. I tried going back to play a new game of Far Cry 4, after finishing 5 and I just sort of stopped playing. The PC version of Far Cry 5 got an updated texture pack and I must say that everything just has more pop to it now.

New Drawn could be interesting, considering how FC5 ended. It's ending was quite shocking, to say the least.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-09-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

i might say spiderman is my GOTY, i wish the pacing was a little better but so far ive enjoyed the hell out of it. RDR2 might be a close second but i haven't played GOW4 so who knows.

My top games of the year would be

01 - Astrobot

02 - Tomb Raider

03 - God Of War

04 - F1 2018

05 - Far Cry 5

06 - Fist Of the North Star

07 - Forza Horizon 4

08 - Destiny 2

09 - Monster Hunter World
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-10-2018 at 06:06 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

You have Far Cry 5 on your list twice.

Last year's Cuphead, I guess...
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Sonic Mania Plus, I bought the physical release for PS4 in 2018 and played it through with several characters, and I'm still exploring and enjoying this fine redux of 2D Sonic gameplay. It really is like experiencing an imagined Sega Saturn 2D sequel in many ways, but with better resolution and animation than what 1996 offered. It's amazing this game exists and it's so cheap, thanks Mr. Whitehead and gang.

Spider-man PS4. What an experience! It's basically another web swinging beat'em up, but with such never before seen attention to graphical detail, and an entertaining storyline.

I'll have to think some more before I can comment on worthy retro experiences in 2018.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Rampart - Genesis
    Somehow I missed this game back in the day. I knew of it, and saw the arcade game around, and saw the NES game on the rental shop wall, but was apparently never intrigued enough to give it a whirl. Well, I picked up a copy of the Genesis port early in 2018 and put a ton of time into it. It's another strategy game, but in this one, defense is the name of the game. You create a fortress and build walls, and use your cannons to fight off an armada. The game goes in times rounds, and in between these rounds, you must hurriedly rebuild the walls protect your fortress as best you can. It's intense and addictive. When I play it, I feel similar to the way I do while playing Gain Ground.
    I've been mildly interested in this game for a while but have never pulled the trigger on it. This comment makes me much more interested in it though. Probably because I've had an itch to play some Gain Ground lately. Not sure if I should keep taking one-liners from forums so seriously though (nothing against you - it just appeared to me that random small quotes from forums stick in my head and make me more inclined to do things; please, no one manipulate me).

Well, the newest game I've played to completion this year is Bayonetta, so, that one? I played Rule of Rose for the first time earlier this year and really enjoyed it (despite a frustrating moment or two). That might have to be my game of the year.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Wild Guns Reloaded (PS4): This is how you handle a remake - by having original members of Natsume take care of business, not farming out a classic licence to some unknown/untested European dev house. Not having played the original game, I was blown away by this. Bring on Ninja Warriors Once Again, which looks to be lovingly recreated in the same way.

Nex Machina (PS4): I generally play shmups and don't give twin stick shooters much of a look in, but this game was an exception to the rule. Amazing graphics compliment some super-solid game play mechanics and level design, had a lot of fun with this one.

Dariusburst CS (PS4): Couldn't have wished for a better update to the legendary (at least in Japan) Darius series. The port of the arcade version would have been enough, but the new campaign mode adds tons more content, making DBCS the most feature laden port of any pure arcade game to date. Exceptional.

Raiden V Director's Cut (PS4): It's been slagged off in some circles, but those circles would be wrong. The new weapon variations are an audacious attempt at mixing up a pretty rigid formula, as are the special mission sections (exclusive to Director's Cut IIRC). The new dramatic symphonic OST is another deviation from the classic formula, and as much as I love classic Raiden music, I have to admit this is one hell of a soundtrack.

Gynoug (MD): Came for the grotesque body-horror bosses, stayed for the proto bullet hell patterns. The pacing runs a bit long in a way, but lots of 16-bit horizontal shooters did this so whatevs. Still think it's better than a lot of other MD horis, including the slick but perhaps slightly overrated Thunder Force III.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Wild Guns Reloaded (PS4): This is how you handle a remake - by having original members of Natsume take care of business, not farming out a classic licence to some unknown/untested European dev house. Not having played the original game, I was blown away by this. Bring on Ninja Warriors Once Again, which looks to be lovingly recreated in the same way.

Nex Machina (PS4): I generally play shmups and don't give twin stick shooters much of a look in, but this game was an exception to the rule. Amazing graphics compliment some super-solid game play mechanics and level design, had a lot of fun with this one.

Dariusburst CS (PS4): Couldn't have wished for a better update to the legendary (at least in Japan) Darius series. The port of the arcade version would have been enough, but the new campaign mode adds tons more content, making DBCS the most feature laden port of any pure arcade game to date. Exceptional.

Raiden V Director's Cut (PS4): It's been slagged off in some circles, but those circles would be wrong. The new weapon variations are an audacious attempt at mixing up a pretty rigid formula, as are the special mission sections (exclusive to Director's Cut IIRC). The new dramatic symphonic OST is another deviation from the classic formula, and as much as I love classic Raiden music, I have to admit this is one hell of a soundtrack.

Gynoug (MD): Came for the grotesque body-horror bosses, stayed for the proto bullet hell patterns. The pacing runs a bit long in a way, but lots of 16-bit horizontal shooters did this so whatevs. Still think it's better than a lot of other MD horis, including the slick but perhaps slightly overrated Thunder Force III.
    I like your taste in games sir. The first 4 you mentioned are some of my fave games from last year.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 has yet to be dethroned IMO.

This year was really poor for quality new releases IMO.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I'm throwing Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle and Monster Boy in as well. Right below Octopath. Monster Boy is Wonder Boy true return. Game is amazing. Even has some of the old Wonder Boy music remixed. It's a new entry still. I loved Dragon's Trap remake but to have a brand new entry for the first time since IV and on cart feels surreal and seeing that SEGA Copyright at the bottom. Like I fell backward into 1992 in the best way.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information