Quantcast

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 357: Official Thread

I thought WM had the rights to Vixen 357?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Maybe they didn't get exclusive rights? Or there was a time limit that has expired.

Definitely the case since Vixen 357 was added to Project EGG in December 2017, long after supposedly Watermelon got their license:
    http://www.amusement-center.com/proj...roduct_id=1443

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    The box for Tanglewood is very authentic to the original cases so might it be an idea to bulk buy with Big Evil or Piko? I firmly believe you’ll make more sales and us MD fans don’t mind paying a few dollars extra for a proper box.
    We got them from customgamecases.com, but make sure to drop them a message if you don't want their company logo on them, they were planning to get a new mold with their branding (like their DS cases, etc).

Always always order 10% more than you need, because no matter how well they're packaged, shipping companies go out of their way to find new ways to break them.

SFT is essentially releasing a repro of a fan translation for $63 and I'm supposed to be excited?

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    SFT is essentially releasing a repro of a fan translation for $63 and I'm supposed to be excited?
    What do you think a cartridge, manual, box, shipping, license from Extreme and share to the translators and hackers should cost?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if Brandon is releasing it, it's because he has the license. This isn't simply a repro.

*Edit: Pre-ordered!
    Last edited by Melf; 01-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Thanks for the warm reception, guys.

To confirm: Super Fighter Team was granted an exclusive, worldwide license to produce and publish Vixen 357 for the Genesis / Mega Drive.
    We're proud to have been trusted with this privilege. Vixen 357 has been long overdue for a proper commercial release, and we're handling it with our usual care and devotion.

Master of Shinobi

I very much prefer when SFT releases licensed games like this one or Blue Almanac instead of unlicensed (ie pirate) games claiming they have the rights just because they bought the game from the original developer (but sill have not an official license from Sega, who will not issue any license for dead systems anymore anyway).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

That does not really change anything legally though.
    Even if the Japanese version was licensed by SEGA in 1992 or so the western release would have to be licensed again. It is not like that license from back then would automatically work as a license for international releases and for all eternity.

As I would understand it, this release of Vixen has exactly the same status as any of the Taiwanese games SFT has published as far as being "official" goes.

To me it does not matter much anyway. An actual SEGA license would always be a nice icing on the cake but having the license from the developers is good enough to make it legit.

This is cool news. WM had been sitting on the license for years and I would much rather have the game to be released finally than to wait forever.

I would agree though that it would really be nice if SFT switched to.clamshell cases. The cardboard boxes just feel cheap in comparison and don't really fit well for MD games. It is not a deal breaker but I think it is probably a very reasonable raise in cost and effort for a very big difference in quality.

I wonder though when it says 2019... can you pinpoint the date any more? I'll admit that I would much rather pre-order closer to release than to pay in January if the game comes out maybe in December.

Also now that WM has lost the Vixen license I imagine the license to Langrisser II is gone too. That would be another great release.

I think chilled meant "unlicensed" as in "committing copyright infringement" (all the bootleg stuff, basically). Although didn't SFT pretty much only have their own games…?

SFT released Beggar Prince, The Legend of Wukong and Magic Girl. All of those were Taiwanese unlicensed games . SFT licensed them from the original devs/rights holders. Then they localized and fixed bugs, but SFT only released them without any stolen content. Or at least they said they had, it is not like I checked every pixel and every sound effect. SFT claimed they did not release any pirates that used graphics and sounds from other games. Either by replacing those that were identified or because the games actuall had none to begin with. There was a lot of talk back in the day and Brandon assured fans he was very closely looking at the games and some that did have stolen material had basically been disqualified.

So being not licensed by SEGA is the only difference, really . There was no copyright infringement unless you count bypassing the MD's security measures which I believe can be easily bypassed legally anyway. Or if there was some content SFT might have missed.
    Last edited by 108 Stars; 01-05-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    SFT released Beggar Prince, The Legend of Wukong and Magic Girl. All of those were Taiwanese unlicensed games . SFT picensed them from the original devs/rights holders. Then they localized and fixed bugs, but SFT only released them without any stolen content. Or at least they said they had, it is not like I checked every pixel and every sound effect.
    Legend of Wukong had at least one jingle "borrowed" from Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair. In particular, I know the level-up tune at the end of battle was taken verbatim from WB3. Compare the very end of this Wukong video, at 7:38:

https://youtu.be/npYNi6ZjDqQ?t=7m38s

To 0:54 in this Wonder Boy III video:

https://youtu.be/aF2MedpuI8M?t=54s

That's pretty inconsequential, though, and it's understandable that it was overlooked.

CMA Death Adder, is Nebulous Translations the "independent development team" mentioned in the first post? If you've partnered with Nebulous (under that name or any other), that'll be welcome news to a lot of us.
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks for the info, I don't have Wukong. I am sure it really was an oversight (and I am sure this can happen easily if you don't have an enclopedic knowledge of all games), but at least overall the gist of it is that SFT does not intentionally release anything that infringes on copyrights. And unless it does I do not regard those games by Taiwanese devs any different than for example what WM, BigEvilCorp or any other publisher is doing who works without SEGA's permisson but does his own stuff. It's a shame it happened here though.

Isn't the whole sound engine from Wonder Boy III?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information