Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Launch PS3 Not Reading DVD Movies

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Could something to do with the encoding circuit that DVD's need.
    It won't read DVDs or CDs. It has something to do with the lens, or the drive itself. I have a PS2 that struggles with PS2 games that are on CD.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Just brainstorming here but yeah to DVD is picked-up by the reader and than found to be a DVD than almost simultaneously region checked so thinking maybe there's something wrong with the encoding circuit witch is separate from the PS1 or in this launch PS3 the PS2 disks.

As for the PS2 struggling, them PS2 CD-ROMs disks spin at a much higher speed to be read. They were a problem even back when the PS2 was new.

Also to me the PS2 CD-ROMs look purple not blue.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Just brainstorming here but yeah to DVD is picked-up by the reader and than found to be a DVD than almost simultaneously region checked so thinking maybe there's something wrong with the encoding circuit witch is separate from the PS1 or in this launch PS3 the PS2 disks.

As for the PS2 struggling, them PS2 CD-ROMs disks spin at a much higher speed to be read. They were a problem even back when the PS2 was new.

Also to me the PS2 CD-ROMs look purple not blue.

Yeah, I know. Thatís why I suggested greasing the rails, because any drag on the lens moving will cause a read error. My Saturn would have issues with certain games (probably had data all over the disc), but once I greased the drive rails everything went back to normal.

He should have no problems with firmware for DVD or CD, because PS3 software updates handle all of that. Thatís why the PS3 is still one of the best Blu Ray players you can buy. I canít say the same for my BR player in the master bedroom; It may connect to the internet, but it cant have the firmware updated at all.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-05-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, I know. Thatís why I suggested greasing the rails, because any drag on the lens moving will cause a read error. My Saturn would have issues with certain games (probably had data all over the disc), but once I greased the drive rails everything went back to normal.
    True and can't argue with that logic. So hopefully it's that simple.

I have had a couple of optical devices show sings of not reading a particular format that didn't get any better even after messing with it than just failed all together.

So I picked up a used replacement drive and took the PS3 apart to swap. However, I did not notice a heavy book in an unfortunate location. The book fell over, knocked over something else, and put a big gash on the original drive's daughterboard as I was swapping. The original daughterboard is now completely broken. The drive will take in the disc, but not do anything else.

To see what happens, I swapped in the new drive with it's new daughterboard into the PS3. It takes in discs, spins up, and appears to successfully recognize every disc including Blu, DVD, and CD. Of course, the PS3 doesn't show anything because the daughterboard is from another PS3.

Am I out of luck? Is it possible to remarry the new daughterboard to my old PS3? The original daughterboard is dead. I'm on the latest firmware, and it seems you have be on an ancient firmware to remarry PS3 drives.

EDIT: Andddddddd no functioning drive = can't play games off HDD either. Perfect.
    Last edited by Blades; 01-06-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Unfortuneatly, you'll probably have to take out the laser assembly and put it in the drive with the matching daughterboard. I've always thought that it was an asshole move on Sony's part with the way they handled the BR player pairing through that daughterboard.

Thread Information