Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Sonic game on the Saturn?

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Default Best Sonic game on the Saturn?

Here's a good one, which is the better Sonic game on the Saturn? Or favorite if you prefer that, most people don't consider any of them to be good. The games are:

• Sonic 3D Blast
    • Sonic Jam
    • Sonic R

My favorite of those three is Sonic R. It's not quite Mario Kart, but I've always enjoyed it anyway.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Probably sonic jam.

Mostly because of the thing where you can run around that overworld and go into all the buildings.
    It's disappointing that none of the graphics or music in the games were updated for saturn though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    most people don't consider any of them to be good.
    HAHA. When I saw the thread title I immediately thought "There were no sonic games on saturn. Wait...there were no real sonic games on saturn."

I would have to go with Sonic R as well.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

sonic R

the controls are iffy but i like the music anyway
    im crap at the racing it self so i usually play time trial mode

followed by sonic jam
    all 4 sonic's and the sonci over world

sonic 3D is a very distant third

id rathe rplay sonic in crhistmast nights then that
    Kitsune in a hat

I still say that Sonic R should have used that engine to make a real Sonic game in 3D, if you ask me it could have worked.

But my vote goes to Sonic Jam.
    This is your money, give me a smoking.

Gale Racer

I liked Blast and R.

Jam sucked. Everyone loved it so I tracked a copy down maybe 10 years ago. It was more expensive than any other Saturn game I'd bought at that point. What I got was what I already had and a tech demo.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

They were all dissappointing. Sonic Jam was nice but should have been a launch title (or released shortly thereafter).
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GriskaGyoran View Post
    I still say that Sonic R should have used that engine to make a real Sonic game in 3D, if you ask me it could have worked.
    Absolutely. The engine was very solid. But they just didn't have the resources and development time to make something like a Sonic Adventure. They were barely able to make a racing game, with a small number of tracks. Also Traveller's Tales didn't have any experience with 3D platformers (or 3D games in general), and their first, the following year's Rascal, sucked. So I'm not sure I'd have trusted them to make a good 3D Sonic game. But maybe we could've had Traveller's Tales develop the engine and the boss fights or something, with another developer on the main game. Except that would require Sega to spend more money.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Absolutely. The engine was very solid. But they just didn't have the resources and development time to make something like a Sonic Adventure. They were barely able to make a racing game, with a small number of tracks. Also Traveller's Tales didn't have any experience with 3D platformers (or 3D games in general), and their first, the following year's Rascal, sucked. So I'm not sure I'd have trusted them to make a good 3D Sonic game. But maybe we could've had Traveller's Tales develop the engine and the boss fights or something, with another developer on the main game. Except that would require Sega to spend more money.
    I really liked TT's Toy Story 2 PC platfomer when it came out in '99.

I think the Sonic R engine was built for cars more than a platformer. The characters can drift for baby jesus' sake.

Sonic R was a very polished, if short, 3D game, surprising for both 1997 and the Saturn. I really like it, though I played it on PC when it was new, which had a few nice additions.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

sonic R plays a lot like the all stars racing games
    only in the all stars racing games is the drifting actually polished in the sonic R games i barley fdeel in control of my racer

i usuually choose amy because at least the controls arent that slippery and barley controllable with her

sonic R needed some extra polish
    Kitsune in a hat

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Sonic R is a very poorly presented game with terrible character handling. The environments look pretty good and they did an okay job working with the Saturn's limitations, but aside from that I can't think of anything good to say about the game.

No game plays quite like R, I can see how difficult it could be at first. Being a kid afforded me with the time necessary to become proficient. I will destroy any challenger in R.

Isn't it funny how games you played as a very young boy become almost ingrained in you. You can fly through all the levels almost by instinct only these days.

Also the music rocked.

SUPA SONIC RACING.

Tough one! A compilation, an enhanced port or a piece of shit... hmmmm! I have to go with Sonic 3D Blast. The graphics are considerably better than the MD version and the "new" bonus levels improve it a bit too.

It blows my mind why Sega didn't try harder with Sonic on the Saturn. The Sonic X-streme fiasco is completely unbelievable when you read about it and once again proves that the higher-ups on Sega in the mid-90s were complete morons.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

It's hard to decide. I like all of them. I've always been a big fan of 3D blast, so that probably gets my vote. Jam is one of the best compilations I've played and Sonic R is Sonic R, love it or loathe it (I love it).

But 3D Blast is probably my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Thread Information