Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Themes among different games in MD lifetime

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    ^Cool, those are good points re: those themes in the 90ís.

Sometimes I wonder about why / how there was such a push for environmentalism... and then the trend stopped, at some point, after the 90ís, itís really bizarre.

Re: games: I wanted to mention that Ristar has bird-characters in one stage, and they seem to be Nightopians from NiGHTS, released the next year.

They also function similarly, as Ristar gives them an item which makes them sing, and so the music evolves in that one stage.

Quite similar to the actual Nightopians in NiGHTS, who have an advanced system of their own happiness, which makes them sing and evolve all the music in NiGHTS.

So I think Ristar has a small bit of a preview of the Nightopiansí singing and evolving the music.

Although different development teams, iirc there was the same music composer in both games, and possibly some other same people, maybe (to explain how the two games seem related but made by diff teams).
    Oh wow, I never noticed that about Ristar/NiGHTS.

But yeah, it is interesting how in the early 90s there was a bunch of eco-friendly stuff and then it kind of went away. I think Sega could do very well if they brought some of that back, provided the focus is on the environment itself and not trying to push a political/moral message. Ecco seems like the perfect franchise for VR and/or haptic feedback when you use the sonar. The next Sonic movie could have a theme of Robotnik trying to replace animals with drones and robots, maybe set in the future with a darker tone.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

The eco stuff got even bigger in the 00s because of that Al Gore movie.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by RvR View Post
    The eco stuff got even bigger in the 00s because of that Al Gore movie.
    Funny you mention that. At the time I joked that someone should make a videogame based on the movie, like you play as a penguin on an ice float and the final boss is Al Gore in his private jet. I think that could have been a big hit for an indie studio.

Maybe the kids who grew up in the nineties on"save the environment" video Games went and watched that Al Gore movie in the 2000s as (young) adults...
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Thread Information