Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Nomad Custom Lipo Battery Pack

Megadrive Sega Nomad Custom Lipo Battery Pack

Hey guys long time no post, been away from the Retro Scene for a while but got back into it with a new mod I developed for my Nomad that has been sitting on my shelf for like 2 years since I have no battery pack.

I used a Custom Lipo Battery I sell for the GameBoy Zero projects along with a boost chip to get 2A capable 10v (over kill on amperage and the 10v can be adjusted) to power the device.

The battery is 4.5A - 4.7A so this should get a fair good amount of game play but I still need to test it better to get accurate numbers. I opted for the new USB-C connector so it can be plugged in any orientation and it will charge the battery at 2.5A so it should charge the battery full in less than 2 hours (might tweak this to 2.3A). Not selling anything yet as I still need to tweak minor things and waiting on proper pogo pins for the back so makes proper contact.

Thought this would be the best community to show this off to and maybe get feed back on it. The battery has built in protection for anyone concerned about that and has been used in many other projects before this one.

20190131_201834.jpg
    20190131_200837.jpg
    20190131_202104.jpg
    20190131_202018.jpg
    20190131_201953.jpg

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm interested. Nice to see you back after a while. Posting about a Nomad seems appropriate in this context!

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Excellent!! Very Cool project, and good to have you back.
    I was thinking of designing a conversion kit for the dead rechargeable batteries but they've been getting too expensive now. This is way better anyway.

For feedback, I would love to see:
    An LED battery gauge with button
    Black case
    logos that more closely resemble Sega and the Nomad (they could be laser etched if you have access to a laser cutter).

That said, this is an awesome design the way it is. Good work! Very clean PCB and I love the silk logo work.

Edit: USB mini or micro option would be nice. Maybe I'm just too stuck in the past. :0
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 02-01-2019 at 01:16 AM.
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Sorry, I don't respond to PM's for repair advice. Please consider posting on the forums - your question might be somebody else's answer!
    I offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:
    https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php
    https://www.smspower.org/forums/
    https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

What's the back of the case where it connects to the power points on the unit look like? I agree that it should probably be black and closer looking to the regular Sega version, only difference would be if you could make it thinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

It's a 3D shell I designed you can print in any color, I had the clear in the printer and red before it but Black is easily made. I didn't have any decent Fonts so I went with what looked closest to it. I will see if I can add atleast a low level or mid and low level LED to know it's level but I do have 2 LEDs in there already that will tell you when it's charged or is charging and USB-C is the future without any orientation needed, just plug it in and it works.

The back uses spring pogo pins so when you slide the pack in it makes contact with the 2 metal plates on the Nomad, the ones I used in the picture are not the proper ones and had to add some solder to increase the height (still in testing phase) but I have the correct ones arriving in a week or 2.

20190131_201702.jpg

Nice! Looks shnazzy.

USB-C is the future
    I'm so afraid of the future! *Hides under Sega Nomad box*
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Sorry, I don't respond to PM's for repair advice. Please consider posting on the forums - your question might be somebody else's answer!
    I offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:

So, that font... leave it with me, I might be able to help with that...

I actually need a font file to do the lettering properly. The silkscreen is easy to do with just a picture so that is why it looks good.

I'll have a tinker this week if I get time, if my idea works it may be helpful to you, it may not.

Definitely second the all black case request. And if you can use the original SEGA and Nomad fonts, all the better! I think you'll have a lot of takers on this.

Question: are you testing with a stock Nomad? I ask because at this point many of us have upgraded the screens in some fashion. Mine is using a modern LCD, for instance.

I just got an LCD in yesterday that supports S-Video input but not sure if it needs a firmware hack but I plan to test the stock crap LCD and the new replacement to see what play times I get. I also plan to test the S-Video input on it to see if it works and if it does it's only a $10 LCD/Board Combo (does need a 5V mod though but that's easy).

Quote Originally Posted by Helder View Post
    I just got an LCD in yesterday that supports S-Video input but not sure if it needs a firmware hack but I plan to test the stock crap LCD and the new replacement to see what play times I get. I also plan to test the S-Video input on it to see if it works and if it does it's only a $10 LCD/Board Combo (does need a 5V mod though but that's easy).

Could you post a link please? I didn't realize there was an S-Video option available :0
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Ah cool. Idk what brand LCD mine has, but the modder got it from China and changed the caps on the Nomad for me. Clear picture and no more ghosting.

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    Could you post a link please? I didn't realize there was an S-Video option available :0
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-320x240...72.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

The board needs a 5v mod to work which I have pointed out but you will need to add a 3mmx3mm SMD pot to the spot I point out to adjust the brightness. The 5v mod lowers the backlight voltage a bit so this is needed to adjust to your liking. The Chroma pin is grounded with a capacitor so that needs to be removed then Chroma will be soldered on the right pad of C14 (not tested this out yet but the board and chip support S-Video input).

This thread just gets better.

Thread Information