Quantcast

Thread: Megadrive/Genesis November 1990 Launch

Default Megadrive/Genesis November 1990 Launch

I have been thinking for a long time about what would have been improved upon had the Megadrive had been released in November 1990 alongside the SNES for the same price of $199.99?

It probably wouldn't have sold as well because the 2 year lead allowed Sega to get a foothold in the market and establish themselves. But if they had launched the machine in November 1990 what improvements could have been realistically made assuming they are sticking to the design of the Megadrive as close as possible without radically altering it?

Im sure they could have clocked the CPU up to 10mhz and increased the speed of the main ram aswel. Audio wise i would of given it 8 pcm fm channels instead of 6 with 2 of the channels being able to be used for samples instead of 1 and doubled the audio ram to 16kb along with the ability to output stereo directly to the tv. Either that or just kept 6 pcm fm channels but added a single adpcm channel for speech/samples whilst doubling the audio ram and increased the potential quality of the samples.

I also think they could have had scaling and rotation effects and increased the colours on screen aswel as having a larger colour palette along with more sprites on screen and potentially larger sprite sizes. I also would of doubled the VDP ram.

Would certainly like to here others opinions on what Sega could have realistically improved upon.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgehog View Post
    I have been thinking for a long time about what would have been improved upon had the Megadrive had been released in November 1990 alongside the SNES for the same price of $199.99?

It probably wouldn't have sold as well because the 2 year lead allowed Sega to get a foothold in the market and establish themselves. But if they had launched the machine in November 1990 what improvements could have been realistically made assuming they are sticking to the design of the Megadrive as close as possible without radically altering it?

Im sure they could have clocked the CPU up to 10mhz and increased the speed of the main ram aswel. Audio wise i would of given it 8 pcm fm channels instead of 6 with 2 of the channels being able to be used for samples instead of 1 and doubled the audio ram to 16kb along with the ability to output stereo directly to the tv. Either that or just kept 6 pcm fm channels but added a single adpcm channel for speech/samples whilst doubling the audio ram and increased the potential quality of the samples.

I also think they could have had scaling and rotation effects and increased the colours on screen aswel as having a larger colour palette along with more sprites on screen and potentially larger sprite sizes. I also would of doubled the VDP ram.

Would certainly like to here others opinions on what Sega could have realistically improved upon.
    I would look at the System 16 boards, since Sega was using those anyway and the basic design had been around since 1985 maybe by 1990 it could be done in a consolized format for a decent price. You'd have a 10 Mhz 68k, 128 sprites, sprite scaling, translucencies, a 4096 color palette, something much closer to the Neo Geo than the SNES. I hope that wouldn't drive up the price too much. By that time maybe Sega would have realized the side connector wasn't necessary, if you really want an add-on just use the cart slot.

Also design it from the beginning to use extra processors in the carts just like the SNES, an extra 68k in the cart and you'd be able to handle a lot of the superscalar games.

Thread Information