Quantcast

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Imagining the games you love on Mega Drive.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    R-Type Leo would have been perfect on the genesis.
    I came here just to post this game, could have been arcade perfect.

R-TYPE FOREVER
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

XMultiply would have been a great candidate for an early Genesis port. The same could be said for most games running on Irem M72 hardware.

xmultipl_a.pngxmultipl.png

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Well, I mean the games I love are already on the Mega Drive/Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Blood Brothers would have been awesome; a nice analogue to Wild Guns on the SNES
    Plus it would have kept with the awkwardness of NES games that got Genesis sequels(the predecessor being Cabal). A similar arcade game is called simply Pirates. That would have probably been confusing with the Micropose series.

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Did someone already say ... Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja? Now that's a game that defo should have been on the MD.
    Like this one, with 2 Crude Dudes.

Oddly enough, I tend to think of PC games for some reason.

Like D/Generation. I believe that came out on PC's in '91, doesn't look too much of a stretch for the Genesis to handle(well, outside of using the keyboard to type in the occasional password anyway).

Since we did get Pirates! Gold(another sequel, or I guess remake in this case, to a game the NES got a port of), what about Sword of the Samurai? Released one year after the Mega Drive, I think the MD/Genesis could handle it easily enough(also there's nothing too complex about the controls to port, I don't think).

Perhaps Commander Keen, Duke Nukem(before 3D), Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry, or Bio Menace? (I think the last couple were released as freeware). On the subject of Apogee/3D Realms, Realms of Chaos sounds like a great fit for the console, where, like Blades of Vengeance, enemies explode in piles of blood. Also maybe Raptor, as a shoot 'em up. Possibly Tyrian as well.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Bumping this thread, as another idea passed through my mind.
    Again, I'm going to bring up a post-2000 game... Cave Story.

I think the graphics would work well with the limited color palette of the Mega Drive. The music style would also be a good match for the Mega Drive.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

It's being developed (or it was, i don't know if the project is still on)

https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md/releases
    Last edited by Leo; 03-10-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Bumping this thread, as another idea passed through my mind.
    Again, I'm going to bring up a post-2000 game... Cave Story.

I think the graphics would work well with the limited color palette of the Mega Drive. The music style would also be a good match for the Mega Drive.

You're aware that the game pretty much already exists for the system right?

Nope, I didn't know, or I wouldn't have brought it up. Great news! I hope it's not dead.

You can do just about anything you could with the PC version as is. Some weapons may not function as they should, but if you can live with that, it's pretty complete. This was actually the first game I really sat down with when I first got the Everdrive.

If I recall correctly it's near the end where it's missing stuff (though it's beatable from what I remember).

It has 76 known bugs, so I'd rather just wait for now. But it's still a great project, an awesome game on an awesome console. The graphics and musics barely took a hit at all.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Grind's Avatar

You might be entertained by some of those issues. Especially the ones opened by that Pokemon person, who suggested I instead port the game to the SNES because I didn't want to show all 5 weapons in the HUD at once (to conserve sprites).

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    You might be entertained by some of those issues. Especially the ones opened by that Pokemon person, who suggested I instead port the game to the SNES because I didn't want to show all 5 weapons in the HUD at once (to conserve sprites).
    How far along is the game now, the last version I played looked almost complete. I've been impressed by what I've been able to play so far, you've clearly put a lot of effort into it.

With regard to the main topic though:
    This thread feels like some kind of market research. Anyway, there aren't many games I can think of that weren't already made for the system. One game that might make sense is Monkey Island. If the Amiga can have a version (even if it did involve constantly swapping disks) then I'm sure a somewhat decent Monkey Island could be made for Sega. I forget who it was, but someone here did discuss a Monkey Island port a few years ago.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Grind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    How far along is the game now
    The main story is done, you can get every ending and watch the credits. The rest is bugfixing & minor missing things like whimsical star.

I derailed the thread so here is an un-derail: There was someone remaking Touhou 1 on MD and that's pretty rad. MMX is cool too. I'm interested in seeing more efforts like that, and what they do differently to workaround the limitations, etc.

Hmm... Found it. That one is not a bug anyway, but something that is by design or nice to have. No big deal.
    It's obvious to me that the game is a better fit for the Mega Drive than the SNES. The SNES resolution is too low while the MD one is the exact same, and the SNES certainly couldn't handle the intense action as well as the MD. I'd say the simple graphics and musics also fit the MD better, so you could barely take advantage of the strong points of the SNES.

I derailed the thread
    I don't think anyone minds. The topic was buried in the second page until I brought up Cave Story. Feel free to tell us more about your Cave Story project!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    One game that might make sense is Monkey Island. If the Amiga can have a version (even if it did involve constantly swapping disks) then I'm sure a somewhat decent Monkey Island could be made for Sega. I forget who it was, but someone here did discuss a Monkey Island port a few years ago.
    It's actually on the Sega CD.

Thread Information