Quantcast

View Poll Results: Did you record youself playing games on a VHS back in the day?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

16 69.57%
  • No.

2 8.70%
  • I didn't know you could do that!

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else record themselves playing on VHS tapes.

Default Anybody else record themselves playing on VHS tapes.

When I was a much younger lad, back in the 90s, I'd hook up my game systems and the VCR so that I could record myself playing. Basically a proto-Let's PLay.
    I recently got around to getting good enough recording equipment to record at 60fps to preserve some of the effects done by the older systems utilizing interlacing.
    My first test run was with the very first game on the first tape I did (I recorded 12 VHS tapes at 6 hours each).

That game was, apparently, Final Zone for the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

I used to do that as well during the 16 bit era with both Genesis and Snes games I liked, I have a few 6 hour vhs full of footage still around here somewhere. I can't remember if I kept recording games through the 32bit era, I don't think I did after the 16 bit era ended.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I didnít want to take my Saturn back home the 1st year I got it, so I recorded gameplay of Daytona, Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon to show to my cousin and brother.

I also recorded footage of Beyond the Beyond and found the tape last year. I donít know why I'd recorded that.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-08-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

The old analogue game capture devices. That was so cool back in time! I think I only did that once though with the game Super Mario World. Wish I still had that tape today though.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I had a tape with the endings of 20-30 NES games I beat, from about 1989-1993. Long gone, sadly.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I remember the moment I figured out that I could record game footage. The first thing I recorded was the fire dragon boss in Lifeforce.

I recorded a lit of stuff, similar to the kinds of clips that people make for youtube. Intros, endings, cool scenes and even made a coupke music video montages.

I still have some of the tapes, but lastctime I checked (ten years ago?), a lot of what was on them got recorded over.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I wish I had (been able to), it's awesome you made these and still have them!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

If any of you want these tapes digitising to DVD then drop me a line. I have a VHS / DVD double decker. I'd be happy to help!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training The Reverend 330 Mega's Avatar

I used to do that with Neo-Geo games. I recorded all the endings to Samurai Shodown and later on I remember doing all the moves for SS3 to show a friend. I also used to record game music to cassette as I had my games running hrough my stereo.
    * Jigen has joined #neo-geo
    * ChanServ sets mode: +a Jigen
    <BonusBot> [Jigen] <Double up or quit, Devils take a split! The Ace of Spades!>

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend 330 Mega View Post
    I used to do that with Neo-Geo games. I recorded all the endings to Samurai Shodown and later on I remember doing all the moves for SS3 to show a friend. I also used to record game music to cassette as I had my games running hrough my stereo.
    Oh man, thanks for the memory - we used to record Mega Drive music on cassette as well I'd forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    we used to record Mega Drive music on cassette as well I'd forgotten.
    I used to do that too. I still have the tape with the music from Ghost N Ghouls and Elemental Master lol
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training The Reverend 330 Mega's Avatar

Fortunately the Neo-Geo has a built in volume control so I'd slowly fade the music after the second loop. Honestly, I don't know why playing the music in my car didn't attract more (any) babes.
    * Jigen has joined #neo-geo
    * ChanServ sets mode: +a Jigen
    <BonusBot> [Jigen] <Double up or quit, Devils take a split! The Ace of Spades!>

Of course. Virtua Racing 32X, Daytona USA etc. How else could I save those neat replays with the swooping cameras?

i didn't know this was possible until mario paint, where i think the manual even said something like record it from a vcr if you want to save it (might have been the art game on the genesis too, not sure which). it always seemed like so much work and to be honest, i wasn't all that great at 8 bit / 16bit games as a kid and thus, the videos probably would have sucked. i didn't hit my gaming stride until Quake and team fortress rolled along.

2nd game. Thunderforce III

Thread Information