Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: IRENA - Genesis Metal Fury *WIP* [SGDK Project]

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Yes, at least Kentosama is french, I don't know about the rest of the team.
    The graphic artist is American (as mentioned in the French video I posted).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

This is looking nice, i wonder if they will keep the fire special move as it looks like it's been ripped from Revenge Of Shinobi

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edek View Post
    This is looking nice, i wonder if they will keep the fire special move as it looks like it's been ripped from Revenge Of Shinobi
    That is intentional. It's one of the many nods or homages that this game contains.

Pretty nice. I'm thinking of backing and getting a physical copy.
    Last edited by otobo; 01-19-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Backed the highest tier yesterday. It's getting some minor hate on /r/shmups, but the game looks and plays solidly for a demo. I can see it becoming pretty polished if given enough time. The Genesis homebrews, if you can even call them that at this point, are looking pretty amazing.

Wildside Expert

Of course /r/shmups is filled with people who live and breathe shmups. They're certainly going to have their opinions on it, and compare it with existing games. They'll be honest and harsh and be the exact people the project needs for it to improve.

Also backed, Shmups are my favorite genre so this is a nobrainer for me

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

There's an updated demo available:

https://www.whiteninjastudio.com/pos...-now-available

They also announced a future competition with some prizes:

https://twitter.com/_irenagenesis/st...649520654?s=19

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by djcc View Post
    Of course /r/shmups is filled with people who live and breathe shmups. They're certainly going to have their opinions on it, and compare it with existing games. They'll be honest and harsh and be the exact people the project needs for it to improve.
    This can't be stated enough. You learn the most from a hard critique. There's no value in empty praise.

That said, I'm sure enough people have given their critique of the demo. I would just say that yeah it needs more tuning in the balancing enemies, weapons, etc. The mechanics and design need to match the rest of the polish put into this. I don't know what level they're going for (professional feel), but it's better than some armature attempts at shmups. I would find someone pretty knowledgeable to help tune everything. I mean, if you can't do that then just up the 'flash/presentation' to like 11. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but given that the KS is at 50k+ and ends in 16 days, I highly doubt anything's gonna be updated. Anyway, congrats! A new MD homebrew haha.

Gave the demo a try, the presentation is fine although limited, the gameplay is mediocre, stage drags (try cutting 2-3 mins), enemy variety gets old fast, overly basic bullet patterns (most enemies just shoot straight and there is barely any aimed or spread pattern), spongey enemies, unsatisfying weapons/fire-rate, hitbox seems too big even for horizontal shooter standards and overall it feels kinda cluttered, especially the section with walls where movement is too restricted and wall contact isn't lenient enough.
    Last edited by Vludi; 01-25-2021 at 05:21 AM.

Master of Shinobi

Shmprium?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Shmprium?
    At least these guys are open about the project and seem to accept feedback, if backers don't care much for quality gameplay that's just on them. Tšnzer dude's shmup is definitely looking a lot cooler though.
    Did a video to show some of the flaws I stated before.
    Last edited by Vludi; 01-25-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

While the campaign page could have used more polish, I was surprised (but happy) to see the game get funded so fast! In particular the trailer at the top of it is blurry and I wasn't a fan of the voice or the soundtrack. The prototype gameplay below does a better job at selling the game imo.

I messed around with the demo a bit then backed the game, but tbh I was going to back it either way.

Vludi is saying is exactly what I was thinking, and the video pretty much sums it up.
    The level design and pacing need to be more interesting, I didn't particularly enjoy the demo as even the first level just drags for minutes on end.
    It got more interesting with the interior stage and the walls, but I think the ship is too big, especially for a letterboxed game (UI).
    Hopefully the levels get much more development, but the cool bosses and good music are promising!

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Here is the updated sea level. Which looks much better than before. The rain adds a nice touch:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1364166811235811330

https://twitter.com/i/status/1364166811235811330

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Very nice, reminds me of Vectorman a bit actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information