Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TiTAN - MD-NICCC - SEGA Mega Drive Demo (Insane 3D)

Road Rasher

As cool as those demos are, i feel like talent is being wasted towards a real game... Titan, its time!!! Full game!

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    As cool as those demos are, i feel like talent is being wasted towards a real game... Titan, its time!!! Full game!
    This!!! I really want a game based on that stuff!

From experience: most demosceners make for shitty game designers. You really don't want that :​P

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    From experience: most demosceners make for shitty game designers. You really don't want that :​P
    True but they would make for a great cut scene/opening/ending.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Road Rasher

They could develop assets, tools, engines whatever, but they could do amazing stuff with a guy like you sik!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Yall would be disappointed. A fraction of demo stuff is actually possible in an interactive game.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

The best you could hope for with this tech is something along the lines of an FMV game.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    The best you could hope for with this tech is something along the lines of an FMV game.
    As others mentioned, it would be awesome to see this in a game intro. Granted, in the early 90's no one would've "wasted" this much rom space for an intro, but today's indie games... sure.

You don't want these guys to make a real game. It'd be PAL only.

There was that music video thingy that was released not long ago that had some real slick 3D and it ran in NTSC just fine. Super good coders to get that to run in NTSC and not rely on the PAL crutch. NTSC 4 lyfe.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    You don't want these guys to make a real game. It'd be PAL only.

There was that music video thingy that was released not long ago that had some real slick 3D and it ran in NTSC just fine. Super good coders to get that to run in NTSC and not rely on the PAL crutch. NTSC 4 lyfe.
    Haha I'm guessing this 100% sarcasm 😉 As it was the same Dev as Red Eyes

Nah, I'd make sure to beat it into them to make it work on NTSC.

But you're not going to get those framerates with arbitrary 3D scenes at all, period, regardless of whether it's NTSC or PAL. A large part of the speed up comes from skipping tiles with a solid color. When you know the scene ahead of time (i.e. all precomputed) you can easily mark them, but in a game that needs to figure out the area covered by each polygon in real time it'd take more time to compute than always drawing them. And yes, this has been attempted before with atrocious results (F-22 seems to sometimes glitch out and draw blocky boundaries, which implies the game is doing precisely this… and that game runs at a slideshow framerate).

So no, don't expect any game even remotely like this even with the best coders. Even at half framerate. Not without a coprocessor, anyway (hello there Virtua Racing!). And to put it bluntly, I'm disappointed on Titan here… Resistance did it better this time (scaled up to fullscreen and running at the correct speed instead of going too fast). And I'm also pretty tired of all this precomputed polygon stuff lately.

I know I shouldn't be saying all that without having my own stuff instead "to show them", but eh.

Thread Information