Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Earthworm Jim announced....you'll likely never play it either

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Thumbs down New Earthworm Jim announced....you'll likely never play it either

https://twitter.com/TommyTallarico/s...79100877037568

Original team back together.

Why? Because you will need to buy this thing

Have you ever wanted to play a platformer like Earthworm Jim with a Microsoft Zune? You will and the company that will bring it to you...AT&T..I mean Intellivision.

So yeah this next failure of a console if it even releases has a crazy amount of restrictions. Must be exclusive. Must have a meta of 70 or better. Must love MS Zune controllers. Aimed at kids so no T rated or above games. Ouya Leapfrog? Lol so yeah if you wanted a new EWJ you got a monkey paw to wish if there ever was one.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

No way this exclusivity is permanent, right?
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Why can't I ever come here and see something like "Earthworm Jim 3 announced by original team for Genesis & Snes!"

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I'm not interested in Tommy's project, but:

-this is the one console which will definitely launch. No group funding, investment, etc. He's paying everything himself and not rushing it.

-those aren't the exclusive controllers and that isn't the final model. Most games will use a controller similar to Xbox/Pkaystation.

-it's not made for the console market. The hardware and games will be a fraction of the price of traditional consoles. It's aimed more at the plug 'n play market.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
    No way this exclusivity is permanent, right?
    For now, it is. Tommy is running Intellivision and this thing is very custom hardware 2D chips. Not 3D. The way they describe it is that PS4 and other modern systems and such can't run Amico games because of some whatever something 3D GPU's vs this custom 2D one. I don't know. Likely just bullshit but don't count on it for the time being.

Out of curiosity, I've taken a look at the trailer of the console (I had never heard of it before), and those controllers (and specially the price) immediately took away any interest I could have.

But hey, good luck to them anyway. I'm assuming this will partially compete with the Atari VCS, so I'm curious to see how the market will react.
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

I think Amico has more chances than the Atari VCS or the now deceased Coleco Chameleon.
    It is not for me, mind you. But it does have a somewhat solid plan for a niche whereas the VCS is made for a reason nobody really seems to understand.
    Aimed at Kids, all games with an ESRB Rating of E10+ max. All games available as downloads with a price of 3 to 8$ max. Controllers with touch screens which works as a novelty gimmick as well as being familiar to young audiences. system price is relatively low at 150 - 180$.

With David Perry involved in the system it just makes sense that they use their old classic 2D Franchise for a 2D machine like this. Software sells Hardware. Sure it may still fail ... but they have to try, and using whatever exclusive rights they have is neccessary. I am not sure how much of a pull Jim will still have. And especially kids as the target audience of the System do not know him anymore ... but this may be a system seller for a few gamer parents at least.

The most basic difference to the VCS for me is that These are not just some people you never heard of using a dead brand to their Advantage. Tommy Tallarico is very well known, and if David Perry puts money into this he thinks this has a real chance. This is the guy who sold his streaming service to Sony for a shitload of money, apart from being a famous developer in the 16-bit days.
    Last edited by 108 Stars; 05-02-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

A phone answering machine with charge functionality? Gotta love the 90's design though

A console with proprietary Chips for 2D graphics that only uses its own App Store for acquiring games? Set for Release in 2020? Who is this thing for???

Don't get me wrong, I can get behind the idea of a platform that promise no In-App purchases or content locked off behind DLCs, only pure, unadulterated fun for the entire family like the console of old... But then again, currently the industry as a whole is vying for less platform exclusivity, not more... And with Cloud gaming on the horizon the prospects of being able to play a game on any platform regardless of its specs is finally within reach - so Why should I (or a parent, for that matter) shell out 150-180 bucks for yet another proprietary platform that will be a far cry from the cutting edge (and will still Block access to the Television Set when the Kids want to play)? The control scheme Sounds intriguing at least, what with built-in 3,5'' Touch displays and Force Feedback and All, but unless the games actually use them in interesting ways these too won't be more than gimmicks most developers might deem to cumbersome to actually plan for. This, on top with the platform exclusivity, might prevent the platform to actually get much third-party interest beyind some ports of old retro classics, but you kind of need that for a platform to succeed. I might've given it a Chance two or three years ago when the retro console Trend was in Full swing, but the console is Set for release in Q3 2020, and by that the fad - which is already fading - should have died down already. Not that the Intellivision had that much of a cult Brand recognition to begin with... (not to mention that other projects like the Colecovision and ZX Spectrum Revival have pissed away a lot of goodwill amongst their prospective target audience, and while I trust that Tommy Tallarico has a much better grasp on actually delivering on his promises unlike the other platforms mentioned, the scorched earth those failures left behind will only make it harder to succeed).

Which is too Bad - I'd love to See a new, old-school Earthworm Jim game getting made. EWJ 1&2 are among my favorite Mega Drive titles. But since the prospected prices for games in the App Store should be no more than 2-8 Dollars per game, I don't expect the team will put too much effort into this 'new, proper' Earthworm Jim game.
    Last edited by Phantar; 05-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    It is not for me, mind you. But it does have a somewhat solid plan for a niche whereas the VCS is made for a reason nobody really seems to understand.
    Eh, the initial pitch for the VCS actually seemed to make sense, if a bit naive. Cheap Linux PC ready to connect to a TV, not locked down at all as you can run any Linux program as-is without need to do any fiddling. Not the most useful thing in the world but I could see the appeal in that if you aren't interested on fiddling with hardware to do some simple computer things with a TV, and as a bonus it's compact too.

Whatever the case, it seems to have gotten Atari'd and seems to have gotten stuck, probably as Atari is looking for some way to fuck up the whole thing as usual.

Both will head the same direction as Ouya. Amico is even worse with controllers that look like a Zune. I get it they are like the original systems but it's not the early 80s. Game controllers button layout has been standardized. Also since this is for kids they would want something closer to an Xbox controller and yet the Amico controller is only familiar with someone over the age for 40. Seems rather tone deaf.

Because 10-year-olds want this.

Yeah, the new one is a touch screen instead of overlays but ask Dreamcast & Wii U how well consoles with screens in the controller turn out. PS4 touchpad is never used and no one bought a Vita for remote play. Xbox Smartglass never went anywhere either.

What poor kid when seeing his friends with a PS4 of Switch or Xbox and he/she sits there with an Amico. Lol. I remember working at Gamestop and some moms would come in asking for an Xcube. Not knowing there is both an Xbox and a Gamecube. This thing might be bought by those moms but just about any kid will be seriously let down getting this.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Those Intellivision controllers are amazing for Burger Time. Try playing that game on the NES with the main pad or Advantage, and you'll cry. It's like trying to play Kaboom with anything other than an Atari paddle controller.

I think it's cool that this thing is using a controller that is different from the attack of the clones out there. I mean, there's almost no difference between a Switch pro, Xbox or PS4 controller. I'm all for anything that bucks that trend.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

There's a VERY off chance I pick this up for the channel and test it. The idea of a new Earthworm Jim is appealing, though.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

So, I watched the recording of their livestream over at Facebook. To sum it up:
    - It ain't gonna be a platformer
    - It's gonna be couch coop focused
    - Won't even be a launch title
    It's amazing and sad that Tommy Tallarico himself was able to get together the guys who basically made my childhood, make them work on a new Earthworm Jim game... just to crush my hopes by making it a multiplayer focused God-knows-what exclusive to a console that's not likely to even be sold in my country.
    Formerly known as -RT

So, a random, multiplayer game with EarthWorm Jim in it.

In a console that nobody cares about.

Sounds successful.

Thread Information