Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atari Lynx VS Genesis (and TG-16)?

Default Atari Lynx VS Genesis (and TG-16)?

There's some discussion here about the Lynx being more capable than the Sega Genesis or TG-16

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-a...s-old.1478041/

The OP actually believe this . I don't know much about the Lynx hardware though, maybe some more informed people here can shine some light?

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

It's NeoGAF.

Someone on here recently said that the Lynx was the most powerful portable system until GBA.

If you value only hardware pixelization effects, then it's definitely true. Having a resolution so low that everything looks pixelized in the first place would be an even greater trait.

Most on here who voice their opinions value realtime effects over actual art/animation/shading/color.. but discount it on SNES. So they likely won't champion the Lynx either.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Lynx could be more powerful than the Turbo and Genesis combined for all I care.

Still wouldn't change that I can't seem to recognize a single game on it that would make it worth owning.

The Lynx was a brilliant system. Its utterly pointless to try and compare it a console, when it was designed to run on a Handheld screen. I will say a couple of area's it did better than the Snes was it allowed scailing of all objects/Cells on the screen and I liked the fact that the sound hardware support over 4 samples chanels, which is somthing the MD couldn't equal . Also I belive, it was the 1st system that shipped with developer tools and libraries as standard, something at the time the MD or Snes didn't.

It's just sad, that the 1st unit was so big and eat batteries like no tomorrow and it was Atari name on the system
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    The Lynx could be more powerful than the Turbo and Genesis combined for all I care.

Still wouldn't change that I can't seem to recognize a single game on it that would make it worth owning.
    I dunno, it's got probably the best version of Blockout.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

neogaf is still alive?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Can't we just enjoy consoles for what they are without needing to compare them, as if that somehow makes them more legitimate?

...Who am I kidding, it's the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Can't we just enjoy consoles for what they are without needing to compare them, as if that somehow makes them more legitimate?
    Nothing wrong with comparing. Tbh It happens all the time not just with videogames, cars, Films but in sports; with one team being compared to another. Sure it can get silly and even sadly nasty at times, but it at least stimulates debate and sometimes give fans point scoring opportunities
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I have a Lynx, scored it for $5 at a yard sale. I'd coveted one since I was a kid -- a girl I knew had it.

It's a fun little console, and the games I've played so far are reasonably well-made. Blue Lightning is basically a tech demo masquerading as a game, but it's a very good tech demo. Chip's Challenge is fun.

Haven't discovered a "killer app" on the system yet, maybe there isn't one, but since I enjoyed Slime World on the Genesis I'll probably like the allegedly-superior Lynx version even more. I have a flash cart for the system, which has been very solid so far.

As for which system is more capable...I mean, it's neat that the Lynx can do sprite scaling, and it was way ahead of its time in that regard. But when you're talking about a portable system with low screen resolution vs. a console with much higher resolution, most comparisons of that kind are going to be apples to oranges, or at least apples to pears.

It's not like there's only one metric for a system's power, either. The Intellivision can do multidirectional scrolling in hardware and the ColecoVision can't, but that doesn't make the Intellivision more powerful, just better able to do that particular thing. The Atari 2600 can generate 128 colors on screen, the Odyssey^2 can push more sprites than its competitors, etc., etc.

Why waste time trying to anoint a winner when you could be playing games instead? Are console wars just a proxy for a person's daily frustrations -- something where they're not brave enough to face up to the real demons in their lives, so they use advocacy for a console as a kind of outlet for their aggression? It's all very strange.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Why waste time trying to anoint a winner when you could be playing games instead? Are console wars just a proxy for a person's daily frustrations -- something where they're not brave enough to face up to the real demons in their lives, so they use advocacy for a console as a kind of outlet for their aggression? It's all very strange.
    Pretty much. It's all good fun to look at tech specs and talk about what a console is capable of, but once it devolves into subjective "this console is more powerful/better than that one" (what does that even mean??), it starts to feel like people are arguing for the sake of arguing.

These old systems are not like the Xbox One vs the PS4 where it is essentially the same hardware, except one has DDR3 + ESRAM and the other GDDR5.
    What makes old machines so interesting from an engineering POV is just how different they are from each other. Tradeoff after tradeoff resulting in wildly different implementations.
    A Mega Drive isn't even strictly more powerful than a Master System since the MS can play SG-1000 games.

I've wasted so much time of my life correcting people on the internet about the capabilities of these machines (looking at you TA, though you got better), and then posts like that show up and I just facepalm again. No the Lynx is not more powerful than a TG-16. It is drawing 1/4 the number of pixels, it only manages 16 colours onscreen, and the audio is much much weaker. And the TG-16 can't scale sprites like crazy and do fancy multi layered scrolling. Tradeoffs.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

The Lynx is a great system but aside from the hardware scaling, it's obviously weaker than the 16-bit era consoles in many ways. Lynx Toki > Genesis Toki, though.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Haven't discovered a "killer app" on the system yet, maybe there isn't one, but since I enjoyed Slime World on the Genesis I'll probably like the allegedly-superior Lynx version even more. I have a flash cart for the system, which has been very solid so far.
    I would get a Lynx if I could think of a game worth getting it for.

Games like Ninja Gaiden III or Rygar seem to come to my mind, but never feel like a sure thing.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    I would get a Lynx if I could think of a game worth getting it for.
    Games like Ninja Gaiden III or Rygar seem to come to my mind, but never feel like a sure thing.
    Are you only interested in 2d sidescrollers for it? I think the Lynx's strength is more in its 3d scaler games. Ninja Gaiden III is like a worse version of the NES game. Rygar's quite good and based on the arcade version.

Zaku's a neat Air Zonk-inspired shooter.

The best thing to do if you're unsure is to try some games on an emulator like Handy.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I have Zaku. It's a pretty bizarre shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    I dunno, it's got probably the best version of Blockout.
    Road Blasters is a pretty good arcade port as well. Itís probably my most played game on the Lynx.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05-05-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information