Quantcast

Thread: Comix Zone level 2 challenge

Default Comix Zone level 2 challenge

I was looking at Sega Channel tickets out of boredom and found this:
    CHALLENGE!
    The Circle of Knights bring you a challenge that will keep you up all Knight! In Comix Zone, get through level 2 without losing any energy. It's tricky, but it can be done!
    I'm not sure if they mean level 1-2 or levels 2-1 + 2-2, but bear in mind that punching enemies drains energy (stupidest design decision in that game, seriously), so just about the only other way I can think to attack would be to use the rat. Or am I missing some other way to attack that doesn't drain energy?

Is anybody here up to the challenge?

Nameless One

I think that kicking doesn't make you take damage. Now I gotta go play Comix Zone again...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nitelich's Avatar

Jumping and kicking doesn't cause the player damage.

Here's a run on Youtube of someone beating all three stage bosses without taking damage.

It took me ages to beat the game normally. I don't think I'm up for beating any one stage/sub-stage without taking damage.
    Managed memory, in my VDP? It's more likely than you think.
    Expand your ROM size with this one weird pointer dereference (Fonzie hates them).

Keeping the list of new physically released homebrew games up to date! ...And looking to buy a few I've missed.

Decided to look up if somebody had done a No Damage run of Comix Zone and yepÖ on a Russian hack lol:

(note that despite the video title there isn't anybody speaking on top of the game's music)

And yeah, after watching several videos it seems only the basic punch really hurts you? Because that's the only thing being avoided. And even then it isn't consistent. What's the exact logic behind getting hurt when you try to hit something?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    And yeah, after watching several videos it seems only the basic punch really hurts you? Because that's the only thing being avoided. And even then it isn't consistent. What's the exact logic behind getting hurt when you try to hit something?
    It covers up the fact that the game is extremely short by making it even more difficult to beat. There's literally no other logical reason for it. Ideally, the game would be much longer, and the punch wouldn't hurt you, but budgets and timelines to get the game into stores, yadda yadda. "Idk, Tom. The entire game can be finished in 15 minutes once the player learns the stage layout." "Well, then make it hard as eff. That'll give the little bastards something to do." Hahaha, or something along those lines.

You could say that it mimics real life in that when you punch something, your hand will hurt, but the game's about a guy who is sucked into a make believe comic world, so that doesn't really fly.

No, I mean under what exact circumstances does punching result in getting hurt? I had assumed that every punch would reduce your health (albeit by a subpixel amount) but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

^I havenít played for a while but I thought your fists only take damage when youíre hitting something harmful? Including inanimate objects, like punching blocks etc. I donít think u take damage when simply attacking enemies, though... someone correct me if Iím wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    ^I havenít played for a while but I thought your fists only take damage when youíre hitting something harmful? Including inanimate objects, like punching blocks etc. I donít think u take damage when simply attacking enemies, though... someone correct me if Iím wrong...
    That's how I remember it as well: Punching through the cell borders or steel doors causes you damage; destroying them in a different manner (explosives, or hurling an enemy through them) doesn't. So I guess that's what the challenge is referring to.

I figure it gets easier when you can use a six-button-pad, since you can access the inventory directly with the top buttons and can use the C button for "specials" like the Scissor kick or Shaolin kick.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

^That's cool, I don't think I ever tried the special functions of the 6-button pad.

...But to try to clarify the question of when punching causes damage: IIRC it's only when the object is something that makes sense, that it's harmful to a person's hands.

So punching inanimate objects causes damage, because it makes sense. (Real life punching things does hurt our fists, like punching walls etc.)

However I don't think that it causes damage to punch regular enemies. (Because apparently punching people's faces won't hurt your fists.)

IIRC the game makes sense for what hurts your fists, and what doesn't. But someone correct me if I'm wrong; it was never a big focus for me, in the game.

Kicking also makes sense that it does NOT cause damage because it makes sense for wearing thick boots or shoes lol.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    No, I mean under what exact circumstances does punching result in getting hurt? I had assumed that every punch would reduce your health (albeit by a subpixel amount) but it doesn't seem to be the case.
    I replayed Comix Zone some months ago, and I remember that punches decrease your health bar, especially objects.
    Not sure about kicks.

Master of Shinobi

You can use the special moves without the 6-button pad, with some d-pad combinations. I thinks scissors kick is down, up, punch, the shoulder tackle is back, forward, punch, and the shaolin kick is up, down, punch. However you don't have any commands for Macho Yell, nor for manual blocking. You also don't have a command for that move you do at the end of the up+forward+punch combo (aerial split kick?).

The shoulder tackle does the most damage to you when you use it on walls, but it also breaks them the fastest. I wonder if the damage is proportional, or if it is actually reduced if you use that move instead of punching.

Thread Information