Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $134.99 for a licensed reproduction cart is lame

Nameless One

Genesis $134.99 for a licensed reproduction cart is lame

Just heard that Eartworm Jim 1 & 2 are being sold as a new combo cart. This is a 25th anniversary SNES cart, which is a cool idea. Behind curious, I checked it out wondering if there might, just maybe there's Genesis cart too and holy crap, the SNES game is $134.99. just wow, that's too much money. Not only that, 1 out of so many are a special cow design. So you want the cow design cartridge, you need buy ten of them hope you get one and then resale then others on eBay.

I get it, retro gaming is popular but this just seems like price gouging. What do you'all think?

Death Adder's minion

Manufacturers seem to think retro gamers will throw money at anything, and for the most part it seems they are right.
    I am often amazed at some of the things people will throw money at in this hobby.
    There must be a market for it because they keep cranking this stuff out, but personally I don't buy things like this.

It's especially funny when you consider you can buy both of the original carts for less than they are asking for a reprint.
    There was a reproduction of Street Fighter 2 for SNES recently that was done with much the same marketing and glow in the dark carts, that one even came with a warning that it could set your system on fire, Again you could buy the original carts for less than they were asking.

In my opinion It is gouging, and it will only stop if people stop paying silly prices for this type of thing, but until that happens these guys are gonna keep charging what they do.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

It's a rip off gouging of a licensed property based on nostalgia. The problem is that there are plenty of "collectors" who fall for this nonsense. It doesn't help that plenty of Youtubers will promote anything to get a freebie making the problem even worse. I can understand $60 - $75, but $135? Redumbculous.

WCPO Agent

I'm not surprised. A $50 game 25 years ago would be around $85 today with inflation, plus they are being made in much lower quantities now. I certainly won't be buying one but it's not like there aren't other options to play Earthworm Jim in 2019, nobody is being forced to buy this.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Agreed. Anyone who wants to play Earthworm Jim can and has been able to for years via numerous methods. It's even been available for download for just about every modern console. This is for collectors, not gamers. No reason for anyone to get their dander up. The big EJ homers will buy it to display on their shelves.

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

It's not even a Genesis cart, it's a SNES cart, so it's lame by default.
    Formerly known as -RT

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

Stick to my earthworm jim on Sega cd. I'm a huge ewj fan but thats going a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    It's not even a Genesis cart, it's a SNES cart, so it's lame by default.
    LOL repped!

Nameless One

He he

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Random Hajile View Post
    Manufacturers seem to think retro gamers will throw money at anything, and for the most part it seems they are right.
    Agreed. That's why everyone and their mother are releasing coffee table books filled with pixel art and nice photos of games and hardware.

I think buying these official re-releases, especially for more rare titles, seems like it has more value than Chinese repros in a collectible-driven retro enthusiast market --like these people believe the purchase is an investment.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I know there is debate as to the ethics of repro carts but I just don't think someone should charge more than $30. I personally will not spend more than $15. For eBay ones, I am not totally against them if they are A. not passing themselves as the real thing. B. For already highly rare games like a MUSHA, Earthbound, etc. C. A translated game that otherwise not released in the west. Earthworm were decent games but not $135 worth at all.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I'm not surprised. A $50 game 25 years ago would be around $85 today with inflation, plus they are being made in much lower quantities now. I certainly won't be buying one but it's not like there aren't other options to play Earthworm Jim in 2019, nobody is being forced to buy this.
    Retail Games back in the day were priced that way so that multiple entities (retailer, publisher) could make a profit. They involved dozens perhaps hundreds of employees at the companies that developed and published them.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Ha! That is indeed ridiculous but neither does it surprise me. Prices in the whole retro gaming scene are reaching frankly WTF levels at this point, as I mentioned in the thread I made on the subject of Ebay prices in the Mega CD section, but this however is a whole new level of insane to me. I mean hypothetically speaking if I am refusing to spend stupid amounts on an actual original copy of an old game being sold on Ebay, why in the name of Hades would I want to spend an equally stupid amount on a reproduction?! Like I've said before though companies and individual sellers and re-sellers are only charging these amounts because they know people will pay it, and they're right! In any event I have Earthworm Jim on the Mega Drive and Mega CD so I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I know there is debate as to the ethics of repro carts but I just don't think someone should charge more than $30. I personally will not spend more than $15. For eBay ones, I am not totally against them if they are A. not passing themselves as the real thing. B. For already highly rare games like a MUSHA, Earthbound, etc. C. A translated game that otherwise not released in the west. Earthworm were decent games but not $135 worth at all.
    Except these aren't reproduction carts. This is (AFAIK) an authorized licensed release and not just some reproductions here. As such part of the cost is because there is more than one hand that gets a piece of the cost of each one sold in this case. That impacts the cost of these kinds of releases.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

How am I supposed to know if it's a repro or not when there is no link? So does this look like a SNES cart or is it more like those carts from Retrobit? Those are $35.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information