Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: busting 32x performance myths

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    WWF on the SNES is on a much smaller cart. It doesnít even have 2 of the characters, because of the cut down cart. Itís a horrible port.
    It doesn't matter, even if they used a bigger cartridge, the SNES wouldn't be able to put 4 wrestlers on screen at the same time without crawling at 5fps, even cutting the frame rate at a fixed 30fps like on the 32X, still I would like to know if the 32X could have had a better, more fluid version of these titles, specially since Darkstalkers and SSF2X were announced for the 32x at some point.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chinitosoccer View Post
    It doesn't matter, even if they used a bigger cartridge, the SNES wouldn't be able to put 4 wrestlers on screen at the same time without crawling at 5fps, even cutting the frame rate at a fixed 30fps like on the 32X, still I would like to know if the 32X could have had a better, more fluid version of these titles, specially since Darkstalkers and SSF2X were announced for the 32x at some point.
    The stock Mega Drive can do Darkstalkers and SSFIIX just fine. The main bottleneck is rom size.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Yeah, but with the aid of the 32x it could have better sprites (more color) as it was seen in MK2 and WWF arcade compared to the stock Megadrive versions, bigger rom size doesn't guarantee more colors and bigger sprites.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Yeah, but with the aid of the 32x it could have better sprites (more color) as it was seen in MK2 and WWF arcade compared to the stock Megadrive versions, bigger rom size doesn't guarantee more colors and bigger sprites.
    Errr weird argument. To store more colour data and bigger sprites you need more ROM or an amazing compression algorithm 🤪 The 32x had the limited ROM like the MD and as Black_Tiger says the MD could do both of the games you mentioned with more ROM!

CPS2 cel shaded style suits the Mega Drive's color quirks better than typical CPS1 games. But more importantly is MD ports would run at 60fps. Why choose a 32X version if it won't play as well?
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

If size (graphic assets) is an issue, you can stick with 4bits and do the palette stuff manually on the 32x. Gives you sub-palettes as well as the larger master palette range. There's nothing that says the 32x has to use 8bit pixels or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Errr weird argument. To store more colour data and bigger sprites you need more ROM or an amazing compression algorithm 🤪 The 32x had the limited ROM like the MD and as Black_Tiger says the MD could do both of the games you mentioned with more ROM!
    Do you really think that if Capcom and/or Probe had used bigger rom cartridges for their SF2-SSF2 and MK ports they could have overcome the color limitations of the MD ??

In my opinion, while you are correct on your statement: "more rom more colors" = more info to transfer to the screen, in terms of the MD hardware a bigger cartridge wouldn't have improved graphics too much color wise, I mean.. I don't think that the 40mbit cart of SSF2 and even he 20 mbit cartridge of Mk2 supposed a noticeable limitation to the simultaneous number of colors a MD can put on the screen.
    Last edited by chinitosoccer; 03-25-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Do you really think that if Capcom and/or Probe had used bigger rom cartridges for their SF2-SSF2 and MK ports they could have overcome the color limitations of the MD ??

In my opinion, while you are correct on your statement: "more rom more colors" = more info to transfer to the screen, in terms of the MD hardware a bigger cartridge wouldn't have improved graphics too much color wise, I mean.. I don't think that the 40mbit cart of SSF2 and even he 20 mbit cartridge of Mk2 supposed a noticeable limitation to the simultaneous number of colors a MD can put on the screen.
    As has been stated once or twice, Capcom's CPS2 art style better suits the Mega Drive's color bottlenecks more than traditional 16-bit arcade and console games.

When you combine the higher resolution and amount of animation the MD can handle, the end result would create an illusion in your brain, the way that fmv does. The clear fluid animating objects would keep your attention.

The jerky animation and awkward poses of Mortal Kombat games kills the benefit of live action models.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    The PAL machine runs at 50Hz vs the JPN machine at 59,82Hz (as repoted by OSSC), this corresponds to the roughly 20% speed boost on all figures: 20% less video frames to draw roughly equals 20% more time available for doing CPU work.
    PAL Saturn is not actually 20% faster. The benchmark was assuming 60Hz and using V-blanks to keep time, so all results have 20% error instead.

Master of Shinobi

In that case, may I ask for the bug to be fixed? There are plenty of timers on the Saturn to use, but of course you could also just detect the frame rate if you want to use the same code for the 32x too.

It would be also interesting to have test speeds for the 1/4mb RAM expansions, the sound memory, and perhaps the CD Block memory (but that one may be trickier to do). Only if you have the time to add these, of course.

I very much want to run these on multiple different Saturns, to see if there are any differences in the speed for different models. I was told that things like the manufacturer of the memory chips can make slight differences, and some Saturn models use SGRAM instead of SDRAM.

Thread Information