Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who still collects?

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Legend77 View Post
    I've moved into other regions as well as the miscellaneous items as well. I feel I'm probably one of the few dedicated 32x collectors left.
    I collect 32X, have 13 games left to buy in PAL that are "attainable". Darxide, T-Mek, Primal Rage... I can't see myself ever obtaining or forking out for, so I have a reproduction set of those three (can clearly tell they are reproductions).

Collecting for multiple systems runs you thin so I try stick to a budget now, have just over 4,000 games complete in box in the library and I went crazy buying up things over the last 10 years. Pulled back now though and only try to buy games that are either a great deal/a steal, or games I must play when they arrive. This is across all Nintendo, PlayStation, Sega and XBox.

For Sega I'm stting at:
    SMS: 207 games
    SMD: 333 games
    32X: 19 games
    SMCD: 77 games
    Saturn: 140 games
    DC: 159 games

Intent is still a full PAL set, though there's no rush, figured if it takes a lifetime it takes a lifetime.

I used to collect for multiples, but as time has gone on I stuck to just one. Once I get most or all the 32X stuff I can, I will probably stop. Collecting takes a huge toll!
    I am Mr_32X

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Spendle's Avatar

I bought my PAL 32x 16 years ago for £80 ($100). It's boxed, in great condition with manual and also came with 8 CIB games which I've added to. I remember at the time wondering if I was over-paying even though it was in great condition. Fast forward 16 years and I'm shocked how much the hardware alone commands on eBay - the PAL games are also overpriced. It's one of the reasons I stopped actively seeking 32X stuff as you can't help but feel like people are ripping you off. Still can't help feel a pang of jealousy when reading other people's collections but I'm staying disciplined and only buying games I want to play on MD, 32X, Mega-CD or DC - it's a constant internal battle though!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spendle View Post
    I bought my PAL 32x 16 years ago for £80 ($100). It's boxed, in great condition with manual and also came with 8 CIB games which I've added to. I remember at the time wondering if I was over-paying even though it was in great condition. Fast forward 16 years and I'm shocked how much the hardware alone commands on eBay - the PAL games are also overpriced. It's one of the reasons I stopped actively seeking 32X stuff as you can't help but feel like people are ripping you off. Still can't help feel a pang of jealousy when reading other people's collections but I'm staying disciplined and only buying games I want to play on MD, 32X, Mega-CD or DC - it's a constant internal battle though!
    Fellow PAL collector here. I focus on my Mega Drive, Mega CD and Saturn collections mostly, and occasionally add a Dreamcast game here and there. I don't own a 32X as I was never particularly interested in it's small and very limited library, with the exception of Knuckles Chaotix, but the prices being commanded for it on Ebay these days are beyond a joke. Collecting retro games has never been more expensive, and I'm just glad that I bought my most valuable games many years ago when they were still relatively cheap. I even treated myself to a SNES not so long ago, and bought myself several games that I always wanted for it. Holy shit, the prices! Collecting CIB Sega stuff is crazy expensive these days, but buying CIB PAL SNES games is just on another level of insanity. That's one system I'll just be collecting a very small and select library for!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

PAL 32X (and Sega in general) seems to have a like higher prices, maybe it's just the print numbers or the economics of collecting over there.

I've got a couple Euro MegaCD exclusive games I'd like to get to have all the regional exclusives but prices on a couple of them are just way beyond what I could afford on a single game.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

For those with PAL 32x games, which one is your favourite to play and why?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Spendle View Post
    For those with PAL 32x games, which one is your favourite to play and why?
    Virtua Racing Deluxe, although I usually play the Japanese version rather than the PAL version as I have both. It's just a great game! The only PAL exclusive I have is FIFA 96, and I don't like that much.

I don't really collect for the 32x to be honest. I've got most of the games I was interested in, and I'm not paying stupid prices for the ones I don't have; they're just not worth it.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I haven't been actively collecting games for years. In the past, I spent a couple / few years buying almost everything I ever wanted. And I didn't really keep following newer games lol so I'm mostly satisfied.

Genesis (and 32x) I have carts of almost every game I'd want; Sega CD I bought some games, and I actually burned a pretty extensive library back then; I also used to collect a few highlight games on Game Gear, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

I also have good memories with friends attached to some games. Back then, living with friends, Dreamcast Marvel vs Capcom 2 was extremely fun.

I don't have much else that I still want. Some oddball items like I have the 1st Ecco the Dolphin LCD Game but I still need his 2nd LCD game lol.

I don't play a lot of videogames lately but as for my actual gameplay, I think hacks are the most interesting, like hacks of Sonic 1 and 2, there are never-ending hacks always coming out.

Original homebrew games are also very interesting of course.

Outrunner

I've never wanted complete libraries, so when I had my 32X I had just a handful of games for it. The whole thing was just too much, though. I haven't missed it at all since selling it. Genesis alone is really all I need.

Seems to me that a number of people used to collect for the 32X but gave up with it/moved on. Can't say I actively collect for it these days due to the prohibitive price of games but I'll always keep an eye out for something reasonably priced (probably why I haven't bought anything for it for over 5 years!)

Having said that, there has to be a good few people out there buying up 32X games otherwise the high prices wouldn't be sustained, just not active on this forum

Nameless One

PAL FIFA Ď96 recent sold on eBay for over £100 ! When I had my collecting spurt this was one of the cheapies at around £20.
    Looks like itís exclusivity has rocked the price up. Thing is I used to own it BITD and the game feels like a beta version.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    PAL FIFA Ď96 recent sold on eBay for over £100 ! When I had my collecting spurt this was one of the cheapies at around £20.
    Looks like itís exclusivity has rocked the price up. Thing is I used to own it BITD and the game feels like a beta version.
    Wait does this mean my 4Ä PAL copy bought in 2013 is worth more than 100Ä now? Are you sure you didn't add a zero by mistake? Wait you are probably not talking about Mega Drive are you? Oh well, just noticed I'm in the 32X forum
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

This got me thinking a bit about what kind of situation I used to love collecting. There were a few factors at the time: I was revisiting Genesis for the first time since I was a kid, so it was great reading about all the games on this site. Then I could buy games for about $5 loose carts, next to my grocery store, whenever I went shopping. And I had friends I could show the games to.

Sega CD I bought some games but also burned a ton of games, and I was excited about burning CD's and DVD's at the time.

Plus I also couldn't run emulators at the time. Nowadays, I have most games I ever wanted, plus I can use emulators to run old games and hacks, which is actually the type of Genesis games that are most interesting to me now.

More advanced consoles I'd rather use real hardware than emulation, including Sega CD, not to mention Saturn, etc. Because more advanced stuff is impressive that it's being done on real hardware, plus I'd want to make sure it runs accurately.

But I don't mind emulating Genesis etc. because I know the emulation is solid.

I still use my actual Genesis for some things like Pier Solar, impressive on the console, and Chess is rare and awesome for the console. So things like this seem special on the real hardware. And I love the Sega brand wireless controllers, very comfortable.

But yeah usually for things like Genesis and its hacks, I'll go with emulation... And as for collecting, there's just not much that I still want, especially that I really haven't followed modern games for many years. Like pretty much after Dreamcast, everything has become just very advanced 3D graphics that I mostly find boring, just like Hollywood superhero movies are all just special effects that I find boring. Nowadays I think the most interesting 3D graphics I've seen have been for space simulation games.

Actually I want the 3DS version of Ecco the Dolphin at some point, so I'll have to buy a 3DS, except there's also an emulator that I'd really love to get working. With magic eye style 3D, I think it would be awesome...

Master of Shinobi

Yeah, I saw that. I was tempted to sell my copy, but it also seems to be one of those games where the sale price can fluctuate a lot.

Thing is I used to own it BITD and the game feels like a beta version.
    I get that same feeling with a lot of 32X games. My personal favourite is Doom as it doesn't have the beta feel and I can happily play it over and over again.

The one game I would like to own is Knuckles Chaotix. It annoys me that I passed up the chance 10 years or so ago and the prices on ebay now are stupid. If anyone ever decides to offload a PAL version then hit me up!

Thread Information