Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who still collects?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I like to think I have a pretty good eye for what's repro, or original. It actually takes a hell of a lot of effort to make a 1 to 1 of anything. I've made some of my own game boxes using hours of Photoshop, scanners, and a high-end ink jet. The best equipment and assets available to the general public still kinda pales in comparison to the industrialized process of things, even 30 years in the past. Nothin' repro ever looks quite right.
    I agree if I've got it in my hands, but pictures online for a lot of stuff can be deceiving. There's a local media store near me that sells retro stuff and I'm always suspicious about stuff that looks "too mint" to be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Oh man. There's a guy who recently listed a bunch of 32x stuff on eBay... and they're all like super grossly overpriced, even for COVID madness prices. Like $690 for Knuckles Chaotix, which is roughly a $200 game. The rest of his listing are similarly overblown in price. $80 for Cosmic Carnage, a $25 game. $400 for Zaxxon, a $120 game. Sad, because he actually has a few titles I'd spend good money for, had he listed them for the real prices. It's either a joke, or he kinda wants a quick few grand for something, but doesn't want it enough to actually part with his stuff.

I've actually become a seller on eBay recently. I stocked up big time on all of the Sega systems when no one seemed to want them. I sold one JVC X'EYE on eBay recently. It paid for all seven of them that I bought back in the day! I started the auction at $215 and it went up from there. I have about 14 Sega Genesis' with Sega CDs between model ones and twos lined up to go on there. I'm not pricing things high like most I see, but the bidders send them up way higher than I would ever pay. I am going to keep one of each variation and sell the rest. I can't argue with 500 to 1000% profits!

The games I will hold onto though. I still want to play them! Also, I read on here earlier that Knuckles Chaotix doesn't work on a Model 2? It worked fine on a unit I sold recently. I will try another and take pics if it does.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

The Knuckles Chaotix crashing issue happens on a specific revision of either the 32x or Genesis, I forget which, but there are a few threads about it in Tech Aid. I haven't had it happen to me before, but it is a well documented issue. User Ace has an excellent thread there stickied which examines the multiple revisions of the different consoles and shows you how to tell which revision you have.

Lurker Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

Collecting has become super stupid! I've ducked out for years but I have a strong Genesis/SegaCD/32X collection and I wouldn't even think about trying to collect now. I think 2006-2009 was the heyday...I bought a 32X complete in box unopened for $40 in those days, you could get just about any console save a few for under a $100 in the box with manuals/cables etc. Everything now is way over-priced and the condition mostly sucks. Its a scam now, I keep hoping more and more retro releases will hurt the collector market but I'm proven wrong constantly...Oh well...

There Can Only Be One
    He Will Rise Again (Once I've Located The Original Signatures )

Wildside Expert

I have laid off collecting games seriously for about 3 years as I was upgrading and collecting gadgets for my systems, two Terroronion modes, Mega SD, Everdrive, 3D Glasses, Sports Pad, Paddle controller, light guns, mouses, etc.

Having got all the peripherals I wanted, I looked at returning to finish off some game collecting I wanted and was shocked at how stupid current prices are !

Luckily I got most of the Mega Drive, 32X and Saturn big hitters before it blew up this big, but I don't think I will be able to get all the games I want on original now.

Which sometimes makes be wonder, now owning the Modes and Mega SD, Everdrives etc. Are my games now just shelf candy ?
    I play all my Saturn, Dreamcast through Mode and MD and CD through Mega SD.

Are we ever going to get over the fact that values continue to climb? Give it ten years and everyone here will be giving their explanation of how it's all overpriced in 2032, but at least the prices were sensible back in 2022.

I stopped collecting years ago. If someone offered me cheap games I probably wouldn't turn them down, but I haven't been actively looking to add to my collection since 2016.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Are we ever going to get over the fact that values continue to climb? Give it ten years and everyone here will be giving their explanation of how it's all overpriced in 2032, but at least the prices were sensible back in 2022.

I stopped collecting years ago. If someone offered me cheap games I probably wouldn't turn them down, but I haven't been actively looking to add to my collection since 2016.
    I think it was Goldenband that once said every system dies twice, Sega and Nintendo are in a boom bubble at the moment as their fans are at an age where they probably have more disposable income and strong nostalgia.

Once that generation 'ages out' what then ? Does the market reduce ?
    I've not looked, but how has the market for 70's systems like the 2600, Colecovision, etc changed ? Is that still as expensive or did the prices stabilise ?

You youngsters…in 2008 just as an example you could buy a CIB Sonic 3 for $5-$10! The game is going for $60+ now and back then everything was inexpensive, hell I bought Snatcher for SEGA CD for $60 back then and I balked. It isn’t nostalgia, I remember vividly when prices started skyrocketing when AVGN and Screwattack started getting popular. Paying anything more than $50 for a Genesis game was unheard of, it’s simply stupid now because almost none of this stuff is really rare. I mean I’m sorry if something is “rare” you shouldn’t be able to find it whenever you want with a quick search. I get the whole market forces thing, but I dispute the nostalgia aspect…it’s probably Joe Biden’s fault.

There Can Only Be One

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    I think it was Goldenband that once said every system dies twice, Sega and Nintendo are in a boom bubble at the moment as their fans are at an age where they probably have more disposable income and strong nostalgia.

Once that generation 'ages out' what then ? Does the market reduce ?
    I've not looked, but how has the market for 70's systems like the 2600, Colecovision, etc changed ? Is that still as expensive or did the prices stabilise ?
    In the late 90s/early aughts, Atari 2600 prices boomed. Then, with the exception of the rare stuff, they came back down. Now, I've noticed they're priced higher again when I see them in shops. Nothing crazy, but common popular titles that for years were in the dollar bins often have 5-10 usd posted on them. But that's an example of a system whose collector base was primarily around 15 years older than the primary collector base of the Genesis/SNES.

I can remember in the 2010ish era when Air Raid sold on ebay for over $30K. It made news like Yahoo news and whatnot and was a big deal. And a few other copies sold shortly thereafter. Within 5 years, rare NES games like Stadium Events and the NWC carts were approaching those prices. So it would make sense that some of the bigger 16-bit rarities would be taking off like that around now or in the near future.

Of course, the market has changed quite a bit the last few years with sealed graded games becoming such a major part of the hobby and getting media coverage. I think that throws a wrench in things to some extent. That and the covid boom which has driven up prices in all collectables, not just games, but particularly sports cards, coins and comics. That doesn't seem sustainable longterm, but I don't think game prices will drop back to pre-pandemic prices any time soon. They're certainly likely to plateau and perhaps drop a bit, but I think that cat is out of the bag for the foreseeable future. You have to account for general inflation as well when you're tracking prices/values over a long term like this.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

One thing I've noticed is that Nintendo/Sega have a lot of younger-than-the-console-generation fans (myself included) who tend to show off their collections frequently on social media, at least in comparison to the market for any of the other home systems of the 1970s-2010s, and the oversaturation of newcomers to the collection market driven in part thanks to social media and the lack of resupply has led to an increase in prices particularly in North America: they were always higher here anyway due to PALism, and most of the newcoming collectors are US based from my experiences, so yeah.
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

I just seem to remember well that when AVGN and Screw-Attack were gaining traction, the whole used game market changed. Suddenly YouTube was infested with retro-game reviewers and the prices started exploding. Just about everything out there could be found "in the wild" at thrift stores, flea-markets etc. for next to nothing. There was still definitely rare and expensive stuff: Saturn, Turbografx CD, Neo Geo AES were very expensive and hard to find and expensive but nothing like today. Everything was very accessible back then and the really failed systems were very cheap. You could get FZ-1 Panasonic 3DO systems in the box, unopened NOS for $99 from game stores that specialized in "retro" games (like Game Dude which was a huge retailer out here in North Hollywood) and they always had a healthy selection of CIB games from 3DO/Jaguar/Sega CD/32X for under $25 for most of the libraries. Game Dude is still around but they are cleaned out of retro games, completely.

I mean they sold CIB Vectorman for $1.99 back then-not joking. I think because "Nerd Culture" has been normalized and is a "thing" and the uninitiated have been exposed to all of this stuff it has become a life-style for a lot of people. I would never consider myself a member of the "nerd" community despite the fact that I am undoubtedly one I never collected games just to "collect." I wanted to play and own all the stuff I could never afford when I was growing up-having done that I realized why most of these systems failed and just was very content to keep my Sega Genesis/Sega CD and 32X and I sold everything else. I made some decent money, but for me it was never about the money I was just being nostalgic.

I have a great, tidy and modest collection I'm super happy with and I do not collect at all anymore. I bought he Neo Geo Mini and the Sega Genesis Mini just to have them, but I'm mostly done. I play video games a few times a year at best anymore and I'll still fire up something and play through it and enjoy it. I'm rambling, but I truly think that all of this has become a "culture" in and of itself, a full life-style and pricing will never go back to what it was-its not about nostalgia its a culture now and that will keep prices high. Who knows, that's my 2 cents having experienced such a great time to collect for systems I had no access to growing up-but I don't think those days will ever ever return. I could be dead wrong--but the internet seems to lend life-support to things that would be better off dead (like this forum apparently).
    Last edited by Tanegashima; 01-20-2022 at 10:15 PM.

There Can Only Be One

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker HyperSnugz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanegashima View Post
    I mean they sold CIB Vectorman for $1.99 back then-not joking. I think because "Nerd Culture" has been normalized and is a "thing" and the uninitiated have been exposed to all of this stuff it has become a life-style for a lot of people. I would never consider myself a member of the "nerd" community despite the fact that I am undoubtedly one I never collected games just to "collect." I wanted to play and own all the stuff I could never afford when I was growing up-having done that I realized why most of these systems failed and just was very content to keep my Sega Genesis/Sega CD and 32X and I sold everything else. I made some decent money, but for me it was never about the money I was just being nostalgic.
    Literally how I feel honestly, just wanna play the games. Now that it's become a culture thing that otherwise-uninterested people are jumping on much like anime; cosplay; even LGBT+ stuff to a point, demand is soaring and so do prices.

(It also makes me annoyed that people just like things for the aesthetics or because it's cool within a certain subculture or whatever, rather than genuinely liking it. I guess people just don't want to be themselves at all.)
    The 32X deserved to exist, if only to pave the way for the creation of the best waifu ever.

Thread Information