Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who still collects?

Nameless One

Just got the last needed game for the complete brasilian set.
    Now only need one pal and 6 US ones.
    Guardiana, the Megadrive Musem.
    Come and join us at http://www.guardiana.net !

Nice, I was just in time to fork over some expensive PAL ones for a decent price (Chaotix, Kolibri). After that the prices exploded.
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

I'm stupidly just now interested in getting serious about 32x collecting. Yeah, I know it's the worst time ever for that. The prices are atrocious. I'm only after the decent titles, I don't want all of them. Would be nice to get them CIB, maybe pick up a system box as well. That's still damn expensive, but I think I can pull it off.

I've had mine for about 8 years, maybe? Never really tinkered with it very much. My collection currently consists of - Tempo, Space Harrier, Shadow Squadron, Doom and Metal Head. I still want to pick up - Kolibri, Knuckles Chaotix, Cosmic Carnage, Blackthorne, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, T-Mek and Zaxxon... maybe Star Wars Arcade, Motocross Championship, and MK2 if felt like just padding the collection. Talking probably over grand worth of plastic and cardboard there. Hard pill to swallow, but I'd say in a few more years, a lot of things won't even be realistically attainable anymore. Collecting is fast becoming a hobby for the elite. It's gotten way more nuts than I ever thought it might, already.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

There's one guy around here who likes Motocross, but he and I and, well, just about anyone else who's played it have a differing opinion about its quality. I consider it the worst game on the console. The rest of your want list is fine. I'd put Virtua Racing at the top, that game is excellent. And perhaps MKII shouldn't be an afterthought. If you're a fan of the game, the 32x is probably the best home port you can get for it, same with NBA Jam. There is also an excellent port of After Burner if you like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    There's one guy around here who likes Motocross, but he and I and, well, just about anyone else who's played it have a differing opinion about its quality. I consider it the worst game on the console. The rest of your want list is fine. I'd put Virtua Racing at the top, that game is excellent. And perhaps MKII shouldn't be an afterthought. If you're a fan of the game, the 32x is probably the best home port you can get for it, same with NBA Jam. There is also an excellent port of After Burner if you like that one.
    Yeah, so I've heard about Motocross. I sort of consider it the SEGA answer to the also notoriously raunchy Supercross 3D on Jag, which I also own. I kind of have a soft spot for these first gen moto x games. I'm still yet to pick up Dirt Trax FX on Super NES, that one I played back in the day and consider it a decent game, actually.

After Burner yes, that one slipped my mind as I only just picked it up yesterday, cart and box for $35. Snagged it locally, and they also have MKII so maybe I'll consider grabbing that one next time. I don't own any version of NBA Jam anymore, but if I were to, I think it'd probably be between Jag and 32x.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

There's one guy around here who likes Motocross, but he and I and, well, just about anyone else who's played it have a differing opinion about its quality.
    That's probably me you're thinking of, though I'm not alone! That said, I'd never claim it's a good game, just a misunderstood one that was clearly rushed, but is more playable than its reputation. People think it's trying to be Road Rash, but it's really not.

The big thing is that there's zero rubberbanding -- if you get ahead, you stay ahead -- which I really appreciate in a racing game, as I loathe rubberbanding. In any event I enjoyed it, and I think it's miles better than Supercross 3D (which I've admittedly only played briefly).

I personally think Kolibri and Blackthorne are overrated, while Metal Head is underrated. I haven't played most of the system's shooters enough to say what I think of them; many look nice, but you really only know a game's worth once you've beaten it, and I haven't done that yet with Shadow Squadron, DarXide, Star Wars, Zaxxon, etc.

Of the FMV games, Night Trap and Fahrenheit were fine, but neither have a compelling reason to go for them vs. the Sega CD versions.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

You gotta have Star Wars arcade. That's the game that had me interested in the 32X at launch.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I stopped collecting a few years back, not just for the 32X. Prices are bonkers, what with every Ebay seller thinking every sgame they are sitting on is a gold mine and scalpers are a pain in the neck to bother with, so I don't.

And don't get me started on all that grading and sealed BS. Collecting is not fun anymore, luckily I got the most of what I wanted.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 03-29-2021 at 03:32 PM.

FUCK. I'm 0 for 2 on this 32x collecting thing, boys. I think it's a sign I should give up. The sellers on eBay are so damn shady about the stuff they sell. I've bought two different 32x games, looks good in the pics then after I get it I find out it's shit condition. First one looked good, it came with rental stickers and anti-theft stickers all over it, smelled like cigarettes, was faded on the side, and the box torn. None of that was in the picture.

Ordered a different title, looked mint in picture, "very good" listing. After I buy it, they send me pics where the UPC end of the box was cut out! Wasn't in listing pics. Fuck me, these people. Stop hiding what's wrong with your stuff you dishonest little slime balls. This dude is getting negative feedback if he doesn't make it right. "no returns", my ass. I don't pay $45 for something that's been hacked up by an eager little Johnny sending off for his mail-in or tossed about by some rental schmuck from back in '95. I want something that's a adult-owned condition, dammit.
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 03-30-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    FUCK. I'm 0 for 2 on this 32x collecting thing, boys. I think it's a sign I should give up. The sellers on eBay are so damn shady about the stuff they sell. I've bought two different 32x games, looks good in the pics then after I get it I find out it's shit condition. First one looked good, it came with rental stickers and anti-theft stickers all over it, smelled like cigarettes, was faded on the side, and the box torn. None of that was in the picture.

Ordered a different title, looked mint in picture, "very good" listing. After I buy it, they send me pics where the UPC end of the box was cut out! Wasn't in listing pics. Fuck me, these people. Stop hiding what's wrong with your stuff you dishonest little slime balls. This dude is getting negative feedback if he doesn't make it right. "no returns", my ass. I don't pay $45 for something that's been hacked up by an eager little Johnny sending off for his mail-in or tossed about by some rental schmuck from back in '95. I want something that's a adult-owned condition, dammit.
    Stuff like that you can easily file a not as described case on ebay and force the seller to accept the return.
    It sucks to deal with though, and I never understood why, as a seller you would attempt this. I mean, people clearly have eyes and can see the issues, do you expect them to just roll over and accept it?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

What's funny is that on the occasion that I buy new games off of ebay nowadays, I prefer them to have rental stickers and/or beat up labels. That way, I figure the odds of them not being fakes are much better. Hahaha
    A sad but true state of the hobby nowadays.

I didn't do it before and certainly won't start now. Nothing caught my eye back I guess. I'm fine with emulation for the occasional KC.

What's funny is that on the occasion that I buy new games off of ebay nowadays, I prefer them to have rental stickers and/or beat up labels. That way, I figure the odds of them not being fakes are much better. Hahaha
    A sad but true state of the hobby nowadays.
    I've started doing this myself. I figured if games aren't mint, dirty and tattered cases with manuals are less likely to be reproductions.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Turbo Duo R, PS1, PS2

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

You guys might want to check out ecrater.

https://www.ecrater.com/filter.php?keywords=SEGA+32X
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Turns out that I caught a break on the last one. Seller thought I was inquiring about their last remaining copy, because it took them THAT long respond to my inquiry from like several days ago when I bought. Apparently the one they send it will be in "very good" condition. Gotta watch out with Virtua Racing Deluxe, apparently they were doing some kind of mail-in where you cut the UPC out of the box. I've seen the UPC missing on several occasions. Man, I don't give a crap about the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway, I'm not ever hacking up the box of anything I care about to get a free trinket, or a subscription, or even a free damn game out of it. Not doing it. Of course, nowadays, you'd be redeeming a code online... but still. Not hacking my manuals, or boxes, or anything like that for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
    I've started doing this myself. I figured if games aren't mint, dirty and tattered cases with manuals are less likely to be reproductions.
    I like to think I have a pretty good eye for what's repro, or original. It actually takes a hell of a lot of effort to make a 1 to 1 of anything. I've made some of my own game boxes using hours of Photoshop, scanners, and a high-end ink jet. The best equipment and assets available to the general public still kinda pales in comparison to the industrialized process of things, even 30 years in the past. Nothin' repro ever looks quite right.

Thread Information