Quantcast

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultracore coming on cartridge!!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Cheers. I'll steer clear.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Fuck this shit, limited release + two designs (one cool but stuck at 50hz and one with the shitty red GENESIS crap on the side ruining the art but runs at 60hz) whats that? buy both? oh yes sure I'm not good with money take it all! oh.. too late due to limited release..

Fuck. This. SHIT. and the people who allowed it.

Why would you do a limited run when you could make more money by selling more copies? It doesn't make sense.

To lure collectors and scalpers into rushing to buy all copies like desperate hungry animals without giving it even a single thought. Remember this business model doesn't rely on the games themselves for appeal, but on rarity :​/

EDIT: and to make it clear, by that I mean making them buy now without thinking if they really want it or not. Without the "omg rare" factor it's likely that rush wouldn't have happened and everybody would have had enough time to order their copy. There's also certainly the part where it's still pretty much the only way to play it on the original console (as there was no ROM release nor dump nor was it released before on cartridge yet).

Master of Shinobi

So if the argument for not dumping modern new roms is that the cartridge is currently being sold, as it is not the case anymore, could please someone dump the rom the day they recieve the game. 1854alternativo dump the rom themselves once after each release. These guys could do the same, or charge a low cost for it, they would even get a bit more money.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

And it's already at 100€+ at eBay, as expected. Man, this sucks, I really wanted, and I wanted it for playing on a real MD, not for collecting (dust) purposes, or for reselling it for more than double the price. If people that are really interested in buying your game can't do it, you're totally doing it wrong.

Someone seriously needs to locate the Ultracore IP owners and pee on them in their sleep.

Right into in their mouths.

I wonder how they are already selling this on ebay. Seeing as it is a preorder and not yet released?

1. Advertise that your game is coming on cartridge
    2. Screw over the people who want it by making it limited release
    3. Sell like 10 carts to people so it seems like they're in the wild.
    4. Immediately sell the remaining stock on ebay for quadruple the price
    5. People will buy cuz.. it was so limited and its the only way to get it now!

WCPO Agent

For publishers it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Imagine if they printed 10,000 copies and half of them don't sell, then what do they do? So they go with a limited run and then people want to re-sell them, I say just be patient, the prices will come back down. I agree pre-orders would probably work better but not everyone wants to go with that business model.

I've sold a few physical products myself and the money to get an initial run often is often substantial, you don't want to do more than you know for sure will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Imagine if they printed 10,000 copies and half of them don't sell, then what do they do?
    Make a shorter run but leave the window open for more runs for when there's more demand. The whole business model of Strictly Limited is to purposefully not leave that window open.

EDIT: rephrasing because of a line wrap at an unfortunate position fffff

Are they putting the Hardcore and/or Ultracore roms out publicly?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

They don't have to manufacture first, sell later: open pre-orders for two weeks, and manufacture according to that. But no, let's make 999, sell with no limit per customer, make it in two batches with a countdown, take the money as fast as you can without caring for anything else.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Make a shorter run but leave the window open for more runs for when there's more demand. The whole business model of Strictly Limited is to purposefully not leave that window open.

EDIT: rephrasing because of a line wrap at an unfortunate position fffff
    Wait, they're not going to do additional runs if there's still demand?

I don't get it. Why leave money on the table? No wonder people are pissed...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Someone seriously needs to locate the Ultracore IP owners and pee on them in their sleep.

Right into in their mouths.
    I don't know...they might be into that lol.

Thread Information