Quantcast

Thread: Joshprod Arcade Racing Legends

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Pengo Joshprod Arcade Racing Legends

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Looks very promising. Nice to see a 3D racer is a possibility!
    " Do I Get a Coconut? "
    " If We Ever Get Out of this Lieutenant, I'll buy you all the coconuts you can eat! "

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I'm definitely happy that a new arcadey racer is even happening for dreamcast, I think that's great and due to the small budget etc I'm not trying to have high expectations or anything, and I think it's off to a pretty nice start but I just can't shake the feeling that it's going to feel a bit undercooked when it releases. It just looks like it would really benefit from a few more months of work. I didn't think not having lighting reflections on the cars would bother me as much as it does, and maybe I'll get used to it, but idk it kind of rubs me the wrong way. I'm definitely not an expert but the physics look a bit raw to me as well.

But there are things that I like about it despite that, and I'm definitely going to withhold judgement till I get my hands on the finished product.

I forget, does this have an option for online play?

I have many of the same sentiments, and have said so on other forums. So I don't really follow JoshProd to know what his group has done lately. However, a few years ago they ported 4X4 Jam from the Sony PSP to DC. That was the engine they used for this one, and it shows. They eventually got the "physics" to behave better, at least from the videos I've seen. There is a 2-player split screen but haven't heard about online, but I doubt it.

However, I'm with you, graphically this is looking like an N64 game on steroids, because that was the source material. Even a comparison to launch titles like Flag to Flag, Monaco, or Tokyo Xtreme, the lack of lighting, shading effects is I think a problem. For a game that was supposed to be an homage to SEGA arcade racers, it looks more like a Cruisin' USA knock off.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Exactly. I almost bought 4x4 jam lol, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. It's ugly as sin. Bought 4x4 EVO for DC instead.

Thread Information