Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Phantom Gear, kickstarter July 16th

  1. #1
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    575
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Phantom Gear, kickstarter July 16th

    Phantom Gear, a platformer previously known as Project Genesis, will get a Kickstarter starting July 16. It's developed by Bits Rule Games from Argentina, and published by Mega Cat.

    KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sis-mega-drive
    Demo: http://bitsrule.com/downloads/demo.bin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by roce; 07-16-2019 at 01:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Genesis Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,898
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Looks promising. I'll keep an eye on it.

  3. #3
    AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,205
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    All in all, already far superior to the glut of mascot platformers from the nineties, so if this game was made in 1992, it would be a masterpiece already. In no way lacking compared to other recent games for the Gen/MD.

    Notes:
    Menu interface: Face buttons need to be used for the menus, as well as start.
    Play control: Add double-tap to dash, leaving C as an alternate method of dashing. Speed up the "shift to wall-jump mode" transfer, to make the "wall jump ready" state more obvious.
    Color palette: The level itself is basically pink and blue, leading to a lack of differentiation between architectural structures.
    Enemies: Basic enemies need to be less resistant to damage if they're just first-level peons with pop-in-gotcha spawning.
    Level design: Lots of iffy jumps, and a "haha, you jumped too high and got hurt" spike trap. Dunno if shifting the camera upward would be a good idea or not. If the tilemap can support it, perhaps use animated electrical traps instead of spikes, on a tech-base type level? It would more easily indicate a hazard, rather than "here's some chewed up metal", and wouldn't need to extend so many tiles away from the surface. The first level should always be a tutorial level of sorts, without making it an obvious tutorial. There are a billion videos on the subject, most covering how Super Mario Brothers stage 1-1 teaches you most of the game mechanics in a progressing series.
    Music: Excellent quality, but it doesn't feel like it fits this level at all. It may also be a bit short, as it seems to loop rather frequently, considering how long the demo level is.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

  4. #4
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training agusSoulReaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thank you for picking interest in our project! It's our first game developing for Genesis so we are open to comments that can help us improve the game.
    16 Bits Forever, Forever, Forever...

  5. #5
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I played the demo rom, feels very professional with nice big sprites and responsive controls. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

  6. #6
    Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,454
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Can the developer confirm whether this game will be exclusive to the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive?

    It is getting a little annoying to see developers release the game on other platforms after the game is successful thanks to the fan base.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

  7. #7
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training agusSoulReaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Can the developer confirm whether this game will be exclusive to the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive?
    I can't confirm or deny that the game may be released on other platforms. I can only confirm that right now the game is being develop only for Genesis in pure assembly and with custom tool made by myself. Porting the game to other platform will require build the games almost from scratch.
    16 Bits Forever, Forever, Forever...

  8. #8
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,156
    Rep Power
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Can the developer confirm whether this game will be exclusive to the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive?

    It is getting a little annoying to see developers release the game on other platforms after the game is successful thanks to the fan base.
    I see what you mean, but try to look from this perspective instead: if developers can continue do their business thanks to ports to other platforms, we get more and better Mega Drive/Genesis games in the long run.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

  9. #9

    Default

    Nice. Looks great!

  10. #10
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,165
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Can the developer confirm whether this game will be exclusive to the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive?

    It is getting a little annoying to see developers release the game on other platforms after the game is successful thanks to the fan base.
    Then you risk ending up like Tanglewood where the guy got so burned out that he had to put on hold the Dreamcast version for promising too much way ahead of time.

    You could argue that then the platforms most worth it should be focused on first (and that'd be the modern platforms) but then that kind of defeats the whole point.

  11. #11
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,547
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    This game was already developped originally for the Mega Drive, with its hardware in mind, shouldn't that be enough? We have gotten a lot of 8-bit or 8-bit like homebrew ports already. Also many in-market MD games were SNES ports so they had SNES limitations + MD limitations which isn't great at all. At least there were a lot of Amiga ports which had similar hardware. Even some games were made with both systems in mind (Flashback IIRC).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

  12. #12
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,252
    Rep Power
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Notes:
    Menu interface: Face buttons need to be used for the menus, as well as start.
    Play control: Add double-tap to dash, leaving C as an alternate method of dashing. Speed up the "shift to wall-jump mode" transfer, to make the "wall jump ready" state more obvious.
    Color palette: The level itself is basically pink and blue, leading to a lack of differentiation between architectural structures.
    Enemies: Basic enemies need to be less resistant to damage if they're just first-level peons with pop-in-gotcha spawning.
    Level design: Lots of iffy jumps, and a "haha, you jumped too high and got hurt" spike trap. Dunno if shifting the camera upward would be a good idea or not. If the tilemap can support it, perhaps use animated electrical traps instead of spikes, on a tech-base type level? It would more easily indicate a hazard, rather than "here's some chewed up metal", and wouldn't need to extend so many tiles away from the surface. The first level should always be a tutorial level of sorts, without making it an obvious tutorial. There are a billion videos on the subject, most covering how Super Mario Brothers stage 1-1 teaches you most of the game mechanics in a progressing series.
    Music: Excellent quality, but it doesn't feel like it fits this level at all. It may also be a bit short, as it seems to loop rather frequently, considering how long the demo level is.
    This.

    Also, I'd like to have the ability to look up and down to have a better understanding of the platforms around me.

    An option to hold fire and charge the shot could be interesting to add some depth to gameplay tactics and also to get rid of enemies with a single shot; especially in sections where they appear once in a while.

    In terms of physics, the character seems to fall a bit too quickly to the point that when I'm trying to land after a double jump I feel like I don't have enough time to adjust its horizontal position.
    That OR you'd need to make the platform more visible during the jump maybe improving the camera code but that could probably backfire spectacularly.

    I'd suggest adding a lower level segment instead of falling-into-nothing deaths; especially in the early stages. That's more of an 8-bit platforming thing.
    For 16-bit design you'd be better having a lower section with more enemies/hazards to make it painful to the player (still rewarding skilled jumpers); this would avoid a lot of blind deaths/frustration IMHO.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-15-2019 at 10:22 AM.

  13. #13
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    twitter.com/davidlvna
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I'd like it to have more onscreen action. I like the demo, really, but it's like you fight an enemy, advance, fight another enemy, advance, one single enemy again, advance...

    Also, gaining some power-up for the weapon would be nice (Barone's option seems nice).

  14. #14
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,252
    Rep Power
    198

    Default

    ^I like the power-ups idea, even more if you place some of the power-up items in hard to reach platforms.

    Another little twist that could be added:
    - Full health -> Dash kills enemies.
    - Damaged health -> Dash has no attack power (as it is now).

  15. #15
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    twitter.com/davidlvna
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    ^I like the power-ups idea, even more if you place some of the power-up items in hard to reach platforms.

    Another little twist that could be added:
    - Full health -> Dash kills enemies.
    - Damaged health -> Dash has no attack power (as it is now).
    THIS! I was playing now the demo (finally beat that boss and got the Thanks for playing screen ^_^), and thought the same about the dash. Could add a lot of dynamism to the game, and act as some kind of strong attack and reward for good playing (no damage).

    Overall I really like the demo: it looks good, sounds good, and shows lots of potential. It certainly looks like it could be one of the great games for the MD, homebrew or not. I may support this. I wish you good luck, guys!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •