Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Rash case confusion

Mad Road Rash case confusion

So a few years back, I bought a CIB copy of Road Rash off eBay. When it arrived, I was frustrated to find that the game was in what I assumed to be a rental case. It had the Road Rash box art, but the inside resembled one of those old Blockbuster clamshell cases used for VHS tapes. There were no tabs to hold the manual or cartridge; they were just placed inside, free to knock about inside the case. Eventually, I sold that copy.

Well, a few days ago, I decided to get a new copy of Road Rash. I bought the game, waited for it to come, I opened the box...

...and guess what kind of case it was in. That's right. It was the exact same kind of rental case as my first copy.

What the heck is going on!? Was Road Rash ever just sold in a case like this? Am I crazy, or just the unluckiest loser on the face of the planet!?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

On eBay there's one Genesis Road Rash which seems to use an standard EA case:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Road-Rash-Ge...AAAOSwH-daCp2l

Look down for additional pics.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

The earlier EA releases came in slim, black cases that had no tabs to hold anything in place. I know this because my Shadow of the Beast was purchased factory sealed and I opened it myself. The seal was authentic and even had the sticker promoting the free poster inside. The original release of Road Rash was one of the earlier games that came in these types of cases.

EA switched to the fatter cases with the tabs later on.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

It's useful to share photos of this. But I posted on this on a couple of threads a couple of years back. I'll see if I can find those posts. But yeah, the earlier EA releases had longer, slimmer, tabless interiors.

Here's a pic of the inside of the case, as requested. Upon closer inspection, it is slimmer than a VHS case, and appears to have a broken tab.

Wildside Expert

I just bought a CIB Road Rash at a game store and it's also in that same type of case. It doesn't move around because when the case is closed the manual presses down on the cart and holds it in place.

Unfortunately, the insert is larger than games that are in standard cases so you can't even replace the case.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Arjak View Post
    So a few years back, I bought a CIB copy of Road Rash off eBay. When it arrived, I was frustrated to find that the game was in what I assumed to be a rental case. It had the Road Rash box art, but the inside resembled one of those old Blockbuster clamshell cases used for VHS tapes. There were no tabs to hold the manual or cartridge; they were just placed inside, free to knock about inside the case. Eventually, I sold that copy.

Well, a few days ago, I decided to get a new copy of Road Rash. I bought the game, waited for it to come, I opened the box...

...and guess what kind of case it was in. That's right. It was the exact same kind of rental case as my first copy.

What the heck is going on!? Was Road Rash ever just sold in a case like this? Am I crazy, or just the unluckiest loser on the face of the planet!?
    Holy shit, you bought back the exact same copy you sold all those years ago!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Holy shit, you bought back the exact same copy you sold all those years ago!
    Nobody wanted it and they all kept selling it over and over until it reached Arjak again!

now he can only do one thing, embrace it as a sign from the gaming gods or just chuck it in the trash and buy another.

Master of Shinobi

Come on, the cart is worth having for the title tune alone.

This is the authentic EA clamshell case the game shipped to retail in.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    This is the authentic EA clamshell case the game shipped to retail in.
    Yeah, he's right, I've seen lots of copies with the same case. Shadow of the Beast has the same style case originally as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Here's a pic of the inside of the case, as requested. Upon closer inspection, it is slimmer than a VHS case, and appears to have a broken tab.

The broken piece is the same as the small one to the right. No big deal. Cherish it because it is the rarest clamshell type on the system.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Weird. I've never seen a Mega Drive clamshell case like that over here in the UK before, from EA or anyone else. Must have been just doing the rounds in the US.

Nice shot of your semen encrusted keyboard by the way.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post

Thread Information