Quantcast

Thread: Sonic The Hedgehog Retail Version Sega Genesis Value Sky Rocketed

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Default Sonic The Hedgehog Retail Version Sega Genesis Value Sky Rocketed

I have been seeing the retail version of Sonic the Hedgehog ended listings on eBay going for hundreds of dollars. Is some crazy fool bidding up his own copies in hopes of raising its value or have I just not noticed the increase over the years?
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Master of Shinobi

The sells I see online seem to all use a similar/same picture, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is trying to jack up the trending price with a dummy account.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Somebody must be trying to tamper with the market. There must be more copies of the Sonic games on the Mega Drive than any other game on the system throughout all regions! Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles command a higher price than 1 or 2, but you still cannot say that any Sonic game is rare.

You clearly missed that eBay auction years ago that said "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 RARE" :​v

I'm going to assume that the retail version may be more rare (due to how many people may have gotten the game from being bundled with the console, it was the killer app after all), but yeah this is bullshit, I'm surprised this hasn't happened much earlier even.

EDIT: now I wonder what would be the price of those wrapped 6-button controllers in a box from that Sega warehouse long ago.

Only reason I can see this shit happening is because of that original Super Mario Bros. 1 cart being sold for stupid prices sealed.
    05/05/15

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post

EDIT: now I wonder what would be the price of those wrapped 6-button controllers in a box from that Sega warehouse long ago.
    wait, there are new 6 button controller that could appear on ebay?

Wildside Expert

I read somewhere that a sealed, graded retail copy sold for $1200 recently, so I think that has something to do with it. I've been following this trend too and it's only very recent. I sold a CIB retail copy a few months ago, and the high bid was $46. I don't think this is an attempt at market manipulation as there are way too many of these out there. A senior member of segaage recently auctioned off the ESRB re-release of Sonic and it went for over $200 which is the highest I've ever seen it go for.

The retail copies that don't have the ugly "Not For Resale" banner will always command a premium, but I don't think they will continue to sell for over $200.

I have a CIB original retail Sonic in mint condition (looks like it was just opened), with all the original inserts including the patents card (though the inserts aren't unique to Sonic). I was seriously considering listing it last week but I didn't want to take a chance that the bubble would burst just before mine sold. It's one of the favorite pieces in my collection and I didn't want to give it up.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 08-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I've heard the rumblings about this as well. It seems just really weird to me but I have heard that with a lot of comic collectors getting into the video game market speculation on certain key games is going up.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Eh, I'll just stick with Jazz Jackrabbit. Glad to have gotten both of them on sale at GOG for $6 each. Much better investment.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

I have every release of og Sonic the hedgehog on genesis/ megadrive in all regions. Collected them over time years back. You saying the clean cover is selling now? I may just start selling them off because now I realise theres no point in owning the same game 6 times. How much are the other versions going for in that case?

Thread Information