Quantcast

Thread: The history of burger time arcade documentary

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Default The history of burger time arcade documentary

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Another great video. I played the first game a lot back in the day, especially on Intellivision and Commodore 64.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Yeah, I played the Atari 2600 and C-64 versions. I could have sworn that the C-64 game was a knockoff by another name, maybe Meat Slap? I've never heard of the company that published it, or the developer, but my guess is that they took the Burger Slap game, put the BurgerTime name in it's place and published it as if it was meant to be arcade port for the C64.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

The C64 version I had did have the Burger Time name but Data East wasn't credited on it. It was a pirated copy of the Interceptor Micros port, and looks to be the same as in the video.

Yeah, Im just thinking that the company was looking to make a quick buck off of the Burger Time name, found a rip-off version being spread on a bulletin board and paid the guy to use it under the licensed name. A good example is a game called Space Pilot. There was never an official version of Time Pilot published on the C-64, but someone made an excellent rip-off of the arcade game.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

I love Burgertime. I actually have a recurring "character" on my own channel that's constantly referencing Burger Time.

EDIT: Finished watching the documentary and I must say it's excellently done. You earned yourself another sub
    Last edited by StuOhQ; 08-18-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Another great video. I played the first game a lot back in the day, especially on Intellivision and Commodore 64.
    Thank you, In my opinion the Intellivision version is the superior one. Nice large detailed sprites that are easily recognizable and it plays really good.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, I played the Atari 2600 and C-64 versions. I could have sworn that the C-64 game was a knockoff by another name, maybe Meat Slap? I've never heard of the company that published it, or the developer, but my guess is that they took the Burger Slap game, put the BurgerTime name in it's place and published it as if it was meant to be arcade port for the C64.
    There was a knockoff game on the 64 released in Europe called Mr. Wimpy. This is as blatant as you going to get in terms of clones. Honestly though, there were a lot of ripoff burgertime games But Mr. Wimpy Is probably the most famous.

Quote Originally Posted by StuOhQ View Post
    I love Burgertime. I actually have a recurring "character" on my own channel that's constantly referencing Burger Time.

EDIT: Finished watching the documentary and I must say it's excellently done. You earned yourself another sub
    Burgertime in my opinion is right up there with Pac-Man and donkey Kong in the videogame Hall of Fame. Thank you so much for the nice words and also for subscribing. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, Im just thinking that the company was looking to make a quick buck off of the Burger Time name, found a rip-off version being spread on a bulletin board and paid the guy to use it under the licensed name. A good example is a game called Space Pilot. There was never an official version of Time Pilot published on the C-64, but someone made an excellent rip-off of the arcade game.
    Speaking of space pilot the guy who did the homebrew of galaga for the Commodore is the same author.

Yeah, that PET conversion. I'd say that it was pretty impressive for a PET game.

Thread Information