Quantcast

Thread: 30 Years of Sega Genesis!!!

Genesis 30 Years of Sega Genesis!!!

I can't believe it's been 30 years already. I also can't believe there wasn't a thread for this on Sega-16 of all places.

I can remember when I first played one. We traveled out of state to a friends house and their older son had gotten one. We all played some Golden Axe, Altered Beast, and the then brand new Sonic 1. That trip definitely left me wanting more than my old NES could provide.

Let's share some early memories of the mighty Genesis, the small fish that took on the big shark that was Nintendo and gave them a fight that nobody thought possible.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Indeed it's a glorious day! I can't claim to be an OG since I didn't get mine until well after Sonic 2 came out, but damn do I love me some Sega.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Uh no. You got it wrong. GENESIS launches next month dude.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Wildside Expert

My parents bought me one for Christmas 1989. Within a few months I had Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Super Hang On & Tommy Lasorda Baseball. My most vivid memory is pitching a perfect game against my best friend in TLB. I was hooked from then until today. I would buy all the magazines back then to get glimpses of amazing upcoming games like Sonic, Super Monaco GP & Thunder Force III. Still my favorite all time system.

Happy Birthday Genesis, 30 years, what a great moment in video game history. Still my absolute favorite system to play.
    Thanks for challenging nintendo and making the video game industry up its game.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Holy crap! 30 years! Wow! Happy birthday, you black beauty you.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

Wipes tear

Happy anniversary. I honestly don't remember getting my Genesis as I was 4 or 5. But I will never forget having it and revisiting it when I got older to get the games I couldnt afford as a child.

Master of Shinobi

What is a Genesis? Has it something to do with Evangelion? Megadrive was released 31 years ago.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

It's a terraforming device invented by the Marcus dr's.

You're both wrong! It's a Hyundai!

And for anyone unaware, I was referring to the US release.

I'm not an OG either. My first video game console was a used N64 from the local mall EBGames which was $15 circa 2002. I saved up my allowance for a few weeks.

I got the N64 because my friend had one, but it just wasn't doing it for me. Then I saw a used copy of Sonic Adventure at this same store. I had seen Sonic's TV shows before (the dark and lighthearted ones) so I recognized him. I noticed it was on a disc, and since I assumed that all discs were the same, I thought that Sonic Adventure was a PC game. It looked rad so I got it. I was pretty sad when it didn't even read except for the warning audio track, and just kept rereading the owner's manual and looking at the blurry black and white images in it. No one I knew had Sega anything.

After a few more weeks of allowance I amassed a grand $20 which was enough to get a used Dreamcast. This must've been in late 2002/early 2003. As it happened, that day Funcoland was running a promotion where a used Dreamcast would come with two controllers instead of one, and two VMUs.

This convinced me that Sega was touched by divinity, or something similar. Anything Sega-related just seemed to have a twinge of good luck and security associated with it. When I got home and tried Sonic Adventure (which also came with a demo of SA2 by chance), I was completely blown away by the music, the visuals, and the experience. Through the Dreamcast, I found out about the world of Sega including Genesis which was not available locally anywhere by then. I haven't gotten off the Sega train since and I still have that Dreamcast and copy of SA.

Thank you Sega! It all started with Genesis...

I still remember like yesterday, looking at the early screenshots of games like Alerted beast, Golden Axe Ect and not believing they were real screenshots. I remember playing Alerted beast and being amazed at the definition on the arm muscle of the 1st Boss Alerted beast and when playing Revenge Of Shinobi, just couldn't believe that moon rising and the parallax scrolling (this was the game that made me understand what parallax scrolling actually meant) and to this very day the term 'This Bike runs likes a firecracker' still sticks with me from Super Hang-On
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

For me, the NA Genesis and TG16 launch windows were intertwined.

1989 was a really exciting launch era because it was the first one where I had a bunch of information and screenshots ahead of time, and the technology felt like such a big leap ahead. There was lots of magazine coverage that didnít exist to that extent for the 8-bit Nintendo and Sega a few years earlier given the computer-dominated market at the time.

Official launch days werenít really a thing back then. There were no midnight line ups. New game systems just kind of arrived in stores.

Some Electronic Gaming Monthly articles and Video Games & Computer Entertainment covers:

https://nintendotimes.com/1989/05/24...segas-genesis/ 1

I definitely remember seeing this TV commercial for the Genesis.

For the TurboGrafx, I didnít see a TV ad for another year or so (with Bonk in it) but I remember seeing a store flyer around launch. I think it was from Radio Shack.

As I started my grade 9 school year in September, there were gaming discussions/arguments with other kids on the bus ride home. Most talk was about NES, SMS, and C64 but a few of us were excited about the new game systems.

In 1989, the mainstream was all about the NES and Game Boy so demo units for the Genesis and TG16 werenít as widespread. In Canada, one of the best places to try out new niche systems was a now extinct store called Compucentre.

Compucentre was neat because they always had several TVs and game systems hooked up, and you could ask to try any game they had (as long as you didnít ask too much). This is where I first saw the Genesis and TG16 in person with Space Harrier II and Keith Courage in Alpha Zones . I was impressed with their detail and atmosphere.

Because of the high expense of new consoles, I asked for 8-bit games for my 14th birthday and Christmas that year (Kenseiden, Ninja Gaiden, and Time Soldiers all kicked ass) but I began saving up for a 16-bit machine right after that and played as much Genesis and TG16 as I could in the mean time at malls. In early and mid 1990, a friend bought a TG16 and I bought a Genesis. Between borrowing and renting, we caught up with the launch era titles quite quickly. I did later get a TG16 of my own after some price drops.

The highlights for me of the first five or so months of North American 16-bit console releases were:

On Genesis -

The Revenge of Shinobi

Ghouls n Ghosts

Tommy Lasorda Baseball

Wikipedia says Golden Axe made it out in 1989 but in my experience, it arrived in Spring 1990, a bit outside of the launch window.

On TurboGrafx -

Alien Crush

Legendary Axe

Blazing Lazers

Thread Information