Quantcast

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: 2nd generation console discussion(Intellivision, Colecovision, 2600, Odyssey 2)

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I would buy a 5200, if those controllers weren't such a pos. I've actually looked into those gold plated contact replacements, but I don't think that those would remedy the stick itself. The 5200 could have been something special, had Atari actually invested more into the console.
    You can get a custom controller adapter. I play 2D games using a Genesis pad.

My rebuilt stock controller works as good as they can, which is enough to play 2D games well. But you have to adjust to centering the stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It would be more of a nostalgia thing (it's a console I wanted back in 1982) for me. You have to put in a lot of workarounds to get the thing working properly, and I don't know if it's really worth all of that effort. A majority of its llibrary is available on my C64, which made it pretty easy for me to not persue getting one. I can get a boxed, complete console for fairly cheap though.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    I think the game looked reasonable on the Atari, especially the brown/orange sections. The Spectrum version suffered worse IMO

Biggest problems with these systems here was the development environment really. The games were too cheap and disposable, I mean how much was Draconus when it was brand new? 2.99? I know that was what it cost when it came out on Spectrum and C64.
    Just ran into some info, Draconus was actually full price on Atari, unlike the other versions.

Its possible the game was made for Atari 8-bit machines and then ported to budget on other machines.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The 8-bit Atari computers were the lead hardware for quite some time. When Atari put those computers out to market, they sold quite well in Europe. It did okay in North America, until the Apple IIe arrived and then the C64. A lot of programmers got their experience on the Atari 8-bit computers.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I would buy a 5200, if those controllers weren't such a pos. I've actually looked into those gold plated contact replacements, but I don't think that those would remedy the stick itself. The 5200 could have been something special, had Atari actually invested more into the console.
    I lucked out with my 5200 when I got it back in the early 2000s as a friend of mine gave me a non-working set of Wico controllers and the wico keypad. The controllers couldn't be repaired due to broken plastic inside them, but the keypad was a different story. I had that keypad in storage for years before finding it one day about 3 years ago and deciding to look more into it. Well about 20min later once I cleaned and rebuilt the switch buttons and the controller cable and that keypad is working good as new! I use it with an AtariAge redemption adapter that allows me to use a Genesis 3 button pad for the controls and the wico keypad for everything else.

Now some games I prefer to use the stock controllers for them. Star Raiders, Star Wars:TAG, Dreadnought Factor and The Last Star Fighter come to mind as working better with the original stock controller due to the analog nature of it and those games supporting it well.

Thread Information