Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 32X current prices

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    exactly
    and worst of all, people still trash the game.
    Yeah, but to be fair, people only trash Knuckles Chaotix because it sucks.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Yeah, but to be fair, people only trash Knuckles Chaotix because it sucks.
    Agreed. It feels like it isn't even finished.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux133 View Post
    Agreed. It feels like it isn't even finished.
    Interesting. Chaotix certainly seems to be a polarising game. I never got the chance to play Knuckles Chaotix but have always been curious about it. Does it play like a classic Sonic game or something else entirely? It seems to be the Marmite of the Sonic franchise, people seem to either love Chaotix or downright hate it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Interesting. Chaotix certainly seems to be a polarising game. I never got the chance to play Knuckles Chaotix but have always been curious about it. Does it play like a classic Sonic game or something else entirely? It seems to be the Marmite of the Sonic franchise, people seem to either love Chaotix or downright hate it.
    It's... odd. It kinda plays like classic Sonic but there's the whole tether system thrown into the mix. My issue with the game is that the levels are super barren and some are fairly aimless. There's few enemies, not many obstacles, the tether system kinda sucks and can be really annoying. Granted, I've never beaten it, but that's because the game does little to hold my attention.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

I liked Knuckles Chaotix, it's definitely different though. The tether system is pretty much the opposite of what'd you want for classic Sonic gameplay. It kind of restricts the speed element. However, it was a Knuckles centered game, so there was room to try out new mechanics. It just doesn't enhance core Sonic gameplay really. Sometimes the tether system feels reminiscent of Aquatic Ruin Zone in 'Sonic the Hedgehog 2' where Sonic gets his foot occasionally trapped while running.

Yeah I must say I never liked the sound of the tether mechanic in Chaotix, but I hear the music in the game is superb, some of the best in the series, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Nice graphics, good music, it certainly looks the part. Even if you get used to the tether mechanic though, the level design is just blah. Boring landscapes and basic, bare bones design structure that feel like something a child would come up with, not levels that hold up to the Genesis Sonic games.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Spendle's Avatar

It's still the only game I have any interest in buying these days. I'm just waiting for the right deal (if one exists) given the high price for the PAL version.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Nice graphics, good music, it certainly looks the part. Even if you get used to the tether mechanic though, the level design is just blah. Boring landscapes and basic, bare bones design structure that feel like something a child would come up with, not levels that hold up to the Genesis Sonic games.
    Hmm interesting. Sounds like Chaotix suffers from the opposite problem that I feel Sonic CD had with regards level design. Whereas you say that there's not enough going on in the levels of Chaotix, I feel there is too much going on in Sonic CD. I always felt Sonic CD's levels were too big, too cluttered and, compared to Sonic's Mega Drive outings, non intuitive and poorly designed. Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of things about Sonic CD, especially the soundtrack which is just fucking amazing and I love the art style and graphical effects, but I always felt that as a whole it was let down by the level design.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar

I never understood why Chaotix got so expensive if many believe it's just a poor game.

If anyone want to separate from his own copy for $60, I'm here anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    I never understood why Chaotix got so expensive if many believe it's just a poor game.

If anyone want to separate from his own copy for $60, I'm here anytime.
    When you consider just how much shite is on the 32X yet the system itself alongside most of it's horrendous library inexplicably sells for a king's ransom these days, you come to realise that the quality of a particular game/system sometimes has very little to do with it's artificially inflated market value. I mean let's be honest, the only two games that I personally would want if I did ever lay hands on a 32X would be Knuckles Chaotix and Mortal Kombat II. This fact says far more about the 32X than it does me. Worth the asking price? Not in a million years.

I bought a fair number of the PAL games over 15 years ago for the 32X as I was intrigued and never had experience of it when it was originally released. I remember the Mega-CD being advertised but the 32X was far more obscure to me. Needless to say, most of the games I've played on the system have a demo feel to them - developers experimenting but never fully committing. So it does baffle me the high price commanded for the hardware and software, but collecting these days is all about owning the 'rare' shit rather than the good shit.

Attachment 15555

I've got 'em all (well, except Darxide). Honestly, not a lot of great games there. But there are a few gems. The Virtua Racing Deluxe is vastly superior to the chipped version for Genesis or even the Saturn version.
    Ow! My small intestine!

I've been looking at Mega-CD 32X games on eBay. There's a few 'replacement' cases on there which are repro inlays and it's got me wondering how you can tell if you're buying a CIB game with the original inlay or someone marking up a game with a repro inlays as complete? From the photos on eBay, the repros actually seem to be of a good standard - something I dislike! In the past they've been obviously different but I'm struggling here.

Here are a couple of links:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173860289944
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173865663037
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173860266508

Thread Information