Quantcast

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Demons of Asteborg: new platformer on Kickstarter!

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Their recent update states:

The game will be released for the real SEGA Genesis / Megadrive (I, II, and III) and currently the prototype runs perfectly on the real console.
    and has a video clip showing something running on a CRT, I'm hoping that something is a Mega Drive.

Release demos with your Kickstarters, folks! It calms the nerves (and damn, does it get you a lot of free press...)

Earlier I said I would probably back this, but having thought about it I think I'll wait some more. The kickstarter page says that some of the graphics will need to be redrawn before release and it would be nice to know what's placeholder and what's final.

They've got some good ideas, but the kickstarter just doesn't seem convincing to me ($1,000,000 and they'll create an online mode?). I'm also not totally convinced by the aim of an August 2020 release.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

I recognized a lot of freely available background art in the trailer, and also some character art. If they want to change all of it, that's quite a bit.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Wildside Expert

Yeah, I don't think they're ready for a Kickstarter. It's too early and the game looks like it. And the amount they're asking for is too little.

I love the art style, but the game design is basically knocking off games on Castlevania 3 or Space Harrier with different sprites.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvilCorporation View Post
    Their recent update states:

and has a video clip showing something running on a CRT, I'm hoping that something is a Mega Drive.

Release demos with your Kickstarters, folks! It calms the nerves (and damn, does it get you a lot of free press...)

I agree 100%.

If they've got a running proto of some sort they should have done what they could to make something as a playable demo, it would make a lot more people likely to back as well.

At this point in the game they should understand that there are enough KS scams to make people like me leery, and while a demo is no proof of success it at least shows what has gone into a project so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I think everything shown about this game is perfectly feasible for Mega Drive, low colors sprites and backgrounds and the animation style is very reminiscent of western platform games such as Aladdin, Mahui Mallard or Earthworm Jim, repair the jump movement.

But this point intrigues me, seems a tranparent layer and something how CRAM points?

1:04

P.S.:
    I remembered Ninja Mitsuo a demo recently shown in spritesmind where the assets are pretty much same as those shown on kickstarter trailer.

http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/...php?f=8&t=2971
    Last edited by EPSYLON EAGLE; 09-29-2019 at 12:09 AM.

WCPO Agent

From that video yeah the map scrolls across the screen so the color count is no big deal, I don't know how that translucency at 1:04 is supposed to work but I guess anything is possible. It may not be the most original game ever but I like these kinds of platformers, music sounds really good too.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Nothing about this game reminds me of Castlevania, Ghouls & Ghosts, or Panzer Dragoon. If anything, it looks a lot like SLAIN: Back from Hell for the PC with a sprinkle of Space Harrier.

At this point, I'm just not convinced by this. The lack of a demo ROM, the relatively short development time for multiple platforms, the lack of past successful campaigns, and the relatively low campaign goal for all of it give me pause.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not implying that these guys are out to scam anyone, but that I need to see more to believe this will be successful. Even if they are, I can't imagine any scenario where they would meet such a short deadline considering that practically every retro game has failed to meet theirs even when the game was essentially completed. This one appears to be very early. They have their work cut out for them.

As for 1:04… I think they just overlaid two unrelated scenes for the video. If that's meant to be an effect then it's an awful one because you don't get to see what you're doing for more than a split second! :​v

Hero of Algol

I see several issues with this campaign:
    - No demo available.
    - No footage of it running on real hardware showing the actual status of the project.
    - Team members are vastly inexperienced with game design and game development; no commercial releases or professional game development work that I could find.
    - Initial goal is way too low for what they are aiming to do.
    - Who is going to publish the game on Steam and Switch? Do they have any prior experience with that?
    - Artists are not team members. It's unclear to me if they are sure about who to work with if the project is successfully funded.
    - Sound effects not mentioned anywhere in the campaign page.
    - No budget allocation for marketing/publishing, makes no sense in real world, especially when you're talking Switch port and whatnot. I have to assume they will then depend on a partnership with an existing publisher which is not defined yet.
    - No testing/QA phase plans whatsoever.
    - No details on cartridge manufacturing; so we have no idea on what kind of packaging and manufacturing quality we're investing here.
    - Development section is rather superficial not providing any kind of proposed schedule/development plan, no information about tools and editors being used by the team, processes, etc. Nothing.
    - Reused assets which will have to be replaced, so no real idea where the project stands at this moment.
    - Useless crap such as mugs and arcade machines. WTF?!

Sorry, but I'm not supporting this one.
    People should be more serious and more professional about these projects prior to asking for community funding.
    And the community should be a lot more cautious towards something like this IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    - Useless crap such as mugs and arcade machines. WTF?!
    That had me scratching my head too. Its almost like they saw the Paprium arcade cab and thought: "we can do that for our game!"

I don't think the team are trying to scam anyone, but with the way the kickstarter page reads, I'm reminded of the guy we all know (usually a colleague) who has hundreds of great ideas and no knowledge of how to accomplish any of them. The team behind Demons of Asteborg need to go away for a while and rethink the whole game and then maybe come back later with a better kickstarter and a more thorough plan of action and significantly fewer placeholder assets.

*edit
    I want to make it clear that I would definitely back the game if the team looked like they had a better idea of where to go with it. It really looks like the type of game that I would like to play.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 09-29-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I guess I've ben in a "cave" of US politics, and hadn't noticed other news. I originally pledged this game, but cancelled this morning when I learned of Kickstarter's unjustifiable firing of employees who tried to unionize.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Is it just me or are the pledge tiers really confusing ...

For example there are 3 separate tiers titled Demons Of Asteborg Supporter I, Demons Of Asteborg Supporter II and Demons Of Asteborg Supporter III. Maybe I am reading it wrong but can't figure out what the differences are between the three except that one is labelled Europe only.

Also the visuals need a little improvement. They need a bit more detail both in terms the backgrounds and sprite work.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hey folks just wanted to say that I recently interviewed the developers and will have a video up on Tuesday (or at least I hope to have it up on Tuesday).

They also sent me a raw pre-alpha rom file of the game. You can see me playing it with the fusion emulator here: https://twitter.com/St1ka/status/1178357878450769920
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Thread Information