Quantcast

Thread: RAD2x Retro HDMI Cable

Default RAD2x Retro HDMI Cable

What do you guys think of the RAD2x?

I'm hoping it will spare me from the urge to buy a Mega SG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyE85OFGQpM
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

It looks like a really good setup to me. It is basically like putting a retrotink2x on the cable directly but without the configuration requirements since each would be setup for the specific consoles the cable supports. Kinda curious why this wasn't tested on a TG-16 or PCE with RGB board in place that uses a model2 MD AV out like the one's I've seen from DB.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

A simple plug-n-play solution that works as intended is always welcome. Hopefully, as prices come down, we'll eventually see a 3x version of these cables. In the meanwhile, if your TV does a good job of scaling 480p, this seems like a good solution for basic needs.
    Last edited by avlon; 10-01-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

I already have a Model 1 and 2 with HD Retrovision cables, and a Mega SG - and I'm still thinking about trying one. It would make for a nice easy solution for my N64.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Out of this World! HD Retrovision Sega Saturn Review - Kit Reviews, Episode 9

Master of Shinobi

Just received mine (MD1/GEN1 version without audio jack). Should have better read the product description: why the fork didn't they use a regular sized hdmi port ? Now I have to buy a cable just to use that cable !
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

IIRC hdmi requires a license fee to use, that's why things like rpi come with DVI and suggest you use an adapter.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Just received mine (MD1/GEN1 version without audio jack). Should have better read the product description: why the fork didn't they use a regular sized hdmi port ? Now I have to buy a cable just to use that cable !
    You should be able to use a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter. They're cheap and you can use any HDMI cable that you wish afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    You should be able to use a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter. They're cheap and you can use any HDMI cable that you wish afterwards.
    This is what I would do as well. That way you can leave the mini-HDMI plugged into the Rad2x at all times to prevent wear on the small mini port. I use a small mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter off my dreamcast I installed a DCHDMI into as that also uses a mini-HDMI port.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Wonder Boy's Avatar

Looks great for those who need a solution for HDMI output, especially since some low-quality ones have started to become prevalent (Pound cables, et al).

Personally, I'm happy with the HD Retrovision cables. I don't even own a TV or monitor that accepts HDMI actually.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I picked one up for the saturn, arrived the other day, but I forgot to get the mini HDMI cable, so I have to wait for that to arrive. It says on the site that the Saturn RAD2X is compatible with NTSC and PAL Saturn's. Will it not work with my JAP region saturn? I have both US and Jap Saturn's, but most of my good games are on the Jap model.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training eukara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    I picked one up for the saturn, arrived the other day, but I forgot to get the mini HDMI cable, so I have to wait for that to arrive. It says on the site that the Saturn RAD2X is compatible with NTSC and PAL Saturn's. Will it not work with my JAP region saturn? I have both US and Jap Saturn's, but most of my good games are on the Jap model.
    JAP Saturns are NTSC, so they'll work

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Somehow I did not know that. Thanks!

Master of Shinobi

so I tested a bit the MD/GEN 1 cable (with mono audio over hdmi, which can just be muted if you connect decent speakers to the console's stereo audio jack, which should be mandatory) with the games I'm most used in terms of video (Sonic 1, SorR II).
    The result is great. Video image a bit dim which I actually prefer (I don't know if it's caused by my poor man's mini hdmi to hdmi short cable) and I had to force my 1080p 25" ips PC monitor to 4:3
    Everything is there including thick colour borders and CRAM dots on both games. Maybe I could just trim the image but too lazy to do so atm.

I do slightly prefer the smoothing filter off but would have like some kind of middle ground option because the raw image is, well, pixelated. And the absence of scanlines + outputting RGB instead of composite makes it too sharp imho.

As expected there's no dithering happening (you need composite or a heavy cpu-load filter to do so if you want to avoid the blurriness of Fusion's composite filter).
    Image is great quality though it somewhat makes me think I'm emulating though I'm not! This is particularly true when using the smoothing filter. I guess that's what you get when you use any screen other than a CRT.

I can't wait to test this on a wall-sized projector image. Up until now I was using a regular small sized CRT and GEN 1 with scart (rgb) output (using a Genesis 1 in Europe sounds like the best option in image quality terms to me)
    Itīs the best option for casual fans and enthusiasts on a budget. I totally recommend it. I wouldn't get it for my MD 2s as they have saturated RGB output (at least mine).
    Last edited by chilled; 01-12-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

I was going to pick some up to do a video, but I ended up passing on them. Too many awesome retro gaming products on the horizon. Striker DC, Dreamcast YPbPr cables, Analogue Pocket, Mega SG cartridge adapters, OSSC Pro, maybe even the RetroN Ultra 64... My wallet can't tolerate it

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Out of this World! HD Retrovision Sega Saturn Review - Kit Reviews, Episode 9

Thread Information